Leg issues. Anyone have any guesses what is going on here.

-
Hydrocortisone, one dose(for a hemorrhoid) and now I'm a type 1 diabetic for life. Stuff is unbelievably dangerous.
Dad took spinal injections of it for sciatica and now has to use a catheter because it wrecks your nerves.

Hydrocortisone, one dose(for a hemorrhoid) and now I'm a type 1 diabetic for life. Stuff is unbelievably dangerous.
Dad took spinal injections of it for sciatica and now has to use a catheter because it wrecks your nerves.
I had sciatica for a few years because of a lower back injury and a bulged disc. My chiropractor got me through it with no surgery or injuries.

For Muscle Relaxation

20231107_211942.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

It’s your lead foot causing the pain.

I had the same problem in the 70’s when I used to race.

I use a product on the market called Unkers. It’s a therapeutic rub. Has many uses. My wife has a bad back and it really helps her. Google it, give it a try.

444AED80-39DC-47F9-9D0B-C0F1DB7B01F1.jpeg

When I get calf cramps in the night it feels like a knife is stuck in the center of my calf but it also knots up.

I’ll start off by saying I’ve had three meniscus operations on my right knee and both of my knees are shot. I get cortisone shots in both knees every three months and usually get 5-6 weeks with less pain. Well a couple of months I get woke up out of my sleep with my right calf muscle feeling like it’s trying to roll over. Terrible pain. Three weeks ago at a race at Norwalk it did it again in my motorhome. This past weekend I could hardly get out of a chair and walk till I stretched it out. Today I got half way to my shop (75 feet) and had to turn around. Tylenol and advil do nothing. Ice does next to nothing. Anyone ever have something like this happen.
dill pickle juice !!!!!

More water...... you should be peeing at least once an hour if not you are dehydrating. Drink a cup before bed and expect to get up and pee. No soda juice or other beverages.

Diabetic here, so Coke Zero/Gatorade Zero was my go to for a long time, but I've swapped to tap water NOT bottled water. I just add a couple squirts of the flavored concentrate(Mio etc), helps me drink more water. Easily drink 3L of "water" a day. Taking Jardiance now too which makes you pi$$ a LOT. I'm easily up 3-4 times a night.

Diabetic here, so Coke Zero/Gatorade Zero was my go to for a long time, but I've swapped to tap water NOT bottled water. I just add a couple squirts of the flavored concentrate(Mio etc), helps me drink more water. Easily drink 3L of "water" a day. Taking Jardiance now too which makes you pi$$ a LOT. I'm easily up 3-4 times a night.
I have to pee with the dogs several time a night(Tao the Shar-Pei is 15+ years) sometime I go out in the woods with them and pee.

The wife and I both drink this in the morning, once a day for average person. When working outdoor in the 100+ Florida heat I would drink a serving when I get dizzy , 1/2hr recovery
and I'm back at it.

90 day for 30 bucks
Amazon product ASIN B07XVCD1MY
1699463117577.png

About this item​

• Enhanced Electrolytes for Hydration & Recovery. Enhanced with BCAAs, Real Salt, and B-Vitamins for hydration, recovery, and stamina support.*
  • Real Salt. BCAAs. B-Vitamins. An all-in-one hydration and recovery drink formulated with an extensive electrolyte complex including Sodium from Real Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium, and Zinc for maximum hydration — and enhanced with BCAAs such as L-leucine & L-valine as well as a full Vitamin B complex to help accelerate recovery and improve stamina.*
  • No added Sugar. No added Calories. The best-tasting sugar free electrolyte powder you will ever taste made with all-natural sweeteners. NO ADDED: sugar, calories, caffeine, gluten, dairy, soy, nuts.*

I have to pee with the dogs several time a night(Tao the Shar-Pei is 15+ years) sometime I go out in the woods with them and pee.

The wife and I both drink this in the morning, once a day for average person. When working outdoor in the 100+ Florida heat I would drink a serving when I get dizzy , 1/2hr recovery
and I'm back at it.

90 day for 30 bucks
Amazon product ASIN B07XVCD1MYView attachment 1716163975

About this item​

• Enhanced Electrolytes for Hydration & Recovery. Enhanced with BCAAs, Real Salt, and B-Vitamins for hydration, recovery, and stamina support.*
  • Real Salt. BCAAs. B-Vitamins. An all-in-one hydration and recovery drink formulated with an extensive electrolyte complex including Sodium from Real Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium, and Zinc for maximum hydration — and enhanced with BCAAs such as L-leucine & L-valine as well as a full Vitamin B complex to help accelerate recovery and improve stamina.*
  • No added Sugar. No added Calories. The best-tasting sugar free electrolyte powder you will ever taste made with all-natural sweeteners. NO ADDED: sugar, calories, caffeine, gluten, dairy, soy, nuts.*

I use a BCAA post-workout yup. :thumbsup:

