Lets see some HEMI swap pictures

-
pathetically long way from finished...

img_2802.jpg

img_2801.jpg

img_2804.jpg
very cool cant wait to see it finished!!!

Interesting as these are, I find it weird that everybody assumed the OP meant 3G Hemi and not a 26

Hell, I can't afford either

Fortunately for me Buschi I'm building the car for the U.S. Although, if I get a smokin' good job here I may stay longer and have to find a way to get it here... No mods to the engine yet, no wait, just a 6.1 cam. I'm about to drop a stupid amount of money on valve covers and eventually even more stupid amount on a sheet metal intake. I'm thinking stroker down the road. I'd like to have 400-450 to the pavement when all is said and done.

HERES MINE 1968 ORIGINAL 383 BIG BLOCK SPORT SATELLITE CONVERTIBLE THAT HAS BEEN TURNED INTO A GTX CLONE ORIGINAL BIG BLOCK BUCKET AND CONSOLE CAR AFTER THE 2008 MOPAR NATS ON THE WAY HOME THE MOTOR GAVE OUT SO I WAS GOING TO INSTALL A REALLY NICE 440 THAT I HAVE IN PLACE OF IT THEN I GOT A WILD HAIR UP MY *** AND DECIDED ON A NEW STYLE HEMI WELL THE FIRST THING YOU DO IS LURK ON EVERYSITE AND OCASSIONALLY ASK QUESTIONS THEN TALLY PARTS I FIGURED THAT AROUND 8 TO 10 GRAND WOULD DO I I DONE THE WORK SO I SET OUT TO BUY A HEMI I WANTED A 6.1 AND THERE WENT MY BUDGET AT 6500 FOR A USED VERSION OR 13,000 FOR A NEW CRATE FROM INDY CYLINDER HEAD VERSION ILL TELL YOU I STARTED TO LOOK AT THE 440 THING I COULD ADD WHEELS AND BRAKES AND A NEW PAINT JOB FOR WHAT THIS WILL COST AND ITS FUNNY A FRIEND CALLED ME AND SAID HE HAD A 5.7 AND TRANS FROM A 300C 2008 WITH 29,000 MILESI ASKED HOW MUCH HE SAID 4,000 I SAID THATS TOO MUCH IVE SEEN THEM ON EBAY FOR 1800.00 HE WENT TO 3,000 AND I SAID 2,000 NEEDLESS TO SAY WE DIDNT COME TO AN AGREEEMENT SO I SHOT 2,500 AT HIM HE SAID NO THANKS HE WOULD SELL IT ELSEWHERE HE DIDNT NEED THE MONEY HE CALLED A WEEK LATER AND TOOK MY OFFER
SO THEN IT WAS PARTS LIST TIME TTI HEADERS,TTI MOTOR MOUNTS,MAN I STARTED ADDING IT UP AND MAN IT WAS A LOT FIRST OF ALL THE FACTORY TRANS FROM THE CAR LINES ARE JUNK THEY CANNOT BE USED NO MATTER WHAT THEN AND NOW MAYBE SOMEONE WILL FIGURE IT OUT BUT THE ABS BRAKE SENSOR IN THE WIRING HARNESS AND CONTROLLER WILL PROHIBIT IT FROM WORKING SO NEXT FOUR OPTIONS FACTORY 727 NO AOD,OR A518 WITH OVERDRIVE BUT YOU HAVE TO USE A BUTTON FOR THE LOCKUP,KEISLER AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE 5,500 AND THE KEISLER FIVE SPEED MANUAL OVERDRIVE ALSO 5,500.00 AND THEN THE PASSON FACTORY STYLE MANUAL OVERDRIVE THEY WERE WORKING ON THE CORRECT BELLHOUSING,AND THE TRUCK TRANS THE 4L60E WHICH WILL WORK FINE BUT TOO LARGE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT THE TRANS TUNNEL THAT NIXED THAT CHOICE.FIRST OF ALL IT TAKES A SMALL BLOCK STYLE TRANS FOR THE NEW HEMI.I PICKED THE FIVE SPEED KEISLER AND PUT A DOWN PAYMENT WAITED FOR 4 MONTHS ALMOST AND STILL DIDNT GET IT SO I HAD TO GIVE BLOOD TO GET MY DEPOSIT BACK AND WENT WITH THE TRUSTY 727 FOR 1,000 I GOT A BRAND NEW TCI FROM MANCINI DURING THAT TIME I BOUGHT A COMPLETE SET OF DISC BRAKES FROM DR DIFF. CASS IS AWESOME AND THEY SELL THE LEAST EXPENSIVE LARGE DISC BRAKE SETUP THAT YOU CAN BUY SO I REDID THE FRONT END PAINTED THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND ADDED FORD COBRA DISC BRAKES TO MY MOPAR BEFORE PUTTING THE ENGINE IN WWW.DRDIFF.COM.SO IM CONTEMPLATING HOW MUCH WORK THIS WILL BE AND THE COMPUTER STUFF I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE AND I KNOW A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE THAT THERE CARS ARE STILL IN LIMBO AFTER 5-6 YEARS SO I CALLED A BUDDY UP AND HE HAD STREET AND PERFORMANCE DO A COUPL OF NEW HEMI INSTALL TO PICK HIS BRAIN ON PRICING AND ITS A GOOD THING I DID THE GUYS THAT DONE THE WORK AT STREET AND PERFORMANCE LEFT THERE AND STARTED THERE OWN BUSINESS INSTALLING NEW MOTORS INTO OLD CARS SO I CALLED MARK AT SPANKYS ROD SHOP AND PICKED HIS BRAIN CHECKED OUT HIS WEBSITE WWW.SPANKYSRODSHOP.COM AND DECIDED THAT IT WAS WORTH 50.00 AN HOUR PLUS PARTS TO LET THE PROFESSIONALS DO IT AND IM SHURE GLAD I DID INSTALLING THE MOTOR WOULD BE NO PROB ITS THE COMPUTER AND ADJUSTING THAT I COULD NOT DO WELL I DROPPED IT OFF IN MAY AND PICKED IT UP IN AUGUST JUST THREE MONTHS AND IT WAS DONE AND SWEET I WOULD SAY THAT I HAVE A LITTLE OVER 15,000 IN THE BUILD BUT VERY SATISFIED IF YOU GO FUEL INJECTION YOU NEED A NEW TANK,NEW OIL PAN NEW RADIATORAND FANS,NEW MOTOR MOUNTS,NEW COMPUTER AND ECU,NEW WIRING HARNESS,NEW HEADERS,ADAPTOR PLATE FOR TRANSMISSION THERE IS A LOT TO ACTUALLY INSTALL AND TUNE ONE BUT IM GLAD I DONE THIS ITS MY SUMMER DRIVER I DRIVE IT EVERYWHERE AND NOW IT GETS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE AND DRIVES LIKE A DREAM IF YOU NEED ANY HELP THEY ARE THE EXPERTS DONT HESITATE TO CALL MARK OR ADAM THEY ARE PROS AT THIS. FUTURE UPGRADE I PLAN ON SOME KINDA POWER ADDER BLOWER OR SUPERCHARGER AND EVENTUALLY AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE VIA GEAR VENDORS OVERDRIVE THE ONLY REGRET WAS NOT PUTTING THE POWER STEERING BACK ON DAMN I MISS THAT

