Lets build a CHEAP(!!!!!!!) bracket motor!

-
I've seen those air gap knock-offs at swap meets for $150 and under and Edelbrock carbs as low as $60-75 bucks.

I've bought about 4 of those swap meet carbs and only one needed a good cleaning.
All the others ran as-is.

@gregsdart , I hear ya! This, “On the cheap route” is what I kind of did o my 5.9 for my ‘79 Magnum. It worked out to a bit more than I listed for a few reasons outside the engine. I did need a B&M adapters flexplate. It is a good deal all around.

Today, prices have gone up and alternative source of “Cheap” would have to be explored, since items like the intake have gone up a good bit over the last 5-7 years.

A used Chink intake, Edelbrock carb, cheap distributor & Summit headers are a inexpensive item that would work just fine. It could easily leave enough $$$ room for a good roller cam.
I agree,also consider these options. The stock 340/360 iron intakes were damn good. A u pick yard or swapmeet could provide a rebuildable carb core. Qjets came on 360s in 1985 at least. I owned a van with one. So with all these ideas, i firmly believe 400 hp could be had for $1000.

The OE iron intakes and the use of a TQ isn’t a bad route. While a slight bit power limiting and heavy, good power can be rung out of them even without the “F.A.S.T.” modifications. I picked up a iron intake from here just to mess around with it in the F.A.S.T. spirt of hot rodding.

I never had the chance with a QJ though. Other friends of mine really knew there way around them. One fella would pull the wheels of his Chevelle running an all iron mill. Damn quick sleeper he had.

Gentlmencan we go back to cheap bracket recipes?

You said bracket motor, right? Don't need to be fast, just consistent. I'll take a stock 318 and in a car that will react to the motor. Become a consistent driver and worry about my lane. The stripe will be in your favor more times than not.

When you have consistent mid 4 piperacks at every meet you can throw out the fast Et advantage.

If I wanted to bracket race that's my recipe. The other drivers will know they have their work cut out when they see you lol...

Good luck,
JW

Since the original opening post never stated a price limit, only a goal of cheap, how about this one?
One nice set of 8 400 stock pistons, one cheap 4.15 stroke crank, one set stock 440 rods. Install in 440 block. Result is 491 cubes. Find one pair of stock heads and bowl port them, back cut the valves the cheap way. 509 hyd cam with stock rockers and pushrods. Stock intake and TQ carb. 450 hp and no need for a stall converter!

They are untouched 1.92 valve eq's. Only flow around 40 cfm more than a factory magnum head. Well within the realm of what can be achieved home porting on stock mag heads.

Budget wise the eq's are a bit spendy, but that article shows you dont need a whole lot of cylinder head to hit that number.

Thanks MP. What valve springs, keepers and retainers ? Any head machining needed?
Hughes 1110's with their retainers/keepers.
EBay stock replacement valves.(we bought the heads bare)
If you go that route CHECK THE GUIDE CLEARANCE!!!
We had a tight guide crash a valve after a weekend at the track. Happened on the street at low rpm and didn't hurt anything but one valve and pushrod. Lucky....

So... where do we stand?
I agree,also consider these options. The stock 340/360 iron intakes were damn good. A u pick yard or swapmeet could provide a rebuildable carb core. Qjets came on 360s in 1985 at least. I owned a van with one. So with all these ideas, i firmly believe 400 hp could be had for $1000.

-
Back