Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
Hey Dude... didn't someone tell ya... it's Superbowl Sunday... even I know that and I'm on the other side of the world... where's your head at?? I'm sure we can give ya a break for a day... :icon_fU:

The one manual i have suggests using “door ease” to aid in lubricating piston seal. I tripped over a tube of it,it a waxy stick used to prevent doors from sticking.
I hope i can find it when the time comes.

Hey Dude... didn't someone tell ya... it's Superbowl Sunday... even I know that and I'm on the other side of the world... where's your head at?? I'm sure we can give ya a break for a day... :icon_fU:
Lol...no Superbowl or any NFL for me....
If they can't stand up for the anthem, I can't sit down to watch....screw them jerks.
But I am relaxing today....reading and watching movies!
Cheers!

Jeff

We finished our rebuild up just now. Lol.

Grinding the 1-2 kickdown valve/piston thing was the most tedious part. Lol. We don't have the most precise machining equipment. But it should work.

And adjusting the internal kickdown lever on the valvebody was difficult to find clear directions for on the internet. Finally found the .625 spec and used the dial indicator to set the depth in that.

Clutch clearances for both drums (4 disk for both) came out to .048-.052. Out kit had waffles and smooths.

Overall it went really well, and was a pretty simple unit.

I appreciate all the help and knowledge in this thread, and I hope I didn't muddy jeffs thread up to much. Lol

Thanks again. Eric

We finished our rebuild up just now. Lol.

Grinding the 1-2 kickdown valve/piston thing was the most tedious part. Lol. We don't have the most precise machining equipment. But it should work.

And adjusting the internal kickdown lever on the valvebody was difficult to find clear directions for on the internet. Finally found the .625 spec and used the dial indicator to set the depth in that.

Clutch clearances for both drums (4 disk for both) came out to .048-.052. Out kit had waffles and smooths.

Overall it went really well, and was a pretty simple unit.

I appreciate all the help and knowledge in this thread, and I hope I didn't muddy jeffs thread up to much. Lol

Thanks again. Eric

Now...installation and testing?!!!!!!

Jeff

Now...installation and testing?!!!!!!

Jeff

No, not quite yet. We're doing a full resto that we're about half way through. Lol.

Next weekend we can get back to work on engine assembly and finish that up.

Than we are moving to the rear axle and suspension. Moving the springs in with offset shackles and attempting to shove a 275/60/15 under it.

Eric

No, not quite yet. We're doing a full resto that we're about half way through. Lol.

Next weekend we can get back to work on engine assembly and finish that up.

Than we are moving to the rear axle and suspension. Moving the springs in with offset shackles and attempting to shove a 275/60/15 under it.

Eric
Can you tell me more about that internal band adjustment and measurement?

Jeff

I'm getting real bad slip from 1st to 2nd now and I'm wondering if I can adjust it by dropping the pan or is it a tranny out job?? ....waiting to see if yours needs adjustment and what you need to do. :thumbsup:

Can you tell me more about that internal band adjustment and measurement?

Jeff

We just adjusted both bands per transgo specs.

The other adjustment was for the kickdown "cam" to plunger depth.

You fully depress kickdown plunger into the valve body, (which pretty much puts it flush with the valve body), and measure .625 to the cam. Adjust with philips head screw and lick nut.

I'm getting real bad slip from 1st to 2nd now and I'm wondering if I can adjust it by dropping the pan or is it a tranny out job?? ....waiting to see if yours needs adjustment and what you need to do. :thumbsup:
I think you can adjust it by dropping the pan and removing the valve body.....

Jeff

We just adjusted both bands per transgo specs.

The other adjustment was for the kickdown "cam" to plunger depth.

You fully depress kickdown plunger into the valve body, (which pretty much puts it flush with the valve body), and measure .625 to the cam. Adjust with philips head screw and lick nut.
OK.....thanks! All in the TransGo instructions.....

Jeff

OK.....thanks! All in the TransGo instructions.....

Jeff

Yeah. Sorry. My buddy adjusted the bands while I was working on other stuff. But he said it went well. And according to transgo specs. Wish I was more help on that one. Lol

Yeah. Sorry. My buddy adjusted the bands while I was working on other stuff. But he said it went well. And according to transgo specs. Wish I was more help on that one. Lol
Can't wait to be at that stage! Still doing bushings.....!
Did you replace all your bushing or just some?

Jeff

Can't wait to be at that stage! Still doing bushings.....!
Did you replace all your bushing or just some?

Jeff

All of our bushings were in beautiful shape. So we ended up not replacing any bushings. Other than some Burnt clutches the tranny was in beautiful shape internally. We pulled ours apart mostly because it was an unknown transmission and for preventative maintenance and upgrades.

All of our bushings were in beautiful shape. So we ended up not replacing any bushings. Other than some Burnt clutches the tranny was in beautiful shape internally. We pulled ours apart mostly because it was an unknown transmission and for preventative maintenance and upgrades.

Nice!
Mine had some issues......LOL!

image000000-4.jpg

Jeff

I call it wavy gravy. LOL. Far out man. LOL.

And the word mumbly peg still makes me giggle.

Jeff if you don't mind I'll answer the other guys question about the band adjustment.

@Aussiemopars The front band is the second gear band and the adjustment is on the outside of the case. Also check your throttle pressure linkage adjustment as it will cause slippage issues if not adjusted right

Jeff if you don't mind I'll answer the other guys question about the band adjustment.

@Aussiemopars The front band is the second gear band and the adjustment is on the outside of the case. Also check your throttle pressure linkage adjustment as it will cause slippage issues if not adjusted right

Cool thanks for the tip. I know the kickdown doesnt work properly but its adjusted nearly all the way open when throttle is at WOT. I should prbably get a workshop manual soon too.

I don't mind at all. ....I'm learning as I go.....and I'm grateful for all the replies!
I'll be adjusting that band too...soon I hope!

Jeff

-
Back