Layson's statement release

-
STRONGLY DISAGREE....I happen to know quite a few Chrysler Reps and they are actually paying for alot of your "oh... im only out of warranty by 600 miles" type of things... I mean LOTS.....and your arguments will be.... "but it shouldnt fail so soon".... guess you knew the warranty when you bought it.... and hoped for more ?? come on... bash Chrysler and bash the rest the other big boy auto makers... they all have similar processes... I dont say that Chrysler was right or wrong...but I dont bash them. I have had numerous new Chrysler product cars and currently drive a 2008 Avenger..not only that I work for a large Chrysler dealer... and I see all types of "complaints" which are not due to any workmanship or fault on Chrysler part... but Chrysler still pays for it..... " well Chryslers seat upholstry should hold up to my ball point pen poking through it....." ya......customer idiots.

The above is strictly and solely my opinion... if you dont like it... who cares.

Pardon my rant.... but I have a hard time with people who talk out of their mind.
-RPM

Brand new member here because I wanted to see what was being said about the Layson's situation. (Yes... I do own an A-body)

I don't understand why some of you are crawling all over Chrysler's back about this? It's been an ongoing problem (licencing fees) with Layson's for years now. Did you guys know that twice Dave has signed paperwork stating that he would start paying the licence fees and reneged both times? And did any of you think he would state anything other than his claimed innocence in his "official statement"? Remember that there are NO guily men in prison, just ask them, they're all innocent! Time to take off the rose colored galsses!

It isn't up to you or me to decide his guilt or innocence. That's for the court to decide.

The vendors that do pay the licence fees are very happy about this right now.

Did you guys know that twice Rick has signed paperwork stating that he would start paying the licence fees and reneged both times?

Stubbs71Dart, I assume you meant Dave...the owner of Layson's and not Rick who is simply an employee.

By the way, I like your avatar...it looks like me when I wake up in the morning. :toothy10:

STRONGLY DISAGREE....I happen to know quite a few Chrysler Reps and they are actually paying for alot of your "oh... im only out of warranty by 600 miles" type of things... I mean LOTS.....and your arguments will be.... "but it shouldnt fail so soon".... guess you knew the warranty when you bought it.... and hoped for more ?? come on... bash Chrysler and bash the rest the other big boy auto makers... they all have similar processes... I dont say that Chrysler was right or wrong...but I dont bash them. I have had numerous new Chrysler product cars and currently drive a 2008 Avenger..not only that I work for a large Chrysler dealer... and I see all types of "complaints" which are not due to any workmanship or fault on Chrysler part... but Chrysler still pays for it.....

-RPM

RPM, I still have all my Chrysler cars from 1974 through the 1980s. During those two decades, I would not have bought anything except Chrysler (really made my wife mad). In the late 80s and 90s, Chrysler had mostly front wheel drive cars that I absolutely hated to drive during business trips that required a rental car. They lost me as a customer. Today, I have three daily driver Grand Marquis in my driveway.

Before I went to Layson's, Year One, or The Paddock, I went to two local Chrysler dealerships. Not a one of them wanted to look up a part before 1984, which is as far back as their computerized inventory system goes. I eventually bought a service manual for the particular year I was restoring, and same story. Local Chrysler dealerships cannot get the part. They don't want to be bothered by me. Nowadays they are selling these ugly four door Chargers. Yea, it's got a hemi, but not like the hemis I remember. When I tried to buy the new Challenger, the local dealership only got one and I was way down on the waiting list. Do you see a problem here? Chrysler does not know how to satisfy this consumer. The muscle cars of the 70s are hot, but Chrysler is not selling the parts. Piss on Chrysler. I'll buy from Layson's or whomever can get me the damn part. If the part is not OEM, but it is close and works, I'll buy it if Chrysler/Mopar doesn't sell it.

By the way, I have ordered from Layson's. I heard about their problems and kept calling until I got Dave Layson on the phone. I told him the Paddock has had me on back order for eight months, because they were waiting for Layson's to deliver to The Paddock. (Apparently Year One also buys some items from Layson's also.) It took a few days, but Dave went and pulled four new wheel opening moldings for my 74 Dart Sport, I paid Layson's instead of The Paddock, and they are currently on the car. The Paddock finally sent me two of the four moldings seven months later, and I'm still on back order for the other two. (I also have a 73 Dart to restore.) Now that Layson's is shut down, I will probably never get those other two wheel moldings. Thank you Chrysler.

