Is this VIN a 68 340S?

-

Mark Wilson

Reaction score
A friend passed away earlier this year and his sister has asked me to help find out a little about his cars. One is a 68 Barracuda coupe that is supposed to be a 340S. Car is red out/white in, auto and AC. He quit driving it around 2000 or 01 and I don't know if it broke or he just parked it.

This VIN is BH23P8B146147. Can anyone confirm this is a real S? thanks

yes, i dont know much bout barracudas as to say if its an "S" but it is a 340 4-barrel car built at Hamtramck, Michigan plant

I'm pretty sure that ALL the 68 "P" code Barracudas were S cars since that's the only package it was available on, IIRC. The 5th digit P designates the 340.

In '69 you could get a 340 in even a base model barracuda. Don't know about '68. But that '68 is definitely a 340 car due to the "P" engine code in the VIN. Does it have a fender tag?

You will need to give us the fender tag codes.This tag will be under the hood near the battery.
Jim

A friend passed away earlier this year and his sister has asked me to help find out a little about his cars. One is a 68 Barracuda coupe that is supposed to be a 340S. Car is red out/white in, auto and AC. He quit driving it around 2000 or 01 and I don't know if it broke or he just parked it.

This VIN is BH23P8B146147. Can anyone confirm this is a real S? thanks

That sounds right, big block cars would be BH23H8B........ Punch those digits into the VIN decoder here on the site and see what comes up. Whether the car survived with it`s/a 340 in it is another question.

there yea go nice cars i know were a 68 fish is its a /6 or 318 car i think its been sittin in one spot so long the tires are buried deep so that the rockers are laying on the ground ps.. i used to live some-wut by south bend syracuse indiana
yep, in '68 P/340 Barracuda's were all S cars

Thanks for the replys. The car has lived in dry west Texas all it's life, but I haven't seen it yet and his sis doesn't know enough to find the fender tag. I'm planning on a trip to pick up one of his cars (73 Porsche 911S targa) in the next couple of weeks and will be able to get some pics and more info on the Barracuda. I'm pretty sure she is going to sell it, so after we dig up a little more info, I'll need help determining value.

I'm sorry to see you lost a friend. That sucks....

As for the VIN, like everyone else mentioned, in `68 that P in the VIN was the Formula S option. It should also have disc brakes and sure-grip at the least. If it's a dry southern car, it shouldn't be a problem finding a home for it. It's just too bad you have to find it one. Again, my condolences....

Disc brakes and a Sure-Grip differential were not standard on 68 S cars.

The P is actually the code for the 340 engine and with that came the Formula-S package. H is the code for the 383 engine and along with that came the Formula-S package. The Formula-S package would be better described as a suspension package more than anything else but it was always accompanied by a hot engine, whether it was HP 273, 340, or a 4 bbl. 383. As our new member (formula-s) said, disc brakes and sure-grip rear ends were both optional equipment on Formula-S models.

I stand corrected! After I posted that response I had second thoughts too.... My bad.

Yes the 5th digit in the Vi. should be P.The 340 in 68 was only in the Formula S Models.And was notoffered in a standard 68 Barracuda model.The Formula S package should also be a 367 sales code.The Formula S package is 340v8 4bbl w/Dual exhaust,tachometer,HD suspension package(front sway bar,HD torsion bars,and HD leaf springs),firm ride shock absorbers,Formula S fender medallions,engine plaque,E70x14 red streak wide oval tires and 14x5.5 wide rims.
Jim

Correct, tachs were an option, the "performance indicator" was also optional... my '68 didn't come with eather. My car also came with an open 3.23:1 8 3/4, 4 wheel HD (10X2") manual drum brakes, and white wall tires, dlx. hub caps, and the 14X5.5 wheels.

Starting in 67 the Formula-S cars were optioned with either a HP 273 or for the first time a 383 big block. In 68 the 340 replaced the 273 in Formula-S models but the 383 was still offered. Also by 68 the tach was not part of the package but optional equipment.

Wow, I was fooling around watching the Olympics and by the time I replied to the post about the tach there were three more posts. Lol!

`69 is where things get confusing for me , I`ve seen 340 Barracudas with both "`Cuda" badging and/or with one formula-S badge on the right rear deck lid. Were P, H, and M-code cars "`Cuda`s" or Formula-S cars, or are they one in the same? Didn`t the P-code 340 turn into an H-code once the 383 was extinct?

All this talk is got me wanting a 68 Formula S again.Sure would go nice with my 68 GTS.
Jim

Thanks for all the great info. Warren Hall was my friend's name. He was stricken with Cystic Fibrosis when younger, but lived to an amazing 57 years of age before the disease finally got him. He had been a fixture on Pelican Parts bbs since it's beginning and was an amazing source of info about early Porsche 911's (1965 - 1973). He researched and freely gave information to any who asked. He also never got into bbs squabbles and acted with decorum like so many others there don't.

He called his Barracuda "Rolling Thunder" but stopped driving it several years ago. He was a real car guy andd I was proud to call him my friend.

I'm going to buy his 73 911S targa and restore it in his honor. The signal Yellow targa below is what Annie will look like restored He had named it "Annie" after his mom and the car will continue to wear that name. She will be a proper addition to my "Ginger" - the silver 993, pictured below.

Thanks again for all the info. I'll continue to update as I find more about the Barracuda.

Mark

IMG_0198.jpg

P1010057.jpg

The Formula S and the 'Cuda are two different packages. Jim

Okay, so what`s what, or what is the `Cuda package, a cool name, a marketing strategy? There`s a `69 `Cuda just down the street from my mothers old house and it`s a 340 4spd. car . It`s green with black stripes ,dual hood scoops, dog dish caps, 340 `Cuda badging- decal on the lower fenders and a round Formula-S medallion on the deck lid????? The lady bought it new.

-
Back