I feel for you, PBR.
I have had leg and side cramps since I was young, and I'm 61 now.
The only thing that works for me is to stay hydrated and have calcium/magnesium and lots of sleep every day.
I have had a barrage of tests over the years, and nothing has come up.
My electrolytes are good, my sugars are good, and everything else tests normal.
If I do a lot of work when it's hot out, it makes it worse regardless on how much I drink or how much sleep and cal/mag that I take.
And when they happen, I just try to get as comfortable as I can, whether it's standing with my leg bent, or whatever eases the pain.
They only last about 10 minutes, but the muscles ''twitch'' around the area some more until it's gone.
And, when you start to feel some relief happening mid cramp, it comes on harder than it was at first then finally eases off.
Deep breathing exercises, stretching, and body position has little effect.
Yes, I've tried bananas, and every concoction in the book, but that's what works for me...

And on the knee replacement, I had my left knee scoped 3 times and finally had a replacement done about a year and a half ago.
The operation and recovery went well with no infection, but I warn you, if you have it done, follow the surgeon's recommendations for recovery to a T.
That's post surgery, and physiotherapy, cleaning, the whole ball of wax.
I'm very happy with the outcome, but it's not perfect.
I still have some pain in the muscles around the knee because of old and surgery trauma.
I'm still fighting to get range back and pain reduction, but it's slowly coming back.
A lot of it is old damage that needs to come back...

I really enjoy your posts on engine building, racing, and porting heads.
Hopefully, some of these posts will help you.
Personally, I am contemplating on selling most of my cars and parts off and getting out of the game other than a couple of cars and some parts...

Almost positive water isn’t an issue as I love water. Laying here this morning trying to think what I did and a couple things pop to mind. I sold a 440 block to a friend for 40.00 that had a hole ripped in the top of the block when they broke it pulling it with a hylift. I drug it 20 feet so they could grab it. And I took back my Sears Diehard platinum battery to Advance Auto. And got another one. Those suckers are the heaviest batteries I’ve ever used. A hot bath soaking gave me some relief till I sat in my office chair and tightened up again.

Almost positive water isn’t an issue as I love water. Laying here this morning trying to think what I did and a couple things pop to mind. I sold a 440 block to a friend for 40.00 that had a hole ripped in the top of the block when they broke it pulling it with a hylift. I drug it 20 feet so they could grab it. And I took back my Sears Diehard platinum battery to Advance Auto. And got another one. Those suckers are the heaviest batteries I’ve ever used. A hot bath soaking gave me some relief till I sat in my office chair and tightened up again.
I find that anytime I have been moving or lifting a lot of heavy items my knees will be very sore for the next few days. I don't get the leg cramps nightly like I used to, but I will still have them once in a while.
My job is pretty physical, lots of climbing, lifting, etc and now at 60 it's not as easy as it was even 10 years ago.

This is gonna sound stupid, but it works for me. For immediate relief, grab and pinch the indention in your upper lip just under your nose. HARD. About as hard as you can stand it. Daddy told me this when I would get leg cramps when I worked out when I was young. Damned if it didn't work. I've read that the banana and potassium thing is a bunch of hoorah, that you need to drink more water. I drink lots of water now and I cannot remember the last leg cramp.
Funny you should say that Rob. I was getting a shoulder worked on at physio with acupuncture. I had a drop in BP and passed out......When I came to, I had an acupuncture needle in the same place that you describe. I inquired, and the Doc said that is called the "life saving needle" I didn't know what to think.

Ok small update. I took a hot soak bath before my shower so I would be able to go see the doctor today. I gotta tell you I’ve had two of the best family doctors over the years. My first one passed away and I picked this one out of the remaining three and I picked a good one. After I had to sit out the 2021 race season for heal reasons he ordered me to get back racing and loved the fact I can still do it. Well I threw on a pair of my thin short pants under my jeans so he could get a good look at my leg. Almost immediately he said I tore my calf muscle. He was shocked that I could drive the 10 miles to see him. I told him I get cortisone shots on the 20th and he said great they can check it out. The fact that I could move my foot up and down was a good sign and he said they probably won’t operate. He prescribed Tylenol with codeine to help with pain. He said it should get better each day.

Last edited:
Ok small update. I took a hot soak bath before my shower so I would be able to go see the doctor today. I gotta tell you I’ve had two of the best family doctors over the years. My first one passed away and I picked this one out of the remaining three and I picked a good one. After I had to sit out the 2021 race season for heal reasons he ordered me to get back racing and loved the fact I can still do in. Well I threw on a pair of my thin short pants under my jeans so he could get a good look at my leg. Almost immediately he said I tore my calf muscle. He was shocked that I could drive the 10 miles to see him. I told him I get cortisone shots on the 20th and said great they can check it out. The fact that I could move my foot up and down was a good sign and he said they probably won’t operate. He prescribed Tylenol with codeine to help with pain. He said it should get better each day.
That's good news!

-
Back