It's Chilli time!

-
I did competitive chili cook-offs for years, both with and without beans. Here's my favorite recipe. Feel free to substitute less spicy ingredients. This version is fairly tame in my book, I like it pretty stout.

1# lean (93%) ground chuck, "chili grind"
1# Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage
1 large onion, about 4-5"
3 celery stalks, sliced 1/4" thick
3 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, and diced to 1/2" or so
1/3 C hot New Mexico chili powder (Chimayo is the best if you can find it) - feel free to add more to suit your taste
1t seasoned salt
1t black pepper
1T cumin
2t Mexican oregano
1t thyme
3 light beers, divided
1 C chicken stock
1 qt canned tomatoes
1/2 cup each dry kidney, pinto, and white beans - or one 15 oz can of each

If using dry beans, wash and pick through them, then soak overnight.

Brown chuck and sausage and remove from pan with slotted spoon, drain on paper towels.
Save about 2T of drippings and saute onions, celery, and poblanos till mostly tender.
Add meat back to pan with all spices and one light beer. Cook down till beer is almost gone. Pour the next beer into the cook and continue the process.
Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock, and either the drained beans or canned beans.
Bring to boil, cover and turn down low for 60-90 minutes. Pour the last beer into the cook.
Check the beans for done-ness. If needed add water. Correct the seasonings as desired.
Serve with grated cheese and fine chopped fresh onions. I like this spooned into fresh homemade corn or flour tortillas, hot off the griddle. If this isn't God's chosen food it has to be close to the top of the list.
Glad to see I not the only one to use Cerveza for to cook Clili :thumbsup: :D

My mom put black olives in her chili, anyone else do that? Served with white bread and butter.

My wife is also from Texas and says chili has no beans.

The perfect chili has some beans, but not overwhelming. As mentioned above, finely ground beef and fresh seasoning(no packets) are the best secrets of high quality chili.

I’m from California and we eat our chili with tortillas! But a little jalapeño corn bread makes a close second.

The kids at church love my "chili surprise"
They're always disappointed when i bring something else to a potluck
"Geeh 'rage, what's the surprise?"

I'm glad you asked
The surprise is that it's meatballs in bbq sauce
The kids love it

I just heard of smoked chili smoked in a smoker.

Anyone else?

The best secret to making excellent chili that I've found is don't use chili seasoning.
I don't. It costs Too Much ( if it wasn't filled with sodium, which is why I don't buy it, I wouldn't care about the price!) But the garbage is sell even at the cheaper grocery stores like a Dollar General I think is up to a buck about 50 for a little package and it's mainly all salt. Chili Powder, Cayenne, and Cumin. Fresh garlic fresh onion, I grow Super Chile's and Jalapeños.... also some shredded Mexican cheese, thick cut to top it. If it comes out too Brutal or jalapenos are too hot, just add some sour cream. I've never liked mine that way especially since a the Smallest container of sour cream, its a buck 75. The Gal like it what am I gonna say? That Gal kept me Alive for the last 5 months, and has been BUSTING her *** keeping up with what little work we have, AND PUTTING UP WITH MY ***! she cam have all the sour cream.....
My mom put black olives in her chili, anyone else do that? Served with white bread and butter.

My wife is also from Texas and says chili has no beans.

The perfect chili has some beans, but not overwhelming. As mentioned above, finely ground beef and fresh seasoning(no packets) are the best secrets of high quality chili.

I’m from California and we eat our chili with tortillas! But a little jalapeño corn bread makes a close second.
Jalapeño Corn Bread is The FIRE! needs Real butter, the salted kind! Lol

20221017_185453.jpg

Last edited:
I don't. It costs Too Much ( if it wasn't filled with sodium, which is why I don't buy it, I wouldn't care about the price!) But the garbage is sell even at the cheaper grocery stores like a Dollar General I think is up to a buck about 50 for a little package and it's mainly all salt. Chili Powder, Cayenne, and Cumin. Fresh garlic fresh onion, I grow Super Chile's and Jalapeños.... also some shredded Mexican cheese, thick cut to top it. If it comes out too Brutal or jalapenos are too hot, just add some sour cream. I've never liked mine that way especially since a the Smallest container of sour cream, its a buck 75. The Gal like it what am I gonna say?

Jalapeño Corn Bread is The FIRE! needs Real butter, the salted kind! Lol
I use low sodium taco seasoning. There. Now it's not a secret. LOL

Nice! I'm a cheating ****,what I do is I read the back of the label dissect it and then just go by the bottles, for a buck a piece and make my own
I use the cheapest store brand low sodium taco seasoning I can find. It's normally 63 cents a packet. When I make chili, that's the ONLY seasoning I add. My spaghetti is similar, but to that I add Italian seasoning and garlic and that's ALL. I've found through the years the more seasonings you add, the bigger chance you're gonna screw it up. Keep it simple.