nice write up and great pictures. i tried to check out that spanky's website, it doesn't work

I finally get to contribute to the tread. I got the motor installed this weekend. allong with getting the front end stripped donw sand blasted painted and rebuilt with all new bushings and ball joints.

Attachments

• CIMG0470 (Medium).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,218
  • CIMG0481 (Medium).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,236
  • CIMG0480 (Medium).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • CIMG0479 (Medium).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,218
  • CIMG0478 (Medium).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,211
  • CIMG0477 (Medium).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,216
  • CIMG0476 (Medium).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • CIMG0475 (Medium).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • CIMG0474 (Medium).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,228
  • CIMG0473 (Medium).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,226
man those pics look way worse than it really is. it looks like there is a ton of rust on the car. the car is a gold color, it really doesnt look that bad in real life. ill have to snap some pics with my camera instead of my phone for you guys. the car isjust in the mock up stages. so the mess will be getting cleaned up. once its a little further allong.

anyway here are the last few.....

Attachments

• CIMG0488 (Medium).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • CIMG0487 (Medium).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,194
  • CIMG0486 (Medium).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • CIMG0485 (Medium).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,180
  • CIMG0484 (Medium).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,227
  • CIMG0483 (Medium).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • CIMG0482 (Medium).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,206
i also tried the link and would not work try to google search spanky's rod shop mena arkansas and you should find it

im amazed that someone got the original trans to work you think that someone would figure that out and make a permenant fix with something you could buy aftermarket that would be awesome i would much rather have the original aod trans with the motor in the car

354 Hemi in 68 Dart

Attachments

• Dart001.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Dart007.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Dart008.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,102
My site is 1973 duster, but for those who have not seen my site this is what I have so far. Not sure how the A/C unit is going to fit but I was told it will fit with minor mods to the stock K member.

