learning to drive a stick...what car did you learn on.

-
1970 F250 Camper Special, no power anything with the compound low 4 speed and a 360 V8. Lots of fond memories.

'67 B5 Blue Post Dart, 3 on the tree, vinyl floor mat and the ONLY option was an AM Radio. Dad sold it to neighbor across the street in '73 and it finally rusted into the Michigan ground with almost 300K miles.

I taught my wife to drive my jeep wrangler. 4.0 5 speed and in low range she couldn't stall it!!

Learned to row the gears on a 1970 Duster 3 speed on the way home from Texas to Ca sitting between my mom and dad on the hot black bench seat, i think i was 5 or 6. Learned to drive a stick on my dads company car, a 1975 Celica GT. First year they offered a 5 speed i think. That shifter was sloppy but smooth. Nice clutch too. Day and night compared to his other car, a Subaru GL-10, that had a clutch from hell. Drivers ed teacher told us on a manual trans, stalled in a bad spot like intersection or railroad tracks, jam it in first, hit the starter ( no clutch!) and floor it when it catches....my mom **** when i pulled that.

When I was 16, my dad taught me how to get the feel of how the clutch "grabbed", on a 1976 Harley Davidson Electra Glide. Then, after I learned how to ride that, and work the clutch, he taught me how to drive a 1975 GMC 1 ton 12' stake body truck they had where he worked. He also taught me how to parallel park in that same truck.

LOL
I have a 48 willys that is about 95% restored.
I also have a 14 year old kid that will have no choice but to drive a stick shift, because
we have 8 vehicles and none are auto's.:burnout:

I learned on an old Farmall tractor that was my grandpa's, my uncle still has the tractor.
First actual road driving was a 65 coronet, my grandpa gave it to me for my first car.

I work with someone who has the same deal...but his daughter refuses to learn to drive a standard shift. Absolutely flatly refuses, will not even attempt to learn.

I learned on a 1953 Chevy with 3 on the tree and the old foot starter pedal.

Learned to drive a stick in a 1980 Honda Accord. Same color as this one.

1980_Honda_Accord_Sedan_For_Sale_resize.jpg

Plymouth Arrow back in the day.
Andrew

Arrow Fastback or Arrow Truck?

I learned to drive stick in an '87 D50 4x4 with a 9' Dumpbed, and a 7.5' Snow Plow on the Front. I was about 11 years old at the time

My dad threw me the keys, told me to plow the snow off the driveway and not hit anything. He then walked back inside where it was warm.

Wasn't long after that, he had me driving a '55 2.5 Ton Chevy Dumptruck up into the mountains to haul stuff. Had a 4-Speed with a 2-Speed Rear Differential, Double Clutching with a Crashbox and a 2-Speed Rear.

When I got my permit, I drove an '84 and an '87 D50 4x4 (Both Stick). Took my Driver's Test in the '87, with a snow plow hanging from the front. Instructor said he'd never seen anyone parallel park a plow truck before :D

I still have that '84, only it's not a stick anymore (sadly). Both '87 D50's are long gone, replaced one of them with a '92 D50 4x4 (Stick also). Seeing a trend here? Not the D50's (I like those), the fact that all of them were Manuals. The Automatic Transmissions (TF904 and A500 Overdrive) were extremely rare options and I've only ever seen 4 automatic D50's in my life.

'64 GTO 389 4spd. tuned to perfection. Was full throttle speed shifting it before
I even knew how to drive it yet. Became my first car soon after that.

not counting the 50 ford I stole a 42 Plymouth ex taxi cab or police car

1965 International 1 ton Dump Truck, straight 6, 4 speed with a granny gear in 1st. Top speed was about 65 empty.

1963 Corvair with a 3 speed tranny. Paid $20 for the car with a bad starter motor.

Had to push start it and pop the clutch to get it home, and had to learn how to drive a clutch real fast, as if it stalled I had to push it again to get it going!:wack:

The first car I drove was a green 1966 Holden HR Ute....had a 161 ci 6 cyl, and 3 in the tree manual, with a crash 1st gear, and I could shift it down into 1st while moving at about 10 mph without grating the gears....I was 13 at the time.
I used to drive it on the highway too.....you could get away with it back then...1981.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/3YMAAOSwdelTlkl8/$_75.JPG

My first lesson with a stick was in 46 Dodge pickup. My friends dad owned it and we used it on their farm. It's also the first vehicle I ever wrecked. I hit a fence post bouncing through a gate opening and smashed the right fender and headlight. We beat the dent out with a big ball peen hammer...you can imagine how bad that turned out. Well karma struck back and I've been a bodyman almost all my adult life, 30 yrs now. The truck was identical to this pic....before the fence post incident

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q9BQBQ0MtHU6Cw~~_16.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 105
1970 Camaro w/3 speed. I managed to tear 1st gear out of it and had to take off in 2nd.
Did a lot other evil things in that car too. Did you know that heels will tear a headliner? When I was 16 I never gave it a thought.

my first real car a 66 sport furry 383 4 speed forest green ,I carried a shovel in the trunk so I could dig under it to replace the clutch also used clutches from the junk yards in the trunk all time ,didn't have any money or tow trucks in those days .

-
Back