Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
I see they sell extra long lugs/struts.....
What is the stock oem length....mine measures 1.322.

Jeff

I believe the strut is rectangular, and could be put in either way..... but only fits properly one way. I believe the long sides contact the band and adjuster. I am sure someone else will chime in.

I believe the strut is rectangular, and could be put in either way..... but only fits properly one way. I believe the long sides contact the band and adjuster. I am sure someone else will chime in.
Thanks...something ain't adding up....

Jeff

If you look at the band strut you will see the short sides have been rounded. The short sides contact the band lug & the adjuster block. It can be a bit fiddly because you have to tension the band (I use a long flat screwdriver) & side the strut in at the same time.

If you look at the band strut you will see the short sides have been rounded. The short sides contact the band lug & the adjuster block. It can be a bit fiddly because you have to tension the band (I use a long flat screwdriver) & side the strut in at the same time.
So the lug goes in the short way...right ?

Give me an hour or so to get home Jeff & I will see if I have any close-up shots of the rear band on my hard drive.
Thanks.....no rush!
I thought the lug goes in the tall way......and in which case, it doesn't fit......

Jeff

I just rewatched the video I have.....
The lug goes in the "tall" way......

Mine won't fit in to save my life.....
I'v read that some people have turned/machined the drum down like .010" on the O.D. ......is that an acceptable practice? ????

Jeff

Sure Jeff. The lug (strut) goes in the tall way. It is a bit fiddly but it will drop in wehen you compress the band with a long handled screwdriver. I hope you dont have the rear drum fitted, because that would cause the difficulty you are having. Fit the band & strut first, then locate the low reverse drum inside the band to engage with the splines on the sprag inner race. Only machine the drum if the surface is heavily scored, that is the reason for longer struts. This is the only half decent photo I have on my hard drive. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, but I think you can just make out the orientation of the strut.

32070386yy.jpg

Cheers. Gaz

Sure Jeff. The lug (strut) goes in the tall way. It is a bit fiddly but it will drop in wehen you compress the band with a long handled screwdriver. I hope you dont have the rear drum fitted, because that would cause the difficulty you are having. Fit the band & strut first, then locate the low reverse drum inside the band to engage with the splines on the sprag inner race. Only machine the drum if the surface is heavily scored, that is the reason for longer struts. This is the only half decent photo I have on my hard drive. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, but I think you can just make out the orientation of the strut.

View attachment 1715151805
Cheers. Gaz
Thank you!
When I get the band all together with the strut installed, the drum just won't quite go in...so close, but won't go in.....
I'm going the machine. 010" off the drum and that should do it.....it will be a bit of a slip fit, even before the lever aplies......

Jeff

Here's a silly question.
Why would you have to machine the drum to put it back together the way it came apart?

That does seem like a tight fit. Just make sure the band doesn't **** over out of centre when you install the drum. I can get you the measurement of a stock sized strut, but I'm back in the shop not before tomorrow.

That does seem like a tight fit. Just make sure the band doesn't **** over out of centre when you install the drum. I can get you the measurement of a stock sized strut, but I'm back in the shop not before tomorrow.
I don't know if mine is stock or not, but my strut is 1.322"
If my strut was shorter, that would solve my issue too....
Machine the drum or machine the strut???

Jeff

Neither nor for the moment. You can also check for the correct orientation of the band anchor levers. It will fit both ways but the large circular cut out goes towards the drum. You can see this in my photo.

Here is my stationary strut...looks correct to me...

image000001-3.jpg

Here is the new band in...

image000001-2.jpg

And here with the strut installed

image000001.jpg

At this point I would install the drum, but it just won't go in.....

Jeff

Yes Sir! The band anchor is ok. Check out the size of the gap between the band ends in my photo & compare it with yours. It looks for all the world as if your lower band lug is not properly engaged in the anchor strut.

Yes Sir! The band anchor is ok. Check out the size of the gap between the band ends in my photo & compare it with yours. It looks for all the world as if your lower band lug is not properly engaged in the anchor strut.
I just verified that the band is correctly seated in the stationary strut....

Compare the gap on the new band verses the old band...

image000001-4.jpg

Jeff

The old one is probably 40 years older than the new one & has seen a lot of service. Nevertheless the new band must fit unless it was packaged wrong at the manufacturers. Highly unlikely but not impossible. Crap! I wish I was just around the corner from you, I'd be there in a flash!

The old one is probably 40 years older than the new one & has seen a lot of service. Nevertheless the new band must fit unless it was packaged wrong at the manufacturers. Highly unlikely but not impossible. Crap! I wish I was just around the corner from you, I'd be there in a flash!
Hmmm.....I wonder if I should just trim the strut down a little bit. ....

Jeff

That would be the easiest & most economical way but I still cant help thinking that something on the new band is just not right. I just cant put a finger on it. I've never had any trouble with rear drum/band fitment. Sorry but that's not much consolation!

-
Back