Just another Dart....

-
I know exactly what you're talking about. I think its the worst water trap on these cars. What I plan to do is slice it just above the lower horizontal attachment, bend it up so it can be inspected and sandblasted. Replace metal if necessary. Then weld shut again but leaving some sizeable drain holes. POR 15 with a swab. Polyurethane caulk beween drain holes so any moisture gets funnelled down the holes. Maybe a screwed on plastic shield to direct water off the rear tires away from the holes.

The lower rear area of the front fenders is another water trap.

I'm doing everything but the body on this one first and will drive it with the patina for a while before paint.

IF I had any functioning brain cells left this is EXACTLY what I would have done.
Will probably have to wait until the spring now, but I will be hauling the car over to Post Falls. Lonnie, the fellow that made the seat for our bike is going to fix my dash pad for me. Some clown in AZ made a disaster out of it. Lonnie is going to try and thin it out some, hopefully make it look more normal. If we have not met by then I will take the short drive up to your place then.

Cool. I have not decided what to do with the dash yet. I have thoughts of deleting the pad, welding it shut, maybe Rocky Mtn insert and a panel coming down to meet the Caddy console with room for extra gauges and stereo.

Here's a bit of inspiration.

(If you'd rather not have pic clutter on your thread let me know.)

Attachments

• 63nova dash 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 329
  • coronet dash 9.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 354
  • coronet dash.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 356
Cool. I have not decided what to do with the dash yet. I have thoughts of deleting the pad, welding it shut, maybe Rocky Mtn insert and a panel coming down to meet the Caddy console with room for extra gauges and stereo.

Here's a bit of inspiration.

(If you'd rather not have pic clutter on your thread let me know.)

By all means post away, ideas are always a good thing. Have been waiting for close to a week to hear from Peak (formerly Rocky Mountain) Dash about an insert. I asked Mark about building one with two 4 1/2" inch holes (speedo with fuel gauge and tach) and four 2 5/8" holes. He said it can be done, he was going to send me a sketch....Have not heard nothing from him. Beginning to wonder if I want to deal with him, don't do real well with flaky folks....
I am beginning to think if he does not come thru I very well may take my junky parts up to GCAR Trim, he is just north of Spokane if I remember right, and see if what he wants to restore them. He used to offer radio & heater delete plates but he said the molds are shot. Should have grabbed them when I had the chance, they were like half the price of what others want...

I love your cars,they do look like brother and sisters.I love the welded up dash.....Jeff Evans purple Cuda is that way, and it looks great.
You guys both have some great idea's, thanks for bloging.

I'm having serious thoughts of doing something like the 2nd & 3rd pics. It would be a real test of welding/fab skills. So many ideas, so little time...

I love your cars,they do look like brother and sisters.I love the welded up dash.....Jeff Evans purple Cuda is that way, and it looks great.

Another local FABO member - cool. You've got quite the stable.

I'm having serious thoughts of doing something like the 2nd & 3rd pics. It would be a real test of welding/fab skills. So many ideas, so little time...

Another local FABO member - cool. You've got quite the stable.

Have been tossing around the idea of something similar. Perhaps even losing the entire factory dash. Still waiting to hear from Peak Dashes.....guy is not doing much to inspire confidence.

I have seen several 64 Fairlanes without a dash pad. Pretty sure that they were available without them. Really do like the way they look. I have seen some pictures of A-bodies without the pads, the holes welded shut....thought they looked great. Patiently waiting for a certain some one to come along and tell me how dangerous it is going to be, in the event of an accident, without the dash pad....Oh yeah, I forgot, he told me he did not give a rats-*** about me or more car.....:violent1:

I've got its ugly twin.

Dang, I thought it was my ACTUAL CAR!!! How crazy is THIS?!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well mine turned into more of a project than I ever wanted, myself. Neighbor and I decided it would be best to take it out to "Masterblaster" so it's getting torn apart.

Sitting out there right now on the hoist, all the chrome off, and the engine about ready to come out next couple of days

One day we'll have to post the before and afters for the triplets.
Seems like a dream off in the distance.
What colors do you guys have in mind?
Mines a giveaway - "ribbet!"

