Let’s have another discussion. This time TrickFlow heads.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since our last discussion on valves and flow numbers went so well I have something else I’ve been self debating. Anyone that has a set or has really looked at the intake port of a TrickFlow head has noticed the “wing” behind the valve guide. Well I thought TrickFlow came up with something during testing. That was till I looked at an LS Chevy head and there it is. As some of you guys know I now have 8 sets of 243 and 799 LS heads that I am going to be porting. Well in my spare time I’ve been reading and watching porting videos and BAM one of the first steps is to “remove” said wing on LS heads. Hmmm what are your thoughts on this. I’m sure TrickFlow copied this technology and it now has me wondering maybe I should remove it on my TrickFlow heads. What’s your thoughts

Since our last discussion on valves and flow numbers went so well I have something else I’ve been self debating. Anyone that has a set or has really looked at the intake port of a TrickFlow head has noticed the “wing” behind the valve guide. Well I thought TrickFlow came up with something during testing. That was till I looked at an LS Chevy head and there it is. As some of you guys know I now have 8 sets of 243 and 799 LS heads that I am going to be porting. Well in my spare time I’ve been reading and watching porting videos and BAM one of the first steps is to “remove” said wing on LS heads. Hmmm what are your thoughts on this. I’m sure TrickFlow copied this technology and it now has me wondering maybe I should remove it on my TrickFlow heads. What’s your thoughts
What is the manufacturing idea behind the wing? What were the results on the video of before and after?

What is the manufacturing idea behind the wing? What were the results on the video of before and after?

Just a guess but in the case of an LS heads maybe it helped at the stock lower flow cfm and helped with flow distribution. But when you port them to increase flow they have to go. It must have been tested and removal helped or why do the needed labor.

Conversely, I've seen porters massage the guide bump and carve a wing in. Supposedly to help the flow follow the passage better?

I am NOT a porter so I'm going off what I've seen and not done.

Seems it would be pretty easy to get a junk head and do a simple (simple, yeah right, lol) before and after.

"Swirl vein", "flag", "wing", etc.

Seems to be a lot of debate on that in LS world. From what I was able to gather in a quick search and like waht you alluded to in post #3, they generally get removed for max effort porting but on anything less it just gets profiled/cleaned up. Would be interesting to see how the port flow dynamics are changed with and without it.

"Swirl vein", "flag", "wing", etc.

Seems to be a lot of debate on that in LS world. From what I was able to gather in a quick search and like waht you alluded to in post #3, they generally get removed for max effort porting but on anything less it just gets profiled/cleaned up. Would be interesting to see how the port flow dynamics are changed with and without it.

I don’t mind sharing what I find out but I hate to bring that discussion on a Mopar site. To me if I learn something it doesn’t really matter and in this case may help on TrickFlow heads. But some guys may get offended.

I don’t mind sharing what I find out but I hate to bring that discussion on a Mopar site. To me if I learn something it doesn’t really matter and in this case may help on TrickFlow heads. But some guys may get offended.

I for one welcome your efforts an willingness to share information. A port is a port in the most basic sense. I'll probably get bashed for saying that but whatever.

My friend who does lots of porting ( mostly sbm ) he is currently doing port testing on a some LS heads for me… I will talk to him and see if he is willing to let me pass on his contact info to you… he is pretty low key but very good at what he does….

My friend who does lots of porting ( mostly sbm ) he is currently doing port testing on a some LS heads for me… I will talk to him and see if he is willing to let me pass on his contact info to you… he is pretty low key but very good at what he does….

I appreciate it but I pretty much have a game plan I’m going to try. I used to after Church on Sunday work on my own projects. I have to get back on that horse and get a head mount fixture finished for flow testing them. I grabbed a set for 50.00 that are exactly the same as the 243 and 799 heads but they run a smaller valve. I will upgrade those to a 2.0 valve and maybe a 2.02 for testing

No problem… the guy just tried the larger valves and porting on some 862 heads for me… the 2.02 valves ended not working on the 5.3 I’m building because of the bore size… he is tossed the 862 heads in the trash and he is now playing with playing with some 799s for my 5.3 project…

No problem… the guy just tried the larger valves and porting on some 862 heads for me… the 2.02 valves ended not working on the 5.3 I’m building because of the bore size… he is tossed the 862 heads in the trash and he is now playing with playing with some 799s for my 5.3 project…

A 2.0 would have worked for you right??? I ordered some of both and the 2.0’s were quite a bit more.

Well the swirl vein thing is there in these particular "Mopar" heads so I don't see the harm. I get it though, we're not here to discuss LS stuff in general but any info on how things work and what is needed to make it better is always good no matter what the end user does with it.

Looking forward to the results across the various lift points to see where the wing may help or hinder.

A 2.0 would have worked for you right??? I ordered some of both and the 2.0’s were quite a bit more.
Probably but I think the combustion chamber on the 862 head is smaller….so I was told that there was some shrouding issues…I think 2.02 would work on a 6.0 block but not on the tiny bore of a 5.3… I gave him the 799 heads last week… not sure if we will end up with a 2 or 1.98 valve yet

FWIW, the “competition ported” AFR SBC heads have the vein in the port.

5657B96E-6A9D-4D2E-A1C3-52B5C6A17460.png

FWIW, the “competition ported” AFR SBC heads have the vein in the port.

View attachment 1716145194

I reworked a set of CNC’d 220 AFR heads for a buddy that really sucked. I picked up well over 20cfm and did in fact remove a lot of the vane. I was a little afraid to go crazy but guys on LS are taking it all out. I was warned it gets thin there so don’t go super crazy.

I reworked a set of CNC’d 220 AFR heads for a buddy that really sucked. I picked up well over 20cfm and did in fact remove a lot of the vane. I was a little afraid to go crazy but guys on LS are taking it all out. I was warned it gets thin there so don’t go super crazy.

I thought it was to help swirl... will be interesting to see what you find if you do it to a LS head.... like anything in life though, if a guy did it and won 1 race and told someone, everyone will do it without data for why or if it actually did anything..

I’ll be following along to see what kinds of gains can be had by removing it on the TF heads.

Well guys like I said I had a shop to clean so I could unload the race car for some maintenance. To late to throw my coveralls on so I stripped down two 862 LS heads so I could get it in my cleaner. On my day (Sunday) I’ll try to at least get a flow fixture made.

43C84A45-4DCA-43DC-BBFA-C42FA577AED0.jpeg

On that particular AFR application, was that new heads you worked on or was that used heads where we can know how much ET it picked up? Just curious on that one.

The Trick Flow head is the one I would love to see with that vain and without it. I wish we knew if Trick Flow did dyno and track testing with and without that vain or if they just used it because it works in other platforms. We would never get a straight answer on that.

-
Back