learning to drive a stick...what car did you learn on.

-
65 mustang 289 3 spd on the floor. The pilot shaft bushing was worn out and the shift linkage was sloppy as hell. Dad had a hard time letting the clutch out without lurching and shuddering badly. After I learned to drive it we changed the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot shaft bushing, shifter, and replaced the heh 3 spd with a later ran from a mavrick. Anything has been easy as hell to drive after the way that thing was before we fixed it.

1948 Willys jeep. The very first time that I tried to drive it, I popped the clutch and ran into the garage door. T he old man gave me a good kick in the rear and told me to slow down and take my time.

LOL
I have a 48 willys that is about 95% restored.
I also have a 14 year old kid that will have no choice but to drive a stick shift, because
we have 8 vehicles and none are auto's.:burnout:

I learned on an old Farmall tractor that was my grandpa's, my uncle still has the tractor.
First actual road driving was a 65 coronet, my grandpa gave it to me for my first car.

Believe it was a 60/61 Plymouth Belvedere, 6 cyl, 3 on tree. I was about 14 and this was grandpa's car. Probably about 1970.

Taught myself on the neighbor's virago 920.

First car experience was about 20 min in a late 70's datsun truck.

First real car experience was convincing my friend to let me borrow his 1970 nova 350 4 speed for an evening. Now THAT was fun.

i learned how to use a clutch on a motorcycle first. we always rode minibikes / snowmobiles etc all over the place back when i was a kid. a neighbor had a yamaha 250 enduro i learned on that. so getting into a car with a stick it was no biggie.

Old air cooled VW... Not enough power to get out of control in case of a clutch dump and very cheap to replace the clutch if they kill it..

1972 Datsoon pickemup....when I was 7 or so....Dad had a gutter business and I spent the summers driving around northwest NJ with him. He let me drive on the roads when I was about 9 or so...that is when my mother caught us....

1972 Datsoon pickemup....when I was 7 or so....Dad had a gutter business and I spent the summers driving around northwest NJ with him. He let me drive on the roads when I was about 9 or so...that is when my mother caught us....

lol busted with ur Dad!

that one's a classic

1986 Chevy Spectrum, great little car and quick with a 5pd. Bought it off the lot at 16 and had to drive it home. So no choice jumped in and ground some gears on the drive home.

1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Roadster for me. All original and the transmission wasn't synchronized, so you have to double clutch it.

My dad's go-kart built in the 1950s with my grandfather. Picture of me and my sister around 1970. 8hp Chushman motor scooter motor and Crosley 3-speed transmission.

First car, my dad's 1978 Fiesta.

Jumped in with my mom, when I got my license, went around the block for demonstration purposes and that was it.

Paul

Attachments

• gokart.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 122
I learned stick on an old '85 Toyota SR-5 pick up.....that 6 cylinder in that truck was pretty good for power I might say here (BUT wasn't till I got to move my uncles '70 Dodge pick up around), with a 3 on the tree that power was a bit more in it, (I thought it had a 6 cylinder in it, turns out he had a 340 in the damned thing!) Odd build of his....I don't know where the hell he got half the parts for it.....I then was nothing more then a kid....Altho today, I'm not much more then that now, a kid but thats all good, yer only as old as ya feel right?

Get me in my truck, I'm 18 again! Turned 36 yesterday! LOL

79 Horizon TC-3 and 81 Charger 2.2 for me.

Oldest son learned on '04 GTO to get ready for his 2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500.

Youngest son on a 2011 Mustang Shelby GT-500 (the 550 HP version) and the 04 GTO....

1/2 and 1/2 My dads 4x4 F150 (1971 version) with the granny gear 4-speed. Dad used to let me drive when we were out hunting, driving the backroads and jeep trails.

and

My older brothers '55 T-bird, with a 350 chevy and a Muncie 4-speed. He would take me out on backroads and let me drive a bit.

Learned on my first car, 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook 2dr. Flathead (L) six, three on the tree. Still have and drive the car.

I had already driven for quite a while on several classics, but my first stick was a 2000 Cobra R. Bought it at the dealer and had to have my friend drive it home. Took a day or so to figure out. After that it was off with the rear spoiler and sent it to paint as red was too flashy. Had it done in black.

First time i drove stick, a buddy in college said his car was making a strange noise- could i check it out? So not thinking i grab the keys and walk out to his VW Bug. Yep, its a stick. So i go back in and tell him i never drove one. I knew how it worked, just never tried. So he tells me go ahead, i asked him could he at least tell me the pattern, since it was not on the shifter. Got in and drove like i knew what i was doing.
I did not do as well on my second encounter with a manual. I got a job with a furniture restoration place near Scranton PA. Boss asked me to drive the van with a load in the back. For anyone not familiar Scranton the roads are like a roller coaster of hills. Plus it had snowed the night before. I did OK till I had a stop sign going uphill on an icy road....
I finally really learned when i bought a Pinto as a DD.

1979 Toyota Celica ST. I wish I knew a screw held on the shifter knob so I could have kept it before we sold it, wood with a green background for the pattern. Coolest shifter knob I've ever seen.

-
Back