Just picked up a 71 Duster

-

scott2683

Reaction score
So I've been searching every car magazine, ebay, craigslist, I've drove hundreds of miles to look at cars, and I finally found one ... 10 miles from my house.

I picked up a 71 duster 318. Looks like it was restored about 15 years ago, but its due for another. Sadly the previous owner decided to paint the front bumper and the grill yellow when they had it painted.

Its an original 318 A/C car, should be fun to cruise and restore!

Attachments

• 2012-05-03_16-46-38_212.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 328
Nice find! The bumper and grill are an easy swap.Now the illusive search for sharktooth grill.LOL;-)

Thanks for the positive comments folks! I have already started my bumper search, and the grill will be painted my next day off of work!

Cool find !
Is it originally FY1 in colour ?

Those Demon stripes look nice on there ; makes me wonder why the factory didn't offer them as an option .

Where was your Duster built ; Los Angeles or Hamtramck ?

Great find! Going to look much better with re-painted grille and chrome bumpers.
What's the plan? Stock resto or restomod?

I just don't know what people are thinking when they paint their bumpers and grills the color of their cars... but hey, to each their own! If any of you guys know someone with a front bumper...let me know!

I am thinking I'll keep the car mostly original. I'm going to beef up the 318 a little bit, 4 bbl, cam, headers, ... and eventually put it on some 17" or 18" torque thrust wheels.

I just ordered all new ball joints and upper control arm bushings for it too, I took it to have it aligned and they said there was no way it would hold!

My dad and I put a little sweat equity into the duster today. We stripped all the paint off of the bumper, the chrome underneath was definitely driver quality, it took a lot of buffing but it doesn't look bad now!

We also repainted hideous yellow grill black! Here are a couple before and after pics! Tell me it doesn't look better!

Attachments

• 100_3764.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3774.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 2012-05-06_18-51-55_927.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 151
-
Back