lifters solid or

-

ohnogerm

Reaction score
how do i tell what kind of lifter i need for my 318 solid or hydraulic

nope, he'll need the red. Look at his zip code.

stamped rockers on a shaft or pedestals with no adjustment take hydros. if you got nuts on your rockers, you CAN use solids, but its the cam that dictates them. 95% of 318's use hydros. if your late 318 has a weird skeleton looking thing between the lifters, you need rollers.

nope, he'll need the red. Look at his zip code.

stamped rockers on a shaft or pedestals with no adjustment take hydros. if you got nuts on your rockers, you CAN use solids, but its the cam that dictates them. 95% of 318's use hydros. if your late 318 has a weird skeleton looking thing between the lifters, you need rollers.

Just my point. How the hell do we know what he's got? No year, no nuthin. What are we workin on? Is it stock? Modified? What's it in? A dog house? I am so frikkin sick and tired of having to drag info outta people for their BS that they shouldda included in the first place.

Lemmie show you.

"Hey guys. I have a 73 Duster with a 318 and an automatic. I don't know much about it, it sounds pretty stock. I am trying to find out which lifters it has and which ones to replace them with. Can yall help?"

See? Including AS MUCH info as possible helps us help you. Without necessary info, you won't get the best answers. So please, help us help you here, ok?

ill be in kindersley next month to work on the nova hotel, just sell me the duster and you dont have to worry about it

The 318 I just pulled out of my 73 dart had a hydraulic roller cam...Don't know how that got in there! LOL

Is he asking about replacement or what style to get for a new cam?

how do i tell what kind of lifter i need for my 318 solid or hydraulic

Pull the valve cover. If the rocker arms are stamped steel and almost as wide as they are long with no adjusting screws on the pushrod end, you have a hydraulic cam and lifters. If the rockers are cast and are sorta skinny with adjusting screws on the pushrod end, you have a solid cam and lifters. Also the end of the pushrod will be a ball on hydraulic and a cup on solids. Having said that, it's not a good idea to put new lifters on a used cam. It greatly shortens the life of the cam lobe...

Stop beating on the newbie. He has been gone for 3 weeks. Just another fly-by poster ... :angel9:

Pull the valve cover. If the rocker arms are stamped steel and almost as wide as they are long with no adjusting screws on the pushrod end, you have a hydraulic cam and lifters. If the rockers are cast and are sorta skinny with adjusting screws on the pushrod end, you have a solid cam and lifters. Also the end of the pushrod will be a ball on hydraulic and a cup on solids....
Not necessarily. You can have hydraulics with adjustable rockers. I do.

On yellowbullet it would be like this.......

Hey phuckstick, hit the newbie thread before the cops show up!

Lol, Sorry Op. Just yanking your chain! haaa

Nope. But we don't know if the OP is working on an unmolested stock engine, or not. ???:???:

True, but if we tell him what a stocker should look like at least he'll know if he has something different, and maybe he'll come back with some kernel of information we can use. Doubt it will happen in this case since the flamers pounced. Pity...

-
Back