Jeep rear discs on an 8 3/4 axle solution

-
I'm surprised to see those are not vented discs...thought just about all newer cars use vented discs.

Nice work figuring out the mounting of those Andrew, looking forward to see the price list
I rarely see vented rotors on the rears of factory disc setups....

I rarely see vented rotors on the rears of factory disc setups....

The Mazda Protege5, Chevy Tahoe, and Volks Passat all sitting in front of my house have vented rear discs......maybe just a small sample to make my original statement?

Lots of cars run a solo disc in the back...the fronts do most of the work...my Concorde LXi weighs about 3600 pounds and uses solo discs on the back.

It'll outstop your tahoe for sure and it would be a close comparo to your other two. The Concorde might best them all...with it's solo rear disc!:-D

Lots of cars run a solo disc in the back...the fronts do most of the work...my Concorde LXi weighs about 3600 pounds and uses solo discs on the back.

It'll outstop your tahoe for sure and it would be a close comparo to your other two. The Concorde might best them all...with it's solo rear disc!:-D

I didnt say anything about the pros/cons, stopping ability, heat dissapation etc....about solid discs. I was just surprised to see an SUV rear disc that was not vented. DANG..

Great solution to add rear discs to the 8.75 (and probably Dana 60 as well) and keeping it all Mopar as well.

I dont know much about the assembly as I didn't do the work...but I did get the idea from here.

B-body 8 3/4 with green bearings and Jeep grand cherokee rear disc brakes in my 67 barracuda, 15x8 inch rims with 5 1/2 offset.

Heading to the bodyshop
DSC08689.jpg

DSC08682.jpg

DSC08548.jpg

DSC08541.jpg

DSC08540.jpg

DSC08531.jpg

DSC08532.jpg

DSC08533.jpg

Thanks for this thread Andrew!!! You are a life saver! Plan to see these on one of my projects in the future!

good work Andrew, and well documented too! Hopefully once I get my Dusta' on the road I'll get to run into you up there in Austin.

rjsjea, I wasn't sniping at you when I made my statement. Yes your vehicles may have vented rear discs but they are the exception, not the norm. Most production cars and some so called "performance" packages for the most part have a solid rotor. I like the vented ones myself as I can tell do you. No harm meant.

tubbedamx, where have you been hiding that buggy! that's gonna be sweet!

A quick update, the E brakes will work as well.
I used the cables to the calipers from the jeep and the duster cable from the tranny mount back. All I had to do now is re locate the supports about 2" forward and clip it all together. I did have to slot the cable to cable clip for the jeep end.
You can see the cable hanging but connected in the pic.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo154.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 823
Here are the final pics and the brackets were actually moved forward 4.5".
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo155.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 785
  • Photo156.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 779
sweet! I was scratching my head trying to figure out how I was gonna make the parking brake work!!!

MT,
when you get the E brake lines from the jeep, clean them up and remove the brackets by opening them up. I made simple brackets from 16Ga sheet metal and screwed them in place next to the seat belt mounting plates. They are about 2" tall. The torque needed to secure them there causes the 'S' curve in the line which is what keeps them out of the way of the rim.
Andrew

when I pulled the setup off of the Cherokee I left the entire setup in one piece by unbolting the bracket from the transmission/driveshaft tunnel that pairs the brake lines to the parking brake handle.

Thank you very much for this thread, after reading it and your other thread, I went to the local salvage yard, and found plenty of real estate to choose from. I ended up getting the backing plate and calipers from a 95 GC Laredo.... Only cost me $100 and 2 hrs of my sat morning. Not to bad if you ask me. Now I'm going to use the parts list you provided and rebuild my calipers and get some rotors. Thanks again MT, you are the man.

ok, so, i have a 8.75 with small bolt patteren. is there a way to keep the sbp, or do i have to switch to lbp?
so, jeep is lbp?

yeah the jeeps are the LPB pattern same as our old mopar cars. (later model jeeps that is...) when mopar bought jeep, I think that when jeep went to the 5X4 1/2. (the early jeeps were different.)
SMALL BOLT PATTERN IS A BEOTCH.....Not only is the pattern smaller but the center register of the axle is smaller ( the part that sticks out the center of the whell and centers it). this is why it is a BEEEOOTTTCHHH. also the "standoff" from the housing flange is different too. (narrower brakes)

the only way I can think of to do a small bolt rar disc setup it to us some type of foriegn car or other small car rotor and have them machined aand drilled to match. then yu could fab a caliper bracket and weld it to your housing (depending on what type of caliper you choose). the canter register of the rotor would have to be small enough that it could be machined out to the size of the SBP mopar axle shaft.

-
Back