k member question

-

mismy69swinger

Reaction score
i was getting to have my k member dipped and found that on the drivers side where the torison bar go's looks like was cut around and welded back bad weld at that is this factory??? I never got to drive the car the motor was out and i dont want to spend alot of money getting it ready if something is wrong with it how would i know???? thanks for all your help in advance

Post some pictures of it and I am sure that somebody will be able to answer your questions !!!

i hope works cause i never seen this and dont understand why it would happen i hope you can tell which side was welded

Attachments

• kkkkkkk 009.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 244
  • kkkkkkk 010.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 257
believe it or not but thats a factory weld! 99.9% sure! anyone?

Along the lines of what i was thinking.

The welds are holding, nothing is cracked……. I wouldn't worry much about it. Go ahead and get it tanked so you can get a better look. You are FAR from needing a new one.

just i didnt know that they did such a crappy job welding lol i could see where it had ever been crashed and didnt look like anything was bent so i want to make sure before i spend money tanking it and power coating it

........the 1st pic , they definately welded in a washer, 2nd pic is factory.............stock it would likely b ok...........performance, id b looking 4 another 1..............y chance it..............kim.............

take it and have it blasted . Look on the firmfeel website they weld washers on for extra strength. I just did mine and rewelded all the factory welds and put some gusets in on the motor mounts. i checked with a local guy about powder coating and he said you are better off putting on a good zinc coating and a good quality paint.

..........only thing is, that the washer spaces the lower control arm back some, then that stresses the strut rod bushing...inturn reducing caster..u should at least weld a washer on the other side......kim........

That is a place known for cracking. It has likely been repaired. If it were mine I would probably get it cleaned and blasted and then inspected. As long as the LCA pin can seat at the same depth as original, I'd run it.

I had a crack in mine too on the 67 fish so I just chose to replace the k-member.

The slanty k-member that you put in my convertible was also cracked there, but since I'm going big block it was going away anyway. In hindsight I probably should have fixed the k-member for somebody else to use, but I didn't think finding a slant K would be difficult.

Two questions:

Is this a V8 K member?

If so, on the front/center is there a washer tack welded?

if answers are yes, its a stock 340 k member.

-
Back