"Little different" GTX

-
I like it. The style is super cool. The simple fact is though, he could do everything with that car he's doing with the stock Mopar suspension platform. Every single bit of it. I still like it though. And why the 9"? Because it's stronger and cheaper than an 8 3/4.

It's neat I guess, but I don't see anything ground breaking.

I don't care for front flip hoods. Flip up clips, sure since they get everything out of the way, but the hood would get in my way. Don't care for the scoop, don't care the rounded flip top gas door, don't care for the "splitter" on the front with the ride height not lowered.

Honestly, it just occurred to me it looks like a piece of 2x6 lumber with wheels and a ridge (spoiler) at the trailing edge.

Would I take it? Sure, hand it over. Would "I" build it? Nah, not my style. I'm sure he's happy with it and that's all that counts.

I like it. The style is super cool. The simple fact is though, he could do everything with that car he's doing with the stock Mopar suspension platform. Every single bit of it. I still like it though. And why the 9"? Because it's stronger and cheaper than an 8 3/4.

That was my first thought, it has a wedge BBM so no good reason to run the front coilovers. Unless maybe the t-bar crossmember is hacked to run the side-exit exhaust...? I only breezed through the video I didn't watch it all the way through.

Agree with @Cuda416 on the front splitter, looks a little silly since the front bumper is still a foot off the ground.

I like the style and approach, I'd like to build something along a similar vein but with less ground clearance and retaining more factory stuff where it counts. Which is pretty much where my Duster is already headed. Not knocking the car though, clearly the guy built it the way he likes and I'm sure he's happy with it, which is all that matters.

Car is bad ***. I like the whole 60s-70s trans am style build. I have a 64 galaxie 500xl big block 4 speed that I have plans to build in that style, probably more Nascar themed but similar.

Car is bad ***. I like the whole 60s-70s trans am style build. I have a 64 galaxie 500xl big block 4 speed that I have plans to build in that style, probably more Nascar themed but similar.

Oh no doubt it's bad ***, just not "my" thing, but that doesn't matter.

btw, 64 galaxy is by far my favorite ford ever.

Thanks for posting.
I like it...because it's different. Not cookie cutter or a belly button car.
Isn't that why we're all into Mopars anyway? Gotta be different!

Never seen it around here in So Cal.

I know someone that sees the Autotopia media guy regularly at the shop he works at. He's the same media guy that got all jacked up in the Mercury Comet no brakes rear end deal.

Last edited:

I know someone that sees Autotopia media guy regularly at the shop he works at. He's the same media guy that got all jacked up in the Mercury Comet no brakes rear end deal.
Builder is in San Clemente. They filmed that whole episode in my old stomping grounds. Lake Forest

I know someone that sees Autotopia media guy regularly at the shop he works at. He's the same media guy that got all jacked up in the Mercury Comet no brakes rear end deal.
Boy I remember that mess. They are lucky they didn't kill someone

Momma always says if you ain’t got nothing nice to say- then shut up.
I will.
Think I'll do the same. I had to watch the intro to understand why they called it a 'saloon racer'. Nice fantasy. So if it floats someone's boat, cool.

Very cool looking build. Lots of trick metal work for sure, very well executed fab work.

Some of it is definitely more for looks than anything else though, and for all his talk about old style cars and being a workout to drive, that car should be a piece of cake to drive, rack and coil overs and all. Kinda question why the car is so touchy to steer, there’s no reason for it to be like that if it’s aligned properly and that too should be a piece of cake with the suspension on it. Should be rock solid and smooth, not flighty, especially with 265’s up front.

He talks about building it for a guy, so that probably explains some of the parts choices. Like there are much better brakes than those Wilwoods, but they’re still a big name. Or the drag race oil pan hanging out below the K member on a handling car, some little stuff that doesn’t make sense. Like the chin spoiler, they’re not for deflecting air into the radiator on a build like that, they’re supposed to keep air out from underneath the car to keep the nose down. And there ain’t no way in hell that car will do 185 set up like that, I don’t care what the math on his gear ratio vs rpm’s looks like, the drag from the aero on that car wouldn’t let it get near that.

Depending on the original Belvedere II factory option? If was on the base model side? I see no foul in doing a car as presented. I'm still not sure of whole purpose? But if someone loves it? My purpose matters not.

Looks like alot of time and $$ for that level of customization? And coil over certainly supply better and easier tuning. But is it really that much better than today's torsion/sway bars and spring/shock upgrades? If you all but eliminate body roll? You just spin out by taxing tires too quickly. (But I'm guessing that can be easily tuned in a modern coil over setup.)

Would be fun to drive and compare total handling capabilities. I'm guessing I'm totally wrong. Thus answering "Why do that?" Lol.

there's a lot that i like, there's a lot that i don't care for. one thing is for sure, the craftsmanship is impressive. outside the box thinking on some of the stuff is neat.

sometimes you have to go with the "big name" parts because that's what the client wants, in part because that's what they "know" and also because what a build of this type "requires".

boil it down and it's a cool big block mopar with a manual transmission, count it as a win.

I agree. While I said he COULD have done it all on the Mopar platform, he didn't and I respect how he did it. His whole idea was something totally over the top, while not looking like it on the outside. A wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak and in that sense, he nailed it. I totally like it and in fact, that look is kinda the direction I am leaning toward with Vixen. Kinda.

Very cool looking build. Lots of trick metal work for sure, very well executed fab work.

Some of it is definitely more for looks than anything else though, and for all his talk about old style cars and being a workout to drive, that car should be a piece of cake to drive, rack and coil overs and all. Kinda question why the car is so touchy to steer, there’s no reason for it to be like that if it’s aligned properly and that too should be a piece of cake with the suspension on it. Should be rock solid and smooth, not flighty, especially with 265’s up front.

He talks about building it for a guy, so that probably explains some of the parts choices. Like there are much better brakes than those Wilwoods, but they’re still a big name. Or the drag race oil pan hanging out below the K member on a handling car, some little stuff that doesn’t make sense. Like the chin spoiler, they’re not for deflecting air into the radiator on a build like that, they’re supposed to keep air out from underneath the car to keep the nose down. And there ain’t no way in hell that car will do 185 set up like that, I don’t care what the math on his gear ratio vs rpm’s looks like, the drag from the aero on that car wouldn’t let it get near that.
Yeah, how many square feet is the frontal area on a 67 B body? LOL

-
Back