LCD LED or PLASMA?

-
My son used to work @ Best Buy. If you notice, often the plasma's are displayed by themselves and the picture id dumbed down for display purposes. BB makes a killing on LED/LCD units compared to plasmas.

Are you sure it's an LCD and not DLP? I wasn't aware Mitsubishi made 70" LCD's. Bulb replacement is a maintenance item on projection TV's.

the new dpl use LEDs instead of bulbs.....got 60 inch samsung DLP beautful picture...

saw a walmart...alot of plasma big screen on clearance...

My son used to work @ Best Buy. If you notice, often the plasma's are displayed by themselves and the picture id dumbed down for display purposes. BB makes a killing on LED/LCD units compared to plasmas.

The BB's by my house mix up the plasmas and LCD's. I didn't notice much segregation. But when you go to Fry's Electronics, you can clearly see that plasmas and LCD's are in separate aisles, so I'm not surprised that you mention this. My friend used to work at Fry's Electronics. He told me that due to the competitive nature of LCD's/LED's, they are low margin/loss leader items...which is why they try very hard to sell you warranties and those $50 HDMI cables. These retailers are cranking out LCDs/LEDs, but it's mainly to help sell the "add-ons" for extra margin.

Our old tube style died out around xmas time and I was faced with buying a new tv. I like the lcd picture the best out of them all. I wouldnt touch a plasma as they are weighty,have a glass screen.

I ended up buying an LG brand lcd. I like the "clear voice" option. It has the ability to boost lower level conversations in a movie,so your not always up and down on the volume.

Tv also has a sport sound mode which is uncanilly good at picking up a ref's voice in a hockey game! Now I can actually hear the ref make a bad call...

Maybe you should just put up a poll and let everyone vote for their choice. You can weight it any way you like. It would save a lot of reading time! lol

DLP bulbs are as low as 60 online, kind of a wonky deal, it uses a spinning color wheel like a primary colored pie chart shaded CD and a little chip that has microprocessor controlled mirrors to scan the image across the screen. You used to (recommended) have to run these off a UPS so the wheel wouldnt kill itself if the power suddenly cut out. This was at least 7 years ago. But they were supposed to have a suprisingly good picture in a low light room.

I have a 42" Panosonic Plasama. It was less than $500 picture is great. Didnt notice much of a bump in energy consumption.

I recommend a Plasma if you have a dark room. In a room with lots of natural light go LED if you can afford it.

Buy you HDMI cables on Amazon not BestBuy!

BTW how many years of "energy savings" will you need to own an LED to make up for the extra cost you pay up front? If your monthly budget is measured in pennies you shouldnt be thinking about a new TV...

I have a 42" Panosonic Plasama. It was less than $500 picture is great. Didnt notice much of a bump in energy consumption.

I recommend a Plasma if you have a dark room. In a room with lots of natural light go LED if you can afford it.

Buy you HDMI cables on Amazon not BestBuy!

BTW how many years of "energy savings" will you need to own an LED to make up for the extra cost you pay up front? If your monthly budget is measured in pennies you shouldnt be thinking about a new TV...

I believe LED will outlast them all, just for the fact that is doesnt have a primary light source or a gas..I took this into account when I bought my wimpy 36 HD CRT TV (like the last model made from Toshiba) Should last 20 years EZ as its on 12 hours a day with pre school kids and homemaker wife.

I'm in the film industry and "LED 1080p at 240hz." is the industry standard as of now. No smart tv crap, that what my laptop is for. Buuut go for what gives you the best price.

We have a couple of 46/47" LCD's in our home. One Samsung about 5 years old and a Sharp about a year old. Both have great picture quality. Only difference is the audio on the Samsung is better, but, it also cost about $500 more. I would say go LCD or LED.

I have had a Samsung plasma for a couple years now and it is great. We also have a newer Panasonic plasma and it is nice too but not as nice as the Samsung. Both rooms don't have a lot of natural light shining on them through the day so reflection off the glass isn't a problem. The nice thing with a plasma is that when viewing at an angle it still looks great. I am not sure about the LED;s but the LCD's always seemed to dim as you moved off center to me.

I'm very happy with my Vizio 42 LCD 1024 120 Hz.

Got it last year for $500, after lots of research. Just now starting to see this price for these features mainstream.
It has USB, 3x HDMI, and a nice selection of other inputs, and a relatively intuative menu, which is very important to me. I've seen lots of otherwise nice A/V equipment spoiled by an illogical interface, either on-screen, or on the remote.

FWIW, LCD/LED is just the backlight, nothing to do with picture quality.
(don't ask about CCFL vs EEFL)
Theoretically, LED should be cooler and use less energy.

Keep in mind that resolution is currently fixed at 1024 (or 720) lines.
Definately go for 1024 unless you get a 30 or smaller, and that at sizes larger than 50, you will start to see the lines or "pixel" squares, if you are close.
(a 40 has 1024 lines, and so does a 70, therefore, the lines are larger on the 70)

I have a 180" Projection setup in my living room, Anything less than 60" is wimpy to me :finga:

Bulb life is about 4,000 hours and the replacement bulb is pretty cheap.. Doesn't matter if the lights are on or off in the room, the picture is crystal clear and simply amazing.

I'm considering an LED projector for my second "set".
When I first saw them, there was only one manufacturer- casio.
Now there are several, and the price had dropped.
20,000 hours and no $400 bulb to replace.
Bigest issue at this point is lumens- top rating is only about 500, so you'd need a kind of dark room.

I have a Samsung 54'' plasma 1080p and really like it.
Sports on H.D. is awesome, and i've never had any problems with it, and i've had it for over 2 years now. It does run a bit warm, but not too bad.
The only thing that i don't like is the ''ghosting'' that it does when the scene changes to a light background, especially watching hockey, but it goes away after about 3 or 4 seconds.
I would buy another one, but the LED T.V.s you get today are probably the way i would go if i was in the market for a new T.V.

-
Back