Layson's statement release

-

intergalactica

Reaction score
Lakewood, WA – Dave Layson, owner of Layson’s Restorations of Lakewood, Washington vehemently denies any wrongdoing in connection with the investigation that resulted in the searches of his properties in Kent and Lakewood, Washington, seizures of his inventory, and his arrest at the annual Chrysler at Carlisle car show in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

The investigation comes as the culmination of a long-running dispute between Layson’s and the Chrysler Corporation and is the result of competitor’s complaints about the market share Layson’s has been able to capture manufacturing long-discontinued parts for the collector car hobby. Competitors have long been frustrated by Layson’s ability to bring these parts to market, and sell them at fair prices to consumers.

The suggestion that excess or ill-gotten profits have been generated is totally without merit. The costs associated with engineering, producing, marketing and shipping these long forgotten pieces is substantial. Layson’s has always sought to produce the best part at the lowest cost for the consumer and has done extensive legal research to support its position in this.

Layson manufactures parts without Chrysler’s trademark Pentastar logo and under the law, is completely justified in so doing. Layson’s has always sold the parts it manufactures as “Reproductions” and has bent over backwards to make the distinction clear because frankly, the new parts are far superior to the originals.

In addition, Chrysler has yet to roll-out a meaningful licensing program to include manufacturing standards, exclusivity agreements, marketing agreements or a uniform royalty structure.

Because of that fact, and years of turnover and indecision at Chrysler, Layson’s Restorations, like many other similar vendors, has not opted to participate in the company’s ill-conceived and yet to be fully developed licensure program. As a result, Chrysler has tried to intimidate and coerce vendors in this industry to pay into what amounts to a, “Black hole” of a non-existent and yet-unformed licensure program.

Parts that carry the Pentastar logo seized from Layson’s were all purchased from “licensed” vendors, and are not so called “Forged auto parts” as the mis-informed authorities acting at Chrysler’s behest allege.

Layson has records and purchase orders to document the acquisition of these parts and is confident that a more careful investigation will prove these facts. While Layson’s does not subscribe to Chrysler’s claim of licensure, other mis-informed vendors have been intimidated into doing so, and subsequently have produced parts bearing the trademark Pentastar. Again, any of those parts in Layson’s possession were legally purchased from those vendors and the documents exist to prove it.

Layson’s believes that the Chrysler Corporation wrote a criminal complaint that constituted a, “Wish list” of sorts. Chrysler was then able to persuade investigators in tiny North Middleton, PA to carry their water, which in turn lead to a request for assistance from the Lakewood, WA Police Department.

The searches, seizures and resulting loss of business have been entirely excessive. The serious verbiage contained in the charges, excessive bail, and the use of clearly excessive criminal charges are outrageous.

The questioning of employees, the seizure of personal property and the blind speculation about, “Exploding” investigations by Lakewood law enforcement officials who have no background in this case or trademark law are way, way out of line, are libelous on their face and have already caused Layson’s Restorations serious and substantial damages in the marketplace.

Efforts to recover the company’s reputation, inventory and lost revenues will be vigorous.

Indeed, my dear Watson..........Indeed.

Like I've stated, he's innocent until proven guilty........Customer service, shipping times, returns, etc. are NOT the point here.......Ma Mopar's licensing program (or the lack thereof) IS the point here...........

If the evidence shows that no "forgeries" exist, and that the repops are vacant of any logos or trademarks, then Chrysler should have no leg to stand on....UNLESS they still have active patents on particular parts in question, which I doubt.

The problem is that Chrysler has a boat load of cash to litigate with, and this will take years to settle.......In the meantime, it would take an injunction to free up assets for Layson to return to a limited business ability, but I doubt that's in the cards........just too many questions about legality of the parts.

I know your pain being wrangled by Laysons at times.....I suffered the same.....but this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt when you consider the actual charges and the evidence (or lack thereof) they've produced.

From what I've read and pondered, it's looking like a sad and dark day for Mopar enthusiasts and restorationists. :disgust:

Definately a no win for anyone situation,he loses,we lose,we love the game(restoring old cars)this takes the fun out of it.Rick is in a bad spot I hope the best for him.Chrysler just wants to sell new cars,I'm not buying!!!!

This is the "big picture" I see...
It's not the mere coins from lisensing that they seek. They want to sell new cars, plain and simple.
The attendance numbers at events like Chryslers at Carlisle increase every year while showroom sales decline.
To have their coperate attorneys focused on shutting down repop vendors rather than completing a lisensing policy is just board room decisions on how to do business.

I hope Layson sues the hell out of Chrysler and that police department if this is what it seems-pure intimidation. I dont like bullies and I go out of my way to stand up to them.

Chrysler as we loved it does NOT exist anymore. I have been thinking baout selling my car and giving up the hobby. And Chrysler with this type crap hasnt convinced me otherwise.