Attachments

• duster 021.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 6.1 motor 004.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 6.1 motor 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 6.1 motor 002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 6.1 motor 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,143
I had to make a new bracket for my A/C. I raised it up about 4" to get it to clear. the pics not the best but you can see the bracket.

Attachments

• resize side.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,129
I had to make a new bracket for my A/C. I raised it up about 4" to get it to clear. the pics not the best but you can see the bracket.
Awesome Demon! What transmission is behind your 6.1? Also, what did you use for the wiring harness and computer? Im getting ready to install a 6.1 in my dads demon and were trying to figure out which way is the easiest and works the best. He's running a 727 for now.

we still need to meet up one of these days. I would love to see that car of yours. Allong with your dads. Mine is still in the mock up stages but soon enough it will be time to rip it apart for paint.

we still need to meet up one of these days. I would love to see that car of yours. Allong with your dads. Mine is still in the mock up stages but soon enough it will be time to rip it apart for paint.

We sure do man. Whenever your in the east valley hit me up. We just got done moving the shop to gilbert. Right off of elliott and az ave basically. My car will be down for the next month or so, working on a roll cage and subframe connectors and fuel cell and tail pipes and, the list goes on lol. I've got a bunch of work ahead of me to get it ready for mopars at the strip. I just saw your pics in this thread and it looks like its coming along nicely. What motor mounts are you using?

I'm using the tti mounts. I wanted to build my own, but gave up on the idea after the 2nd time we put the motor in the car we didn't think it would fit so to make it easy we decided to just buy the mounts.

have you built a cage before? I have contact info for a nhra chassis inspector. He wants me to fix a few things on my cage. Are you planning on running 9.99 or faster? I can put you in touch with him if you need me to. He is a cool guy and more than helpful for cage layout. Be careful on tbeing selection. Not all .120 wall is created equal. He said it usually come in about .109 and is not thick enough to pass inspection. (i got lucky and mine checked out at .119 to .120) I can give you a few tips on tube placement as well. Stuff I learned from him, because of the mistakes I made. (and now have to fix) anyway let me know if you need help. And we can meet up and discuss it. If your not busy on sunday and want to talk about it, let me know. I'm in AJ almost every weekend. (gotta fix my grandma's car on sat though so I'll be in north phx on sat but I'll be working on the car on sunday) talk with you soon

Awesome Demon! What transmission is behind your 6.1? Also, what did you use for the wiring harness and computer? Im getting ready to install a 6.1 in my dads demon and were trying to figure out which way is the easiest and works the best. He's running a 727 for now.

Im using a 833 4 speed. My wire harness is from HOTWIRE and i have a ebay computer with a B & G flash.

Gdemon,

I would love to see a close up picture of that mount, or if you have an extra one laying around.
I think your K member is different from a 1973 duster is that correct, for example I can not run power steering but I heard some Darts and Demons can, not sure how true that is though.

Would appreciate a pm with a picture of that mount if you have a close-up.
I like the way the motor looks in your car

Gdemon,

I would love to see a close up picture of that mount, or if you have an extra one laying around.
I think your K member is different from a 1973 duster is that correct, for example I can not run power steering but I heard some Darts and Demons can, not sure how true that is though.

Would appreciate a pm with a picture of that mount if you have a close-up.
I like the way the motor looks in your car

I dont have any pics handy but i will try and take one tonight of the proto type one i made first out of sheet metal. The new bracket is made from 1/4" alum. I basically took the A/C compressor and rasied it up so that the bottom bolt ended up in the top bolt hole if that makes any sence. You also have to cut the back lug off of the compressor for it to clear the motor mount. I also welded a tab to the motor mount bracket to help support the A/C on the top back bolt.

I dont think the K frames are all that different just the motor mount area. I dont see how you could get a power steering box in there. I'm using manifolds and have no room. I also had to change to a flaming river u joint to connect the steering box to the colmun.

You can see the tab in the one pic that is attached to the motor mount.

Attachments

• P4290027.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • resize steering.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Duane pics5-22-07 (22).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,111
  • PA310080.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,123
I am using all the factory accessories which looks a little different from your set-up. It does not look like you are using TTI motor mounts, ARE you? Maybe they are just different looking than mine.

-
Back