I've done it now!

-
C3367841-1E14-4914-8AD7-348ECAFF8911.gif
Congratulations!
C3367841-1E14-4914-8AD7-348ECAFF8911.gif

John, I did the math, if I wait until I’m of SS retirement age (67) to start drawing I’ll be over 75 to catch up to what I’ve drawn if I start at 62.

Ya I went to a retirement seminar many many years ago the was during the old system and he told us it took 17 years to recover lost money. That opened my eyes.

Congrats! I’m 53, but with the world as sideways as it is, I’ve told my wife several times that I wish I was closer to retirement. Almost have the house paid for and then we are debt free! I’ve made some good investments over the years, but if the economy crashes, that’s all up in smoke.

Congrats, you won't be sorry! I retired seven years ago at 59 and was OK financially by taking a small (and reduced) pension early and getting a part time job. It helped that I was debt free and had the house paid off. I knew it was time as my tolerance for fools was rapidly diminishing. I also had problems with wet-behind-the-ears youngsters with an MBA hired straight out of college into management positions making policy and decisions for which they had no knowledge or experience, along with an increasing tendency for the upper echelons talking out of both sides of their mouth while setting people up to fail. Oh, and I was losing the ability to keep my mouth shut. I knew sooner or later I was going to be leaving either voluntarily or otherwise, since it was just a matter of time before I was going to say something I couldn't take back. I figured it was better to get out on my terms. Isn't it interesting when they say your input and experience is invaluable but then when you point out the emperor is not wearing any clothes, everyone gets their panties in a bunch? Not one day since then have I regretted my decision. :D:D:D

Sorta off topic, but not really either. I'm retiring, well sort of. I'm leaving the chemical plant I've been working at for over 14 years. My last day at work is next Saturday and my official retirement date is 5/1. No more swing shifts, working weekends or being forced to work! I'll be sleeping in my bed every night, be able to shoot with my buddies on Wednesday nights and go to church with my wife on Sundays. I'm ready!

At 61 I can't draw SS yet, so my plan is to do a little carpenter work along to pay my insurance. I will be doing more racing, just not sure I want to bracket race.

Welcome back to the real world. Been retired for quite a while. Every day is a Saturday, but Sunday. Life is too short, and how much time do we have? Do what you and your wife have on any bucket lists and stay active. I honestly don't know how I had time to work. Good Luck.

Congrats, you won't be sorry! I retired seven years ago at 59 and was OK financially by taking a small (and reduced) pension early and getting a part time job. It helped that I was debt free and had the house paid off. I knew it was time as my tolerance for fools was rapidly diminishing. I also had problems with wet-behind-the-ears youngsters with an MBA hired straight out of college into management positions making policy and decisions for which they had no knowledge or experience, along with an increasing tendency for the upper echelons talking out of both sides of their mouth while setting people up to fail. Oh, and I was losing the ability to keep my mouth shut. I knew sooner or later I was going to be leaving either voluntarily or otherwise, since it was just a matter of time before I was going to say something I couldn't take back. I figured it was better to get out on my terms. Isn't it interesting when they say your input and experience is invaluable but then when you point out the emperor is not wearing any clothes, everyone gets their panties in a bunch? Not one day since then have I regretted my decision. :D:D:D
Don't know if I should be surprised or happy that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Odd, I don't remember working with you, LOL. It must be a common management strategy now days.

Odd, I don't remember working with you, LOL. It must be a common management strategy now days.

Common practice in common companies. I was lucky and "worked" in really good companies doing what I loved. Did work one place with a Jerk, luckily I was in the shop and he had no effect on me. My dad wanted me to paint a fender on his Ford LTD. The Jerk had my boss, Jack, pull a car in the bay I needed at the end of the day, lock the car, and give him the keys. Jack left the wheels straight and showed me what I needed to do to push it out. The look on the Jerks face was priceless the next morning when he came in and saw the LTD painted and sitting in that bay. We would do anything to jab him.

Today, there is no regard in a lot of companies for knowledge and or experience. We are living in a Walmart world where the most important thing is money, everything else is secondary.

Congrats !!! I have been retired for a week or so ( March 20 ) over two years now. I turn 68 in a few weeks. I wasn't planning on retiring but the company I worked for thought different. They used the " we are afraid you might get covid excuse ". I didn't mind the job : CDL driver, packaging mechanic, fork lift operator, shipping and receiving etc . but the husband and wife company owners were total morons with out a clue how to run the business they inherited. They did me a favor as I collected my first SS check a week before they let me go and my wife was relieved as I don't have to deal with the stress and commute any longer. It does my heart good however to hear from a friend still employed there that the company is struggling to find a decent packaging mechanic ..but at least they saved money by letting me go!