Chrysler needs to realize that we are the most LIKELY to buy their products but not with this attitude. As a matter of fact, reading this makes me glad my daily driver is a NISSAN pickup.

Screw you Chrysler or whatever your name is this week!!

One last thing, where was MOPAR whne we needed parts for our cars so we could restore them????

I don't care if he was making "forged" parts or not...I know two people who paid for stuff and to this day have never gotten it...that's just plain thievery.

The problem is he wasnt arrested for thievery. If he had, I wouldnt be sympathetic.

Chrysler, for some reason, has been throwing their weight around to a lot of vendors, WEBSITES, etc.

Who will you get your parts form when Chrysler runs them all off?

The problem is that Chrysler has a boat load of cash to litigate with, and this will take years to settle.......In the meantime, it would take an injunction to free up assets for Layson to return to a limited business ability, but I doubt that's in the cards........just too many questions about legality of the parts.

EXACTAMUNDO!!! He'll have to play ball with them...or find another game...

Ray

When we gonna get Rick and Jaycee on here for a statement?

I think Rick and Jaycee shouldn't say anything. It's just going to involve them more in the deal. I'm sure there are tons of mis-information and rumors being spread right now on this. But they need to just bite their tougues and let the lawyers work it out.

And with these interenet disscussions, it always ends up escalating to a bigger deal. Why get them tangled up more than they already were/are.

People have said some nice things directly about Rick and Jaycee. That should be fine enough.

Absolutely on that one........Good folks who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.........I think we all hope they find good employment quickly, and are left alone by the prosecutors.

Business ethics and practice to consumers has no place at all in this case or these discussions. Any posts insinuating that Layson's deserves this treatment due to personal or hearsay dealings are moot to this issue. I'm ashamed of you John.

This issue is about the ability of a business to reproduce a component to fix something, and whether the company that originated the design and/or the tooling to manufacture the component has non-time limited exclusive rights to be the sole manufacurer/distributor or at the least the exculsice licensor to others to manufacture said part.

Many companies are remanufacturing parts for our older cars (toasters, vacuum cleaners, computers). Parts such as brakes, suspension components, transmission internals/cases, rear ends, interior parts, switches, sheet metal panels and patches.. you get it, a lot of parts are made by various manufacturers. The vast majority of these parts are "unlicensed" by Chrysler. Companies like PST and Moog do not pay a licensing fee for every replacement component they manufacture.

The issue is not the reproduction of the replacement parts, but the use of any Chrysler branding or Chrysler identification numbers that could possibly be misconstrued by an end-user as being an oem part. This is mainly due to protect the company from litigation if a product fails and causes injury or damage. Licensing ensures that the process used to manufacture the part has been approved by the company, and conforms to the specifications with regards to fit and safety.

With regards to trim, and in Layson's case especially—lenses, many have some type of visible manufacturer IDs, logos etc. To use these marks (or stamping numbers on e-body fenders) to tout the part as "original" only serves to increase the value of the vehicle it is attached.

The case comes down to whether or not the reproductions that were in their possession contained these copyrighted/trademarked markings. If they do, then they must be licensed. If they are purchased through a licensed manufacturer, and paperwork can prove this, then there is no case.

More important to us, is whether Chrysler is attempting to stop the remanufacture of products that it is currently licensing or even considering licensing even if these "knockoffs" are void of casting/part numbers. If this is the case, then any product designed and sold to be used as an aftermarket or replacement component can be deemed to infringe, and subject to being removed from the market. Ominous? Always.

So.. either the marked parts are legit, or they are not legit. That is the only legal question.

So.. is MaMope trying to crush the aftermarket of unlicensed products only an aside to this issue, or is it REALLY the issue?

BTW. If taxes are involved.. thats another issue haha

Grant

I think this sucks for the hobbyist. I have never had a problem buying from Layson's, although many have.

Layson's was the only show in town for awhile and it sucks to see that this may have an affect on the already weak aftermarket for hard to find mopar parts.......

It will a contest in the court...most parties will stay mum until after the trial...so now this whole thing will fade away for a while...

To the people who wish and write bad things:

If you who feel you were treated unfairly by Laysons there is legal recourse
for you already built into the system. Use it and win.

As to Laysons problems:

Nothing has been proven by Chrysler and until they are,
at least in this country, you are innocent until proven otherwise.

I personally feel Chrysler did not have enough evideince to stop this problem legally through the courts.

What they did do is instill fear and intimidate any and all who might
defy them and used a small town police department as their muscle.
This is using the system against its citizens through manipulation.
Let's destroy one company and all the rest will be afraid and fall in line.
The legal fee could be astronomical to defend.

I fear that this is the future and if this is how legal and business matters
can be resolved it will be used more often.

Just my 2 cents.

That shouldnt be hard

You mean since it wasn't that good to begin with?

ON the subject of repopping parts.......

