learning to drive a stick...what car did you learn on.

-
'73 Barracuda with a 3spd, It was a daily driver so I had to learn quickly.

62 falcon in my unles lap at age 7, then I was driving an old ford flat bed in the fields pulling trailers full on strawberry flats = what you see 12 pints of strawberries in at the market or store :D

I really don't remember what I learned on

at 6 I was playing in dads 56 chevy 3 on the tree and got it in neutral and it started out the driveway. Dad and brother running to stop the car before it got in the ditch across the street

1st car I actually drove was a 62 Corvair at 10 but it was PG shifted on the dash. Probably 1st stick was brothers 63 Valiant slant 6 with 3 on the tree

BUT I do know what my daughter learned in

I made sure she could drive a stick since I had cut my right thumb real bad and needed to go to the hospital when I was 18 and a friend that was there but only 15 and didn't know how to drive a stick. He could drive but didn't get out of the driveway before I told him to get out. I wrapped a rag tight around my right thumb and pressed it up against my hurst T handle shifter and drove myself to the hospital for I think 9 stitches.

So back to my daughter. Had sold all my stick cars so what to teach her in. Had her drive the Internation 140 tractor to get the feel of a clutch and giving it gas (didn't let her use hand throttle) Then to the real shift it 5 speed. We had a 67 F600 single axle and F700 single axle dump truck with Detroit Diesel and 5 speed. So she got to drive it to learn how to shift a manual transmission. Don't know if she has driven one since.

My uncle's truck: 1979 F-250 4x4 XLT Ranger...351M and 4-speed.

A guy I work with has a daughter who flatly refuses to learn to drive a standard shift.

A 1952 mercury 3 ton truck. It had a flat head, 4 sp. with a vacume 2 sp axel. Learned how to drive it hauling grain from the combine to the bin. I was 13. Had to be carfull not to keep dad waiting in the field with a full hopper.

1957 Chevy Pickup. Worked on family farm at 15. Uncle says... boy take that truck down and start clearing rocks from the pasture. He says you can drive a manual? I say whats a manual. He points to clutch, push in and put in gear here, let out while giving gas. I was off and running.....always loved that old truck.

78 Datsun pickup. Hot Rodded it. Came to driving, a overcommed 351 Cleveland. Got sideways,scared the car owner...

I drove a friends 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 W/ 352 4 speed once before I bought a new 1971 Duster 340 3 speed. Nothing like learning on the fly.

71 volkswagen van, first year with the porsche dual carb motor
it wasn't very fast but that thing could go anywhere

2000 Subaru 2.5 RS Coupe.

My friend said "There's a sweet Subaru near my house, bring some cash."
I got there and told the owner I wanted to test drive it, and then got in and realized it was a stick. Made my friend test drive it for me.
Paid for it, took at 30 minute lesson, and then had to drive it home.

I worked the grave shift near a mall, so I was able to practice all night.

1946 Chevy Pickup. Out on the old fire trails. I miss the ole days.

First manual vehicle I ever drove was a tractor.
I don't think it was a "Tug" which says to have started in 1973.. I don't know who made it.

68 390 Mustang GT/CA my older brothers car...then I bought a 67 GTO with a 4 speed Muncie ...best shifting 4 speed ever..

and 70 ARRCuda with 4 speed....

1948 Willys jeep. The very first time that I tried to drive it, I popped the clutch and ran into the garage door. T he old man gave me a good kick in the rear and told me to slow down and take my time.

1981 D150 short wheel base slant 6 4 speed OD trans. Loved that truck!

Also did some dabbling around then with a 59 panel delivery with a 3 on the tree.

When I was 13 dad dug his rail buggy out of mothballs and gave it to me. Same place I learned to ride wheelies!

4 wheeler

car wise

1992 dodge d250 cummins with a 10,000 lb trailer behind it

learned backing a trailer into tight spaces around a corner, and driving a stick at the same time at night

I learned to drive & drive a stick in a 69 barracuda 6cyln. 3 on the tree.

I learned on a 54 Chevy Bel Air, very few people had automatics in 63. My neighbor had a 59 Bonneville, that sucker was supercharged from the factory. It was one of the few automatic cars I remember.

-
Back