Keeps getting to hot

-
One other thing I have not seen asked. The GPM on the pump. I did a quick search. Most electric pumps I found that were offered for big block chevy or ford were near 40 GPM. Maybe the coolant flow is too low. What does a hi po mechanical pump flow?

Another issue entirely.

You've also not given us enough information. When does it run hot? At idle? Going down the road? All the time? Different symptoms require different diagnosis. The fan however, is grossly inadequate.

Also trapped air in the system could cause boilover. I would run it at Idle and see if bubbles are in the system. One other thing direction of pump. is it flowing the right way?

It usually runs hot all the time. the cap I just replaced and I bought a pressure tester and the pressure was constant for over two hours.
The pump just came back from mezere to get an upgraded impeller and tested over 40 gpm. I have checked and double checked the flow of both fans and pump. I have pulled the plugs on my water housing to try and vent it and all I ever get is coolant.
I am starting to think it is the fact that the fans are to low of a cfm and to close to the motor.

More information about the motor.
fully forged bottom end with flat top trw 2266 pistons.
comp cam timing set camshaft .545 lift and lifters
4500 stall from turbo action
727 with reverse manual valve body
MSD Ignition 6AL, MSD full Mech dizzy. total advance is 34. 8.5 mm wires and accel header plugs.
2" fenderwell exit headers
Idle is set at 750 rpm
power master 100 amp alternator
motive 3.73 gears with Detroit locker
green bearing 8 3/4 dana with moser axles.

Yea probably fans ain't doing its job. one other thing that came to mind I would check if the radiator is flowing good and not restricted.

Mopar85.

Just not enough airflow. But one would think it would cool down once you are cruising. So the fans stay on all the time? You may have to move the radiator forward to allow better designed shroud. One that will allow air to flow easily past the fans into engine compartment when they are off. How about in front of the radiator. Nothing unusual there? Just curious have you ever removed the grill? This is a Duster. Maybe the problem lies with too much restriction on the inlet side of the radiator. Not lilke you could order a 440 Duster right? The Nascar guys fight this all the time. Heck they run 200 MPH and have overheating problems and they have fans. But a fan can only move so much air based on the inlet side of the equation. If I were you I would pull the grill and go out and drive it. You may find there is where the problem lies. I understand re the fans not being enough, but I don't think anyone expects the fans to be running 24/7 to keep the temps down. Stroker asked when does it overheat. You say all the time. You have plenty of radiator. Plenty of flow. Fans yeah are weak, but either the engine is just running too lean with too much advance which I highly doubt or something is keeping the air from flowing. If it were me I would pull the grill.

On my stroked 5.7 (small block) i have a 3000 cfm black magic fan with shroud--just letting ya know,Fan is outstanding!!!!!! Also there are over 8 different water pumps for a 440 based on amount of coolant in radiator and FLOW is a BIG determining factor on HOW well any liquid picks up heat.Are you sure you need 40gpm's that sound like a stupid amount of flow--Liquid can move too fast to pick up the heat it is supposed to pick up---Just saying-----I have a buddie with a 493 bb and he is going thru the same thing as we speak!!!!!!

Swifter,

That too is something I offered at first. Too much or fast a flow. Now that would be easy to test. Just put a restrictor in the system. Like an aluminum plug inside the hose with a smaller hole drilled in it. It would seem to me that there are a lot of folk here that have shoehorned big blocks into their rides. This can not be an isolated issue.

The shroud looks like it is blocking air. I know that shrouds seem to cover some of the radiator, but they have an angle to them. Yours looks flat and is thereby pushing air foreward. It could be pushing enough to actually keep it away from the fans. Double check your temps with another gauge just to be sure you have the correct info.

The shroud looks like it is blocking air. I know that shrouds seem to cover some of the radiator, but they have an angle to them. Yours looks flat and is thereby pushing air foreward. It could be pushing enough to actually keep it away from the fans. Double check your temps with another gauge just to be sure you have the correct info.

Nice quote from Reagan. Sure could use him right about now.

OBAMA One Big A$$ Mistake America

I would try running the car without the thermostat It might help it cool a lote faster! That pump is probably to slow for the flow.

Put a real water-pump on it. Electrics are only for cooling between 1/4 mile passes.

That's always been my understanding. There are just too many things not right with the cooling system for a street car.

The guys on this board are trying to help you solve your cooling problem. Invest in a high quality fan. You need to move more air through that radiator. Try Jegs or Summit.

My earlier suggestion won't help much, unless you move more air through that thing.

I was also hoping that my new hood would help keep her a little bit cooler. I just put on the six pack hood a week or so ago.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I greatly appreciate the help.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!! You have a fiberglass hood. I had the same problem with my six pack hood. You have to make sure that the hood is sealed to the radiator support, I used foam rubber typically used to seal a window air conditioner to the window (got it at Lowes). What I found is that when stuck in traffic hot air was coming out from under the front of my unsealed hood and was being sucked back through the radiator. This made my cooling system very inefficient. I have every cooling device known to man kind High performance. Brassworks water pump, seperate transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 7 blade mechanical fan with a shroud, electric pusher fan on a alluminum radiator and a 180 degree thermostat. I went NUTS trying. to figure out how to cool it until I noticed the heat comming out from under the hood. Try sealing it with a couple of towels in the driveway.Good Luck

-
Back