Damn....looks like they are clones....got any pictures of the interior...or what is left of it?

There is a new carpet in the box included and re-upholstered seats too......so, here's the mess that it is right now, seats are out in the garage.

Attachments

• DSCF2567.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 280
One day we'll have to post the before and afters for the triplets.
What colors do you guys have in mind?

Since my interior is blue, and I'm not up to the task of doing a full color-change.......I'm sure hoping mine will be something like this:

attachment.php

Well mine turned into more of a project than I ever wanted, myself. Neighbor and I decided it would be best to take it out to "Masterblaster" so it's getting torn apart.

Sitting out there right now on the hoist, all the chrome off, and the engine about ready to come out next couple of days

Del, what year is your other Dart? Is there a quadruplet hiding in the shadows?

View attachment IMG_2272 (Medium).jpg
Nasty looking stuff. Every time the trunk lid was opened some mouse turds would fall out of it. The tire well has a bunch of pin holes in it, fab guy had a rust free one from a previous car he built so.....
View attachment IMG_2257 (Medium).jpg
Car came with a leaning tower of no-power...Which is currently residing behind my garage. Once I figure out what we are going to do with Ernestina's 69 Valaint I will probably just dismantle and take it to the recycling center. Ernie's car is a completely un-molested 69 Valaint, also with the leaning tower of no power. It was still running when we parked it. Going to try and do the least amount of tweaking to her car so it very well may keep the / in it....but that is WAY down the road.....64 Fairlane is going to get put together first...
View attachment IMG_2275 (Medium).jpg
Engine bay was rust free. Lot of the holes were welded up on it, bulk head connector is gone as well as most of the holes for the clips that held the harness in. None of the factory wiring is going to be used, figured why keep any of the holes.

By all means post away, ideas are always a good thing. Have been waiting for close to a week to hear from Peak (formerly Rocky Mountain) Dash about an insert. I asked Mark about building one with two 4 1/2" inch holes (speedo with fuel gauge and tach) and four 2 5/8" holes. He said it can be done, he was going to send me a sketch....Have not heard nothing from him. Beginning to wonder if I want to deal with him, don't do real well with flaky folks....
I am beginning to think if he does not come thru I very well may take my junky parts up to GCAR Trim, he is just north of Spokane if I remember right, and see if what he wants to restore them. He used to offer radio & heater delete plates but he said the molds are shot. Should have grabbed them when I had the chance, they were like half the price of what others want...

I saw this at the Mopar Nats 2 years ago and thought it was very unique and well thoughtout if your looking for something different. I thought about removing the Dash Pad on mine but, well you know......I didn't.

Attachments

• mopar nats 2011 022.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 282
I saw this at the Mopar Nats 2 years ago and thought it was very unique and well thoughtout if your looking for something different. I thought about removing the Dash Pad on mine but, well you know......I didn't.

Interesting......thank you Sir...saved the picture for future reference....

Finally got the instrument panel ordered from Peak Dashes. Mark is not the best communicator on the planet, he is even worse than I am so if anyone is going to deal with him be patient.

View attachment 1714673925

Have to order my gauges from Speed Hut some year.....

Not to get to personnal..... but whats you hole size ? looks like 5" speed/tach ? ...and 2 3/8" for the others. Autometer has a real cool custom gauge builder unless your sold on speedhut, I looked at them all and went with custom made Autometer.
attachment.php4

Not to get to personnal..... but whats you hole size ? looks like 5" speed/tach ? ...and 2 3/8" for the others. Autometer has a real cool custom gauge builder unless your sold on speedhut, I looked at them all and went with custom made Autometer.
attachment.php4

Personal?? Nah......The bigger holes are 4 1/2", the smaller are 2 5/8". After the nightmares I have had with the Autometer Speedo on my chopper I decided to use a different brand. In Autometer's defense, when the speedo was under warranty they took care of it...by replacing one defective gauge with another one. The one I have now is doing the same thing the previous 3 did. I really wanted SW gauges but last I looked they did not have a GPS speedo which I really want to use.

-
Back