Those of you wanting to bash Layson's, that is your right. But if Layson's is the only supplier of the part, and you must have it, either you aggravate Dave or Rick like I did, or you just don't get the part. Frankly I enjoy being the pest. If Layson's catalog lists it, they should have it for immediate delivery. Unfortunately the catalog is full of items that take forever or never to receive. I would hate to have most of you in the jury if I was ever on trial. Do the words compassion and forgiveness mean anything?

Stubbs71Dart, I assume you meant Dave...the owner of Layson's and not Rick who is simply an employee.

By the way, I like your avatar...it looks like me when I wake up in the morning. :toothy10:

You are correct Sir! My error!

That pic is a sculpture/art by Patricia Piccinini! Weird stuff!

Say "BYE-BYE" to your soon to be released 1970 Dart Taillight Lenses! Pentestar on them? DO NOT CARE! Just want a lense that fits with no cracks or holes please -FOR SAFETY's SAKE- .I have been watching Chrysler doing this crap for over 20 years now. They even came after me for licensing for my Dart GT Registry!!!! They only let me off the hook BECAUSE I was NOT selling anything or charging membership fees BUT required me to put the "Non Afilliation Statement" on each page on MY site! As for Layson: I have known him for many years and have always gotten what I paid for in a very timely manner. NOTE TO CHRYSLER: I will NOT be buying any more New (Non Vintage) vehicles from you! Hmm..... thats all, over, and out.

Do you really think that Chrysler would even think of starting a bogus lawsuit against anyone? Big Dave is going down. Even if he beats the rap the damage done from all the hype will do him in for sure.
BTW; where can I get one of those "Layson's Sucks" polo shirts? I need to fill up my Xmas list.

Maybe Dave L will be so beaten down by this he will sit back and let the good folks who work for him like Jaycee and Rick run things properly, that would be a positive out come.

Chrysler's stance on this matter only serves to reinforce (in my feeble mind) that we, as a culture, are being pushed toward regarding everything as we would a toaster. When it stops working properly, we're supposed to go out and buy a new one. I'd have an easier time justifying this if anything were truly domestically produced. Chinese toasters are loaded with carefully engineered failure and a very predictable service life. It's easier to forecast consumer demand under such a business model.

That being said, I hope Layson's comes out okay on this. Their getting stomped could set a precedent that would complicate continued operation of my Frankencars.
If automakers want me to buy cars like toasters then they better make them like 5 grand a car and then I'd be happy with them only lasting 3 or 4 years. because then I could actually afford a new car every 3 years

Do you really think that Chrysler would even think of starting a bogus lawsuit against anyone?.

Actually I do. It is called intimidation. Big companies do it all the time.

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? We did too. It was a family owned one store, mom and pop deal UNTIL the massive Discount Tire decided to invade Georgia and intimidated the original Discount Tire into changing their name with threats of lawsuits.

If you owned a small shop and a major corporation were going to sue you, would you spend every penny you could get trying to fight them or change your name. (The real Discount Tire is now Darda Tire)

I dont know if Dave is right or wrong in this case. I DO know Chrysler, Mopar, Mercedes Benz, and Daimler Chrysler DID NOT and NEVER WILL produce the tailights for my 66 Valiant.

I visited the Laysons tent at Carlisle on July 10, one day before the bust...

There was a slight issue with my 68 cuda tail panel trim for which I had gladly paid $300 (no other source in sight)...

Rick and Dave consulted, agreed to replace the panel, gave me a receipt...

On July 11 Layson's is busted, I'm near their tent and see what was at one time my tail panel being loaded with confiscated inventory, explain the situation to the head police honcho, and was threatened with arrest if I did not "back off", that all the goods "are being confiscated".

I called two weeks later, talked to Jaycee, she passed the information on to Rick, who promptly called me...he stated that my tail panel trim would be replaced by Laysons, they had a copy of the receipt, but that they could not do it right away, give them several weeks until things settled down...

About 5 weeks after the bust I get a communication from both Rick and Dave Layson that my tail panel had been shipped...I received it four days later in excellent condition...they wanted me to e-mail them upon receipt...

I"ve purchased from Layons in the past after having asked if they had the item in inventory and have been very satisified with the quality and the delivery...do you think that mother mopar would have made sure that I was not out a part if they had issues?...

