K frame lower control arm bushing

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I'm replacing the lower control arm bushings in my 67 Barracuda Formula S and found the K frame bushings are screwed.. Do they make replacements for them?? They look like they're tack welded and might not be too hard to remove. You can see pic's of the damage.

100_2884.jpg

100_2885.jpg

100_2886.jpg

You know, in all my years, I don't think I have seen that happen. I would replace the K-member. Easy to come by and easy to replace.

The 67 is a one off, it uses a one year only idler and might be a problem to find. It's been moved back into place and rewelded . The pin is tight in the frame bushing and I'm pretty confident it will be ok. The local machine shop thinks that it will be fine if I do no major wheel stands..LOL I have had it on the road and it feels great, no more wander and tracks straight. The next step is to get the alignment done. I'm more concerned with the CAP upper control arms. They are fine now but from the things I've been reading have me thinking about going back to the old uppers with the offset bushings.

Your right the 67 was a one year K-member. The 68 up is a better design on the idler arm and might be worth you going too?

alot of guys weld washers over that sleeve to rienforce the area. seems its a weak spot. check the firmfeel website for their fix for the problem, better yet, call Dick and ask him what he thinks you should do. he's a great guy to talk to and seems always willing to help.
http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_a.htm

kframe10.jpg

I thought about that, but placed a heavy bead around the backside of the bushing. The car is a Formula S convertible BH27E so I'd like to keep it if I can. I have a new motor waiting to be finished so when I pull the motor I might pull the K frame and see if I can get my buddy's machine shop to machine a set of bushings.

Tap the displaced piece back into position and fillet weld all around. If you have the K-member out, you'll probably find other places where it was under welded from the factory.

-
Back