Leaking PS gear box at top-need help

-

BB73Challenger

Reaction score
I feel silly such a thing as a leak is stumping me but I need some help...

Attached is a pick of the leaky area.
It's the little cast aluminum piece on the low pressure side that bolts to the steering gear itself.
I've always had a slow leak, and wanted to get this done.
After removing this piece i realized there was no gasket and just a little o ring in a recess.
So I tried cleaning the 2 surfaces and making a home made gasket. Nope leaked like crazy.
Tried installing a new o-ring, .09 thick but was too big on the OD, so I split and put the "new" o-ring in and the ends matched pretty good. No I didn't glue the ends or anything, probably a big mistake because, leaked like crazy.
Tried putting the same old o-ring in from another old gear box i had, and leaked like crazy.

So, should I be "sealing" these surfaces with some kind of gasket sealer/maker?
What and where to get the correct new o-ring? I'm not sure what to call this component.
Valve on power steering pump gear box? I just don't know.
Thanks in advance for any help, and my garage floor thanks you for any help in keeping fluid off it.

Attachments

• ps.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 590
i think nape has a seal kit for the whole box but it includes the o ring for this part. make sure there is not a hairline crack in it. There is also o-rings under the part it bolts to so that may be where the leak is at.

I went to Ace hardware and bought the correct size o rings. They have a good selection. I hope you marked the block; you may have to center after you get it fixed.

Dummy me.. there are 2 o rings in that little piece.

I did run to the hardware store after checking for any possible small/hairline cracks.

i used #67 13/16" OD by 11/16" ID 1/16" thick and #6 7/16" OD by 5/16" ID 1/16" thick.
They both seem to have done it.

Thanks for the input!!

Good on you. I love the little hardware store near my house, sure beats the big chain stores.

Its a return valve. They have a tendency to clog up and this could cause a leak from too much pressure. Unbolt the nipple and clean the internals with some solvent or brake cleaner, make sure it goes back together the same way it came apart! Get some new O rings and run it. No Gasket.

Also check for pitting on the spool valve where the O rings attach.

I plan on doing this repair this spring. Hopefully it fixes the problem. Would it be easier to pull the steering box and do this out of the car? This is on a 67 dart 273 car, so the steering box is tucked nicely under the exhaust manifold.
Thanks

For my 67 273 I did manage it in car with not much problem.
Trying to recall correctly I believe the return valve is mounted with a couple of "low head" bolts and I took my time to keep from rounding them off.
I just used the closed end of a typical box wrench.

Good luck... wish I had done it sooner.
Not difficult or expensive and now dry as a bone

Can anyone help me drive a little deeper into this issue? I've attached two pics of my 68' Dart--the return valve area from the OP picture looks completely dry but I have PS fluid leaking out the drive shaft. (I think that's where it's coming from...see wet spot in other pic). Is this the same issue that could be solved simply by changing the seals or is this something different?
View attachment IMG_7587.jpg

View attachment IMG_7585.jpg

You have to "tweak" the return valve body when installing it. After installing it, start the car if it wants to drift to one side, then you need to slide the valve body up or down until it stays neutral...

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I don't think I'm having the same leak as the OP...but I can't tell. The second picture I posted is like the original picture from this thread. But I don't see any visible leaks around that area. What I have is a solid leak that is coming from underneath the steering box or something... The moment the car is turned on it starts leaking pretty fast. It's not the pump or any of the hoses...it's coming from underneath. I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

I jacked up the car and took a close look underneath yesterday. PS fluid is leaking out of the bottom of the steering wheel column. It trickles out where I've circled in red and then it drips down the idler arm. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?View attachment IMG_13822.jpg

I jacked up the car and took a close look underneath yesterday. PS fluid is leaking out of the bottom of the steering wheel column. It trickles out where I've circled in red and then it drips down the idler arm. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?View attachment 1714873727

if i remember right, there is a seal around that shaft, I've taken them apart just to toy with, I've never tried putting it back together. I'm not even sure where to get that seal from, maybe Chrysler or firm feel even.

Got the valve off and new orings, but having trouble getting it back together. The part I am having trouble with is the steel part, it will go together easily without the spring, but once I get the spring on it doesn't want to go together. Is there a trick I am missing?
Never mind I got it.

Have it all back together, new hose, and now I can't get the valve adjusted correctly. It is all the ways forward(towards front of car) and still wants to self turn to the right. Adjusting it rearward and it turns to the right even harder.

Shift it transversly; across from the driver's side to the passenger side.I do it with the wheels hanging in the air and the engine idling. I have a helper hang on hard, to the steering wheel, cuz if you bop the valve a tiny bit too much, the steering wheel will slam over the other way, and hard too.

OK thanks. It seems to be steering harder to the right also. this is with tires on cardboard on concrete. I will try side to side adjustment before I take it all apart and start over.
Aaron

Got it done, ended up pulling valve back off, cleaned everything with brake clean and dried it, lubed valve with clean power steering fluid put it back together and was able to slide it down to paint line where it was before disassembly, and perfect now. Not sure what I did different but works now and hopefully all leaks gone.

good info in this thread I love this place!
i used #67 13/16" OD by 11/16" ID 1/16" thick and #6 7/16" OD by 5/16" ID 1/16" thick x2

Last edited:
-
Back