Ld4b early edition manifold

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
So I picked up an ld4b for my 68 but low and behold my bolt holes don't line up leading me to believe that it's for an early model 273. Anyway to find out for sure? Thanks.

The special edition for the early 273's was the D4B.

You have the LD4B, which is for the 66 and later 273/318.

Have your heads or block been decked and the geometry may be off???

Well that's good to know that I do have an ld4b. Oh boy, I don't know if the motor has been decked, I know it was rebuilt before I bought it. I have the stock 2 barrel manifold on there so I am pretty sure its not. What number can I look for on the heads if they are an early model? Its funny that one side goes in clean and the other side all the bolts get bound up. Just when you think its gonna be an easy swap! haha

I bet you have the early heads.

Well that's good to know that I do have an ld4b. Oh boy, I don't know if the motor has been decked, I know it was rebuilt before I bought it. I have the stock 2 barrel manifold on there so I am pretty sure its not. What number can I look for on the heads if they are an early model? Its funny that one side goes in clean and the other side all the bolts get bound up. Just when you think its gonna be an easy swap! haha

Early head casting numbers...

2465315 273 1964-65 1.78 1.50
2536178 273 1966 1.78 1.50

Well I looked up my heads and they are the right casting.
2843675 273/318 1968-74 1.78 1.50

So my other question is if you look the underside of the manifold there is a hole in the rear for the dowel on the block. On the front rail there is more of an indentation could this possibly not be letting the manifold sit down low enough to bolt up?

That's probably it. Those dowel pins need to be removed.

Yea I bet those don't help, do you think those dowels pull out or will they need to be ground flat?

They pull right out with a pair of dykes.

Well I know what I will be doing tomorrow! The only bummer is I bolted the old manifold back up and gave up on the ld4b!

Yes, with any small block Mopar.

Ha I was waiting for that one kuda. Hey I did notice that there are no provisions for a/c support brackets to mount. What have others done about this.

There is no coil mount either. You can use a 340 6 pack coil bracket that uses the rear ps intake bolts.

They are really needed. You will have to fabricate and modify a little otherwise your main bracket will crack and break.

I've always used vise grips to yank them out... :glasses7:

Never thought of using a pair of dykes.... Er... Umm... I mean for pulling out pins.... :D

Usually one is ok with it and the other gets all pissed off and wants to kick my ***. :D

-
Back