Several year ago I investigated having the 340 exhaust manifold gasket/heat shield repopped since I have a nice one put away. I contacted a lot of gasket manufacturers and the ONLY one that said they were interested in doing it was in Istanbul Turkey. They wanted me to ship it to them to disassemble and inspect. Being the ONLY one I had (and the fact no one was making them at the time) I was reluctant and didn't send it.

Also, in order for them to make them I would have had to SELL my "new" part for about $350 a copy in order to barely make a profit. I really couldn't see anyone spending that much money for a freakin gasket. Or I guess I should say that "I" wouldn't have wanted to pay that for one.

Maybe that helps explain some of what they (those who have parts repopped) go through to get some parts made.

I hope Layson sues the hell out of Chrysler and that police department if this is what it seems-pure intimidation. I dont like bullies and I go out of my way to stand up to them.

Chrysler as we loved it does NOT exist anymore. I have been thinking baout selling my car and giving up the hobby. And Chrysler with this type crap hasnt convinced me otherwise.

Chrysler needs to realize that we are the most LIKELY to buy their products but not with this attitude. As a matter of fact, reading this makes me glad my daily driver is a NISSAN pickup.

Screw you Chrysler or whatever your name is this week!!

One last thing, where was MOPAR whne we needed parts for our cars so we could restore them????
i agree, why should mopar care?? they dont sell those products any way so its not competition.. its just $$$$ because noone (american car companies) are selling cars right now ..
mine and my wifes dailys are both phords... (but they are not much better)

exactly.

Im all for Dave Layson getting arrested for his bad business practices but Im calling BS on Chryslers reasons for pressing charges.

All they are doing is making things harder for the hobiests to get the parts we need for our cars. You know Chrysler has no plans on reproducing those parts and if they did most of us couldnt afford them.

Lakewood, WA – Dave Layson, owner of Layson’s Restorations of Lakewood, Washington vehemently denies any wrongdoing in connection with the investigation that resulted in the searches of his properties in Kent and Lakewood, Washington, seizures of his inventory, and his arrest at the annual Chrysler at Carlisle car show in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

The investigation comes as the culmination of a long-running dispute between Layson’s and the Chrysler Corporation and is the result of competitor’s complaints about the market share Layson’s has been able to capture manufacturing long-discontinued parts for the collector car hobby. Competitors have long been frustrated by Layson’s ability to bring these parts to market, and sell them at fair prices to consumers.

The suggestion that excess or ill-gotten profits have been generated is totally without merit. The costs associated with engineering, producing, marketing and shipping these long forgotten pieces is substantial. Layson’s has always sought to produce the best part at the lowest cost for the consumer and has done extensive legal research to support its position in this.

Layson manufactures parts without Chrysler’s trademark Pentastar logo and under the law, is completely justified in so doing. Layson’s has always sold the parts it manufactures as “Reproductions” and has bent over backwards to make the distinction clear because frankly, the new parts are far superior to the originals.

In addition, Chrysler has yet to roll-out a meaningful licensing program to include manufacturing standards, exclusivity agreements, marketing agreements or a uniform royalty structure.

Because of that fact, and years of turnover and indecision at Chrysler, Layson’s Restorations, like many other similar vendors, has not opted to participate in the company’s ill-conceived and yet to be fully developed licensure program. As a result, Chrysler has tried to intimidate and coerce vendors in this industry to pay into what amounts to a, “Black hole” of a non-existent and yet-unformed licensure program.

Parts that carry the Pentastar logo seized from Layson’s were all purchased from “licensed” vendors, and are not so called “Forged auto parts” as the mis-informed authorities acting at Chrysler’s behest allege.

Layson has records and purchase orders to document the acquisition of these parts and is confident that a more careful investigation will prove these facts. While Layson’s does not subscribe to Chrysler’s claim of licensure, other mis-informed vendors have been intimidated into doing so, and subsequently have produced parts bearing the trademark Pentastar. Again, any of those parts in Layson’s possession were legally purchased from those vendors and the documents exist to prove it.

Layson’s believes that the Chrysler Corporation wrote a criminal complaint that constituted a, “Wish list” of sorts. Chrysler was then able to persuade investigators in tiny North Middleton, PA to carry their water, which in turn lead to a request for assistance from the Lakewood, WA Police Department.

The searches, seizures and resulting loss of business have been entirely excessive. The serious verbiage contained in the charges, excessive bail, and the use of clearly excessive criminal charges are outrageous.

The questioning of employees, the seizure of personal property and the blind speculation about, “Exploding” investigations by Lakewood law enforcement officials who have no background in this case or trademark law are way, way out of line, are libelous on their face and have already caused Layson’s Restorations serious and substantial damages in the marketplace.

Efforts to recover the company’s reputation, inventory and lost revenues will be vigorous.
Fair prices? You've got to be kidding me.

-
Back