learning to drive a stick...what car did you learn on.

-
1970 Camaro w/3 speed. I managed to tear 1st gear out of it and had to take off in 2nd.
Did a lot other evil things in that car too. Did you know that heels will tear a headliner? When I was 16 I never gave it a thought.

Why were you wearing heels at 16? Still wear them?

a 1969 VW Bug and with that knowledge got my first truck driving job in a 1976 Ford C cabover roll off delivering lumber

learned on my first car. 73 lemans sport coupe.. 350 3 speed on the floor.. lots of fun in that car..

img076.jpg

Took my driver's test in a '67 Beetle. Started my learning years before in a '53 International 1 ton in the woods and fields around the neighbor's house. If he ever figured out what was going on with his farm truck when he wasn't home, he never said anything about it...

Bought this 76 Capri (German import for Mercury) with a 2.8 liter V6. Super fun car to drive. Taught myself on the way home - and for the next few days.

Had to do it like this a few times.... :burnout:

Attachments

• 1976Capri02.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 136
A'61 Rambler--3 on-the-tree, all of about 80hp IIRC. Then graduated to a typical '55 Chevy hot rod---- M21, 327 with the "30 across" cam & 4:56 gears. Wish I had that thing now.....

A'61 Rambler--3 on-the-tree, all of about 80hp IIRC. Then graduated to a typical '55 Chevy hot rod---- M21, 327 with the "30 across" cam & 4:56 gears. Wish I had that thing now.....

As much as some people hate the tri 5's , hell of a street machine/ race car start.

sitting in Ma's lap at 10 yrs of age in 55 pony-ack )Pontiac)... actually learned on 49 checy, 3 on tree..... O K it wasn't cool but beat walkin!?????

A 'volkspiggin' type 2...

Yep the very same , Ya'll know the unit (lol).

Shift 'feel' was akin to a baseball bat in a barrel of coconuts.

Then I graduated to an '64 Valiant Slant powered 3 on the tree...

Coconuts still on the tree, but a much shorter lever, LMAO.

Somewhere in all that confusion There was this '833 in an 383 'S' Barracuda...

Kicked Myself in the *** for not Buying that one.

Actually it was a Ford 8N tractor and then a Volkswagen bus followed by a 59 Vauxhall.

1977 AMC Hornet AMX! My Brother bought it new, then we swapped in a 355 and super T10. Man that car was a great sleeper. I was twelve!

Took some lessons in a Dodge Omni but actually learned in my 88 Mustang LX 5.0.

Mustang was a fun ride.

Steve

Learned in a dream. True story. I'd seen people drive sticks b4 but when I was probably 13-14 I dreamt one night that I was sitting in a 5 speed car and I looked down and saw the shift pattern and worked the clutch and when I woke up in the morning I knew how to drive a stick!! Next time I was at my buddy's place and they had a 1st gen S-10 with a 5 speed and we jumped in and I drove it without instruction, that was the first time I drove a stick.

-
Back