Last edited:
Back 29 years ago, I was 45 and my boss was 62. The best boss and one of the best human beings I have ever known. We worked for an ag subsidiary of a major drug co. He had worked for this company some 30 years as a regional mgr. One of their best employees. He decided he was ready to retire and then a few days later he knew he was not ready to leave emotionally. He begged and begged them to let him work one more year. No they said, sorry Don. Screw you Don.
He went home that afternoon and put the pistol in his month and blew is friggin brains out. What a waste.
Last time I would ever agree to work in such ever again.
R.I.P. Don

Retired in May 2019 at 67 years of age. Had planned to work to 70 but my Parkinson’s diagnosis changed my mind. Fortunately I had already paid off all debts…

There isn't nearly as many tracks here as there was. Lakeland closed, Plant City has been closed, there is a place in Pinellas, I've never been to, but Bradenton is about it... sucks man
There's been talk about a 1/8 mile track in Brooksville for a couple years. Not sure when it will happen. Lead foot city is the name of the company trying to get it going

There's been talk about a 1/8 mile track in Brooksville for a couple years. Not sure when it will happen. Lead foot city is the name of the company trying to get it going
They have a mud hole out there, I know it's been there for a few years... haven't been yet...

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

I worked my last night shift last night, Friday and Saturday will be my last shifts, days. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't apprehensive, but I'm ready. Those 12 hour night shifts have been kicking my a$$, I don't sleep well during the day.

Turkey season comes in on the 16th and I'll be able to hunt everyday!!!!

I'm 53 and would walk now if I could. problem is the young people coming up behind you in the work-lace are nit wits...:)

I'm 53 and would walk now if I could. problem is the young people coming up behind you in the work-lace are nit wits...:)

Not your problem is it? Unless maybe you own the business. The young millwright they started hiring in the mill were experts at drinking coffee, texting, and telling you how to do the job. My boss would keep them in the shop because they would either refuse to do the job or mess it up to milk out overtime. I got to the point I wanted to chock someone so instead of retiring at my planned 55 I bumped it up to right before I hit 53. After 33 years the job I loved wasn’t fun anymore.

Not your problem is it? Unless maybe you own the business. The young millwright they started hiring in the mill were experts at drinking coffee, texting, and telling you how to do the job. My boss would keep them in the shop because they would either refuse to do the job or mess it up to milk out overtime. I got to the point I wanted to chock someone so instead of retiring at my planned 55 I bumped it up to right before I hit 53. After 33 years the job I loved wasn’t fun anymore.
It can be. I am in a position where I supervise these folks and it can be like walking on eggshells. You say something they don't like and they go over your head with complaints. I am also in the position top beat them at their own game, instead of saying anything Ill just hit them with disciplinary paperwork... another trend is they quit when they arent having fun, they quit easier than my generation did when we were their age.

I'm 63 , birthday is in October .. I'll make it till 67 pretty easy , my job isn't easy but I am able to do it without too much problems , make good money I'm going to keep plugging away here until I get sick of getting up at 5:30 am ..

I just joined the retirement club this month! Amazing how many of the posts are similar to my experiences at work. My last job was a maintenance supervisor for 14 years....turns out I could have been a heck of a teacher for first graders.

Today was my last day at work, vacation until the end of the month, then retirement.

Good paying jobs are hard to get around here, it’s kinda scary walking away from one.

I’ve already had a couple people ask me about doing some carpenter work, but it’ll have to wait until turkey season goes out. I almost forgot there are crappie to catch too, there may not be enough time to work. :lol:

Today was my last day at work, vacation until the end of the month, then retirement.

Good paying jobs are hard to get around here, it’s kinda scary walking away from one.

I’ve already had a couple people ask me about doing some carpenter work, but it’ll have to wait until turkey season goes out. I almost forgot there are crappie to catch too, there may not be enough time to work. :lol:
It's getting easier to get a Lil bread outta em here, but the workload is sick. If I'm working like that, it's for myself. I always hung and finished by the board, and framed by the Lf or SF... then there's the ones that want you bring a truck and 5 grand of tools out for crap cash, and the ones that want you to know 5 trades, and some, of us do But say must have 3 years experience.....ain't No Way you could be good at that many things in that time... maybe if your Family were all Badasses, and you put the time in.

-
Back