Just installed the Wilwood disc..

-

stroked340

Reaction score
On the front my '70 duster converted over from factory drums came out great car stops excellent now.. also installed the Wilwood proportioning valve and light weight master,and hurst line-loc..put the centerlines on i've had sitting around too,took some weight off the frontend:D:D

Great result, but clarify "stops excellent". Do you mean less pedal effort? Were the drum brakes unable to skid the tires? Less fade during repeated braking? Are you comparing a new disk setup with old worn out drum brakes? I ask because if a system can brake to just before the tires skid (and evenly), one cannot stop any faster.

Great result, but clarify "stops excellent". Do you mean less pedal effort? Were the drum brakes unable to skid the tires? Less fade during repeated braking? Are you comparing a new disk setup with old worn out drum brakes? I ask because if a system can brake to just before the tires skid (and evenly), one cannot stop any faster.

Much less pedal effort drum brakes were far from worn out..much needed upgrade car is only going to get faster,don't trust the factory drums..

Im intalling this kit now on my 69 dart. Ive been having some trouble torquing the star drive/ torx nuts down. Ive broken 3 craftsman bits and stripped one of the nuts. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 20150813_185952.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 20150813_191647.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 20150813_191820.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 485
We put the some kit on are 79 Volare saved 40 lbs off the front and it rolls so much easier and stops a hell of a lot better

Im intalling this kit now on my 69 dart. Ive been having some trouble torquing the star drive/ torx nuts down. Ive broken 3 craftsman bits and stripped one of the nuts. Am I doing something wrong?

Are they Torx or Torx+? They look the same but are different.

Nice!

Did you take any pics?

Without pictures, it never happened!

Just kidding, but with pictures, it will keep the rest of us motivated. Will be ordering stuff over the weekend. And I feel like I am ordering to much stuff!

Have the Willwoods on mine. They work great especially while some ignorant chick in a Lexus pulls into your lane (head on) to get around someone that's stopped!

cooooledart, It's not you, I had the same problem when I built up the brake on my coupe, and I had the same problem when I built up the brake for my Dart. It's the one thin Wilwood should improve on.

Im putting on the new master cylinder and the intructions arent very clear. I have to use the rod from the old master cylinder? Were your instructions for the master cylinder the same?

35 to 40 pounds is great, wonder if you changedto tublar upper and lowerwhar the savings would be?

What size drums did you have to start with?

I am putting a Wilwood disk brake kit on my Barracuda. The kit should work with 14" rims but my old rims do not fit over the center hub and they hit the caliper. What size and style rim are you using?

On the front my '70 duster converted over from factory drums came out great car stops excellent now.. also installed the Wilwood proportioning valve and light weight master,and hurst line-loc..put the centerlines on i've had sitting around too,took some weight off the frontend:D:D
Glad to hear you did the conversion, I had to learn the hard way! My '70 Duster bracket car had 10" drums and I thought I could get by with new pads and turned drums. 1st time I took it to the track and opened it up it went about 10.5/130mph in the 1/4 mile and the drum brakes faded fast! This track has a short shutdown area anyway, and I thought I was going to have to eat the fence at the end (there is no sandpit).
I just managed to get it stopped. I put the car back in the trailer and ordered the Wilwood kit the next day. It was a really easy install and they have never failed to work!

-
Back