I use the cheapest store brand low sodium taco seasoning I can find. It's normally 63 cents a packet. When I make chili, that's the ONLY seasoning I add. My spaghetti is similar, but to that I add Italian seasoning and garlic and that's ALL. I've found through the years the more seasonings you add, the bigger chance you're gonna screw it up. Keep it simple.
Powdered seasoning, I agree, but on your fresh seasonings and Veggies (I know you and Kitty don't eat it too hot, because You told me , lol) there's a balance on that too.. for like a 6x12 round pot I use a whole head of garlic and a whole, usually red onion. I dig my GA Sweet ones, just not in chili, lol) Now, I ain't tried Italian seasoning in chili, (that I KNOW OF, who knows what the crazy witches in my past did? Lol) I will remember that for the next batch! Thank You!

Powdered seasoning, I agree, but on your fresh seasonings and Veggies (I know you and Kitty don't eat it too hot, because You told me , lol) there's a balance on that too.. for like a 6x12 round pot I use a whole head of garlic and a whole, usually red onion. I dig my GA Sweet ones, just not in chili, lol) Now, I ain't tried Italian seasoning in chili, (that I KNOW OF, who knows what the crazy witches in my past did? Lol) I will remember that for the next batch! Thank You!
I used to love hot peppers and such, but now I just go for flavor.

I used to love hot peppers and such, but now I just go for flavor.
I caint do the hot myself, as much as I used too....I like Flavor, I don't want it like ketchup, but, so HOT it Tortures You to eat it, and is a Nuke out the back, well.... that's excessive. I wanna Enjoy what I've been Blessed with. Not make it Painful

I caint do the hot myself, as much as I used too....I like Flavor, I don't want it like ketchup, but, so HOT it Tortures You to eat it, and is a Nuke out the back, well.... that's excessive. I wanna Enjoy what I've been Blessed with. Not make it Painful
Exactly.

Yessir! One small Super Chile and 'bout 1/2 or so of a Jalapeño, (depending on size, and the Scoville Scale, lol) once you add the garlic and onion and then do your Cayenne, chili powder, and cumin thing to get the actual chili flavor....it don't take much! Heck we're so anal if we can't find the no salt added beans, we dumped the juice out of them and then rinse them out to pull any of the salt water they pack them in out of em

Yessir! One small Super Chile and 'bout 1/2 or so of a Jalapeño, (depending on size, and the Scoville Scale, lol) once you add the garlic and onion and then do your Cayenne, chili powder, and cumin thing to get the actual chili flavor....it don't take much! Heck we're so anal if we can't find the no salt added beans, we dumped the juice out of them and then rinse them out to pull any of the salt water they pack them in out of em
Every now and then I'll add fresh jalapeno but it's tough, because you never know how hot they may be. I add bell pepper sometimes too.

Every now and then I'll add fresh jalapeno but it's tough, because you never know how hot they may be. I add bell pepper sometimes too.
Brother, the Jalapeños here, at the Big box stores ( like Publix and Winn Dixie) TASTE like green Bells ! And I'm not kidding! I don't want to start whining, but it seems like everywhere we go, and everything we buy, it's just been turned into garbage....

I know because I grow peppers that you Can cross pollinate em. Meaning it's very easy to make a sweet banana pepper, taste like a haberno, if grown close.....

So I would think if you were growing your jalapenos, next to bells, (depending on whatever a Botanist would say,, I am not one) then the bell peppers could cross pollinate your jalapenos, and make your jalapenos, taste like bell peppers!

I (we) always make homemade picante sauce, as we grew a lot of tomatoes and used that in my chili instead of buying canned tomatoe. Getting the flavor out of your meat is really important.

Dehydrated pepper snob here for chili. I get a few dried anchos, New Mexicos, guajillos. Rehydrate, blend, add to cut beef and pork. Beans, sometimes, depends how I feel. And if I have to hear some Texan try to tell me it isn’t chili if it has beans…..I do it on purpose sometimes.

Wife made Taco Soup other day. She loves it. But she is native Texan not that it is a Tx. dish... maybe or not?. Tastes like veggie soup where someone spilled a can of cheap taco seasoning!! ha some would add tortilla chips, I do Jiffy cornbread to soak up the taco seasoning!!
Now. If you want veggie soup, get a cheap thin cut of steak and brown it good with some good steak rub. Use that instead of hamburger seasoned with friggin taco seasoning!! But call it vegetable soup!
What does this have to do with chili???? Dunno.

-
Back