Life

-
Bayyum, I was going to PM this, but if anyone else who reads this has been where you have been, this may be of some help.

Been reading your "Life" post. Hope things are working out for you. Happy to see you're still posting this AM.

Like many others, I've had a few visits from the black dogs myself. I've made it to 52 years old, I understand you are still young. Don't know what the background is, but I hope you will find some resolve. Sounds like you are going to run into some of the stumbling blocks real soon and I hope you do not lose heart. The hospital saying your case was not severe enough is unfortunately typical. It's pretty difficult to convince the system that your depression is real and not just a cry for attention, so it pretty much leaves it up to yourself to ensure you stay safe. There's a lot of stigma attached to this. Reality is that it becomes a case of mental illness and we would all be better off if we could accept that without judgement. So, here's a couple strategies that I hope may help.

Antidepressants can help, but getting a doctor to prescribe can be tricky. Also, beware that they may have adverse reactions. My son received a prescription and they made him very agitated. If you want to self medicate, St. John's wort can be effective, but use with caution and seek a doctor's advice.

Depression issues can be hereditary. My mother's family has a history of depression and unfortunately, so do I and it looks like my son is also affected. Please talk to your family about this.

I mentioned self medication, but please, don't use alchohol or any recreational drugs for this purpose. The escape from reality these solutions offer may also give you the so-called courage to pull the trigger and that is not the solution. Also beware of stimulants like caffiene and energy drinks. The crash can be severe.

Avoid feeding your depression. There's plenty of angst in some music and listening to Headstones probably won't help, although they are a fine band.

It would be great if you can pull out of this and never be bothered by depression again. Unfortunately, that is seldom the case and if you prepare now, you can avoid such conflict in the future. My own experience has been that times are actually pretty good. I lost a friend to suicide several years ago and I still think of him. You wonder what went wrong and what could you have done to help. I also lost a brother in law to ALS a few years ago and believe me, my 52 year old aches and pains do not compare with a health problem like that. Be happy for what you have.

Best advice I can offer, get yourself an A body and take a nice long cruise, or pull wrenches on it until you can take that nice long cruise. Short fast 1/4 mile cruises are also cool!

Mike,
I can tell you have a lot of character and are a good person!! Its good to have you bro... The things we survive through only make us stronger and sometimes a little more hardheaded. You will learn a lot through these tough times and sometimes its hard to tell what your learning. There will be things that happen your whole life that really make 0 sense, but sometimes maybe 4-5 hours, days or years later it clicks and you figure out the lesson. Stay strong through these times and stay aroud people that make you feel good about who you are. Friends are hard to come by and you will soon find out who your real friends are. Family is better if they are around and know whats going on. FABO friends are awesome as well man so keep your head up bro :D Remember we are here for support through tough times not just car troubles.

Mike, I haven't chimed in simply because those who have, have done a great job sharing with you his or her own story on this. Sometimes the best reaction in a crowd is to keep quiet and let those with more knowledge speak.

I'm glad the title of the thread has changed, buddy, and you've come to the realization that life is our most precious gift. I'm proud of our family here for stepping up and offering to talk to you, making calls, sharing stories. You did the right thing when you reached out.

I just got done reading the whole thread. I'm glad you have decided to get some help. A lot of us have walked the same path you're on. Like you said, be honest with your therapist and listen with your whole being to him and all the members here. We want you to stick around, man. It took guts to start this thread, but it took even more guts to man up and take these guy's advice. You seem to have a great inner strength, so use it to the best of your abilities.

Mike, I'm sure happy and relieved to hear that you are seeking help, and that your attitude towards life has changed for the better. Just wait until you're as old as some of us old farts here, and you'll look back and realize you've had a great life, even with all the sheit that gets thrown at you along the way. These days, if I get up in the morning and have breath and a pulse, I KNOW it's going to be a great day. :)

Mike, I haven't chimed in simply because those who have, have done a great job sharing with you his or her own story on this. Sometimes the best reaction in a crowd is to keep quiet and let those with more knowledge speak.

I'm glad the title of the thread has changed, buddy, and you've come to the realization that life is our most precious gift. I'm proud of our family here for stepping up and offering to talk to you, making calls, sharing stories. You did the right thing when you reached out.

Mike- like Robert, I've been reading your thread, but held back because the circumstance was being handled spot on. I am blessed that I have no personal experiences to add to what's been said. But please, Mike, don't think for one minute those of us who have been silent are any less there for you, if you need it. God Bless you, and keep reaching out and up!

Very happy to hear that you´re on the way to get some help with your problems.
My wifes daughter from a previous marrige took her life 3 years ago.
We were trying to tell her that things would get better if she just would let us help her. Since then there isn´t a day without her in our thoughts.
Nothing is more painful then loosing a child.
Hang in there, we´re all here to help you both here at FABO and your family.
Take care
Swedefish/ Lenny

What a great bunch of people on this website. I knew I liked Mopar people for a reason. I am really proud to be a member here. The way you guys jumped in and possibly saved this young man's life is outstanding! :wav:

Life that's a great word.