Guys, get a grip, if we lose Laysons there is NO ONE to fill that void...mother mopar is not going to reproduce parts and sell them for some $30 as those Mopar licensing idiots claimed the reproduction parts were worth...it had to have been a set up, and I think that time will bear this out to be the case. Bruce Kepley, Monroe, NC, USA

If Chrysler is so concerned about their "heritage," I wonder why they don't re-pop any old parts? God knows they'd sell better than their car/truck/SUV lines do...but then again, imagine what each parts would cost,too!

Yep.. I just pushed the swinger out of garage to put my Mazda in there.. The Mopar is going to sit for a long time..

A shame that Chrysler has turned into the anit christ car company... See pic below..

8809001Large.jpg

No Need to give up on your car over this,now is actually the time to git-r-dun and enjoy it while you can.what is happening with the auto manufacturers and our government is NOT GOOD but driving our lil' hotrods and enjoying them is GOOD! so get out the wrenches and put that lil' car together and drive it!tell the mazda to move over rover gotta make room for the other dawg in the shop too!! woof!!!!

I visited the Laysons tent at Carlisle on July 10, one day before the bust...

There was a slight issue with my 68 cuda tail panel trim for which I had gladly paid $300 (no other source in sight)...

Rick and Dave consulted, agreed to replace the panel, gave me a receipt...

On July 11 Layson's is busted, I'm near their tent and see what was at one time my tail panel being loaded with confiscated inventory, explain the situation to the head police honcho, and was threatened with arrest if I did not "back off", that all the goods "are being confiscated".

I called two weeks later, talked to Jaycee, she passed the information on to Rick, who promptly called me...he stated that my tail panel trim would be replaced by Laysons, they had a copy of the receipt, but that they could not do it right away, give them several weeks until things settled down...

About 5 weeks after the bust I get a communication from both Rick and Dave Layson that my tail panel had been shipped...I received it four days later in excellent condition...they wanted me to e-mail them upon receipt...

I"ve purchased from Layons in the past after having asked if they had the item in inventory and have been very satisified with the quality and the delivery...do you think that mother mopar would have made sure that I was not out a part if they had issues?...

Guys, get a grip, if we lose Laysons there is NO ONE to fill that void...mother mopar is not going to reproduce parts and sell them for some $30 as those Mopar licensing idiots claimed the reproduction parts were worth...it had to have been a set up, and I think that time will bear this out to be the case. Bruce Kepley, Monroe, NC, USA

This story is one in a million, I don't know anyone that hasn't had at least one issue with them.

His parts are top notch, but his customer service and attitude leave a lot to be desired. He may be the only one to get some of these parts from but it just isn't worth the hassle to deal with him. I agree with one of the earlier posts that if Rick ran the place it would be a better company.

I personally dealt with him a half dozen times and I needed Ibuprofen after each one, I called about rocker molding clips and they wanted $95 for clips that they admit weren't made for the early A-Body and needed modifying to use them, I found some at the local parts store for $12 that worked great. The last deal was a $700 order which I told him to keep after he tried to raise the price after the order was made, I was able to get it all elsewhere and at a cheaper price. He basically stole an NOS Quarter panel from a buddy of mine. Dave made a deal with him and after Dave had the quarter in his possession, he said he couldn't do the deal. My buddy ended up with more money in shipping than the parts he did receive cost and Dave got to keep the quarter.

Does anyone know for sure what the latest is with Layson's?

They were at the Nats although I didn't have time to browse. looked like business as usual. toolman

This story is one in a million, I don't know anyone that hasn't had at least one issue with them.

His parts are top notch, but his customer service and attitude leave a lot to be desired. He may be the only one to get some of these parts from but it just isn't worth the hassle to deal with him. I agree with one of the earlier posts that if Rick ran the place it would be a better company.

I personally dealt with him a half dozen times and I needed Ibuprofen after each one, I called about rocker molding clips and they wanted $95 for clips that they admit weren't made for the early A-Body and needed modifying to use them, I found some at the local parts store for $12 that worked great. The last deal was a $700 order which I told him to keep after he tried to raise the price after the order was made, I was able to get it all elsewhere and at a cheaper price. He basically stole an NOS Quarter panel from a buddy of mine. Dave made a deal with him and after Dave had the quarter in his possession, he said he couldn't do the deal. My buddy ended up with more money in shipping than the parts he did receive cost and Dave got to keep the quarter.

Does anyone know for sure what the latest is with Layson's?

now thats the laysons we all know.. they could fall off the face of the earth for all i care. screw those crooks.

-
Back