Leak at fuel sender, replace tank?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
While working on my driveshaft yesterday i found that my gas tank is seeping and it looks like the metal outer ring on the gas tank is warped so that my fuel sender wont seat.

Is that a fixable problem or at this point(original tank) am i better off just buying a new tank? Also, are the ebay tanks any good?(from people with actual experience please)

If you need a ring and gasket I have a new set for sale. If you find out that you need a tank I have one of those also.
PM me no e-mails

How do you mean "warped", like the sheet metal the ring is attached to doesn't lie in a flat plane? Look like something hit it and deformed the ring? If you siphoned out all the gas, could you remove the sender and straighten the ring? Use a brass drift or wood dowel, nothing steel that can cause sparks.

How do you mean "warped", like the sheet metal the ring is attached to doesn't lie in a flat plane? Look like something hit it and deformed the ring? If you siphoned out all the gas, could you remove the sender and straighten the ring? Use a brass drift or wood dowel, nothing steel that can cause sparks.

Well, possibly someone. :banghead:

I had my car at a friend's shop for the magnum engine swap since i don't have a garage and he mentioned that the lock ring wasnt locking terribly well and may have given it some love taps to try and help it lock better, but i'm thinking it may have just made things worse.

Usually when the rubber o ring leaks at the sender, it is because the little tits on the locking ring have lost their spring. All that usually needs to be done is remove the locking ring, remove the gasket, clean it up good and the surfaces where it seals. Then look at the little tits on the locking ring and gently bend them so that the ring will lock back down tighter when you reinstall it. It is very obvious which way you need to bent them when you have it all apart. In 100% of the sender leaks I have encountered thus far, this has fixed them ALL.

Some people use 2 gaskets to make it tight, but I agree with bending the tabs on the lock ring, or get a new lock ring. Often if you buy a new sender it comes w/ a new lock-ring. If you wait until the gas tank is 1/2 full, you can take the sender out without dropping the tank, though much easier if you drop the tank.

Some of the lock rings that come with aftermarket senders are too thin. Always use a new seal with the original lock ring.

Some of the lock rings that come with aftermarket senders are too thin. Always use a new seal with the original lock ring.

2x On that lots of guys have had this problem always use original lock ring.

Well its a bit late for using the old lock-ring because i changed the sender about a year ago or so and during that time it didnt seem to be leaking.

Anyhow, before i spring for a new tank i thought i'd try replacing the lock ring/gasket just in case.

I Ordered two different rings. The spectra premium, which doesnt look ideal, but looks better than what came on with my ebay sender and a new gasket(which is making me wonder if my ebay sender had a gasket.)

And the one i'm likely to end up using is this airtex lock ring that looks really nice:
Airtex-Fuel-Tank-Lock-Ring---LR7000_Square.jpg

The one that came with the ebay sender doesnt have the nice tabs to prevent the ring from being knocked past the divot.

-
Back