Think about it as you go though life you will meet many people and when you do you well change their life.

You have a lot to give. The things you learn you can pass on to others and in turn you change their life and yours also.

Life also has its low points but also has its high points which the lows make a whole lot better and worth waiting for.

When you became a member here you changed our lives too. I hope we changed yours a little too.
You became a member of our family here.

Take my young friend! We're here for you.

Tom

Mike,

I saw your original post earlier this week & couldn't believe it...& then couldn't get back until yesterday, when I see things are looking better for you. The guys on this post are awesome in their encouragement. I know you've sensed their big brotherly hugs! Also, I speak for most of us in saying that as much as we like the old Mopars like my 67 cuda convertible that's being upgraded to 340 power, deep down we all know that there are things in life so much greater than cars. Things like friends & love and relationships. Our most valuable possessions are our relationships. There's a saying that love lasts forever. As much as I would like to see Jesus returning to earth in a Hemicuda followed by the angels in 440 6 pak R/Ts, the truth is none of that stuff will matter in a thousand years. What does matter is Life & Love & our relationship with God & others. In fact I know that most of us would give up our cars and projects to see your life spared. Thank God that's happening. That's my 2 cents worth. Your life is more important than all the iron that Chrysler ever produced. Along with all of the other great encouragement from your friends in this forum, I thought of 2 things. 1) in your Bible, check out the 2nd half of Romans chapter 8 to see how much God loves YOU. In fact he thinks about you all the time & your picture is in his wallet. He's WILD about YOU!! the 2nd thing is theres a recent movie called "To Save a Life" Check your local listings or get the video. This flick focuses on teanage suicide head on. I know it will touch your heart and further your recovery process. And bring a hanky or bath towell. Well, that's it. I hope we get to meet some day & would give you a big bear hug. Remember, we're counting on you! And you know, some day sombody else will come along with this same struggle & you know what? You'll put your arm around them & say "hey we're going to get through this together. I know because I did". Won't that be AWESOME. Remember, it's all about how we relate to others to love them & help them along the way.

Mike, glad to hear you decided to take some positive action. It is going to change your perspective on life. Life is a challenge of problems. The best way to approach it is to look at finding a solution and not focus on the problem.

Remember you're younger than alot of us on here and we hope that our experiences can help you see past the BS that life throws out at you.

Hello Mike, my name is Mary.
I just caught this thread and I have read the responses our FABO Family have posted. They are RIGHT... ditching out on life is not the answer. I am so happy that you are talking to someone. You are young, take a deep breath and take life one breath at a time until you can go through one minute, one hour and one day. Breathing. Then, the next breath will be easier.

Here is something I have never told ANYONE:

Been there... Done that... Yeah, I tried suicide almost 25 years ago. I thank GOD I did not succeed

"Through the veil of despair, I tried to pass.
Through the Grace of God, I was turned away.
Through the warmth of the sun, I walked through the grass,
Through my childrens smiles, I lived to love another day.
"
~Mary Catherine Gillespie :cheers:

Bayyum,
You are an asset to this site and to life in general. I'm so glad you've seen the light. Life is a fragile thing wether it be for pets or people. Fight the good fight my friend and never, ever let stuff get you down to the point of giving up. You are a fighter, not a quiter.

Now, go kick life in the ***. :)

LIFE!
Thats what its all about my friend. Just look at the number of views to this thread, you touched the lives of 4500+ people. Hang around here long enough and you'll here all kinds of life stories. Unfortunately, the most experienced and successful in the alternative aren't here to tell their story. We want you around here for a long time, so you too, can share your LIFE stories with the young guns years from now.
A couple months ago, we burried one of my life long friends, here is the quote he requested be put on the cards they hand out at memorial services;

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, Whoo Hoo What A Ride!"

Words to live by.

the most painless way is to not do it at all life can't be that bad when you fell like that just stop and think about how many others don't have it as good as you think about the mom and dad of a small child that isn't going to make it for what ever reason think about the guy you for nothing he did wrong lost his job then his home the his wife and kids i am sorry to say only some stuipd would think about doing that who know tomorrow may bring a better day and you would miss it in Nov 1996 i was put in the hosp with cancer not a good thing i didn't give up got home from that and 10 days later back in dying i had infected all inside where they took out the cancer that took until Aug, of 1997 to get fixed up from that i was hooked up to tubes to keep my insides cleaned out all the time had to give myself 2 shots a day in my belly sometimes the pain was so bad i could take it but did i give up yes some tmes i did i would lay at night and pray to die in my sleep (thank GOD he didn't do as i begged )life was bad but here it is 2010 and im still going and now im 64 years old and the grand dad of 2 little girls that love there poppie so much now im sitting here with a sad HEART think someone feels the way you do my prays are with you keep your chin up things will get better

soory if i got to long winded

-
Back