Local "Find" on private property...

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
This past Sunday a gentleman pulled up in front of our house and as I turned to look at him, he pointed at the Dart which was by the curb. I walked out and he asked if I might be interested in a 1969 Road Runner with 383/4speed that had been "rode hard and put away wet", for $2500. I took his name and number and curiousity finally got the better of me and I called him the next day. Below you can see the RR and its sad shape. Needless to say I dont have the time or $$$$ for this car. What did catch our eyes (my son was with me) was the wrecked light green Dart. The guy said he would never sell the car as it saved his sons life in a car accident and he kept the car as a reminder of that day. However he did say his son would sell the interior to us. So what does everyone think both seats, rear deck area under the rear window and the panels on each side of the rear window should go for? And before you all ask, the hood scoops are going on his Satelite that is in another building and we have "dibs" on the rear wing and engine already, haha. Funny how some things sort of fall in your lap sometimes. This car is only about 12 miles from my house. He has a whole kennel of Dobermans that patrol the property as well, asking if we'd like to buy a pup thats due soon.

000_1573.jpg

000_1574.jpg

000_1572.jpg

000_1571.jpg

000_1569.jpg

000_1575.jpg

000_1578.jpg

000_1579.jpg

I wod recomend buying the runner. Console 4spd air grabber car in a rare color. Flip that sucker and put the money into something better. I doubt you would have a problem getting $4000 out of it. Also, the dart has a tuff wheel. Grab that if you can.

I agree. I'd come down there right now with a trailer and drag that thing home!!

It's interesting that the Dart has a Valiant front end on it....

I would buy that RR in a heartbeat (especally if you could verify the #s on it)! With the air cleaner, the fresh air setup would go for $1500-$2000 (maybe up to $2500 with the hood). If you weren't interested in it, pick it up and find someone that is interested in restoring it. That's a great find! I'm curious about the story behind the Dart. Sounds like he is ok with selling/removing parts off of it.

Think I would buy and flip the runner too.

The dart looks to be a 71 with a 72 scamp front end. I bet that is a rim blow wheel on that car with a crappy cover.

How long that dart been sitting? Would be worried about the seats being all dry rotted and falling apart after a short amount of use.

I might be interested in his contact info for the dobie puppy if he looked reputable...

I would buy that RR in a heartbeat (especally if you could verify the #s on it)! With the air cleaner, the fresh air setup would go for $1500-$2000 (maybe up to $2500 with the hood). If you weren't interested in it, pick it up and find someone that is interested in restoring it. That's a great find! I'm curious about the story behind the Dart. Sounds like he is ok with selling/removing parts off of it.

A few years ago before the reproduction stuff, that hood/air grabber/cleaner set up would have been a 2000-2500 piece.

Now you'd be lucky to get 1500 for all of it.

The console/4 speed set up is worth some coin too.

Those two items would make it worth buying alone.

Still not a bad deal for the whole car at $2500, maybe a little negotiating...

Looks to still have the fender tag.

Looking at the runner closer. It has power brakes meaning it's a pretty fair chance they are disks. Looks like a pretty highly optioned car. With all those options. I would assume that it's a hard top car. I bet if you cleaned it up, put some decent wheels on it and made it as presentable as possible without actually doing much to the car. You could make a pretty easy $2k proffit to put into your a-bodies.

I have close-ups of the fender tag and dash vin # that I will try and post this evening. The interior of the RR was originaly white.
So what does everyone think a good "offer" price would be for all the Darts seats, steering wheel, rear wing, and rear deck board. The seats have no rips and are pretty soft feeling with good firm padding/springs. He wants to sell them before summer of heat takes their toll. The Darts last inspection sticker was 2007 if I remember correctly. The boy walked away from an accident that the dad says would have killed him if he had been in a Kia or Hyundai.

Looks to me like that Dart has a Plymouth front clip, as in Scamp.
That RR, as mentioned before with the 4 speed console shift and Air Grabber for $2500. is a gift. The shifter handle alone sell for a good $. Judging by the front inner fenders, it appears to be structurally decent.
I say use the RR for $ for future purchases, research it thoroughly to make sure you don't end up parting a rare one.
It looks to me like the fender tag is still on it, run the #'s.
That Dart/Scamp is crumpled into the firewall...

You can buy a new speaker deck for around $50., If the wing is a Mopar original not a re-pro...,rear seats...they're not exactly hard to find. Value?

I wod recomend buying the runner. Console 4spd air grabber car in a rare color. Flip that sucker and put the money into something better. I doubt you would have a problem getting $4000 out of it. Also, the dart has a tuff wheel. Grab that if you can.

I agree get the RR and parts from the dart

i would jump on the RR at that price fix her up a bit and flip her for a profit. i am surprised that he is keeping the dart as a reminder of a accident. i had a metro[dont laugh] for a work car[great gas mileage] a woman ran a stop sign and t-boned me right in the drivers door sending me off the road and right into a utility pole also in the drivers door i dont remember the accident at all but the trooper and doctors told my wife that i should have never made it thru the accident. the last thing i would want is a reminder of that sitting there.

FYi, the front seat and the headrests on the A-body have been recovered, maybe $100 for the interior stuff, more if you can get the tuff wheel. Spoiler, factory with brackets, maybe $100? Repop, not much?

The Road Runner has power steering with a steering cooler, also has the extra factory dash speakers, I would grab this thing up, very neat car, looks to be mostly original and complete. How many Road Runners still have the hipo exhaust manifolds when you find them?? I bet the air grabber air cleaner and Magnum trim rings are in the trunk, you could very easily come out aheasd on this car!!!

You might get lucky with that Roadrunner and find an 18 spline 4 speed in it, and you could almost bet it has a suregrip in it also. There are so many items on that car that will make you $$$, for $2500.00, I'd buy it. The seats from the Dart should be no more than $25.00 for the front and $25.00 for the back, thats what I sell them for, can't get any more for them. The hood is a $250.00 item if it's factory equipment, the trunk lid without the wing would be $25.00, the wing..if it's an original wing and undamaged and uncracked would be a $200.00 piece. Thats a rim blow steering wheel on there, anywhere from $125.00-250.00 depending on the condition of the spokes, the woodgrain, how many crackas in the rim and the condition of the trim ribbon around the inside and outside. If the wheel is sweet, I've seen them go for $700.00-800.00.

Take a boatload of cash and snag whatever you can, don't say no to anything and try to deal on the items in lots. Good luck gettin' it all home!!! Geof

Wow, I never thought so many people would tell me to buy that RR. I am in the Army, dont have adequate storage or time for such an undertaking. Wish I did, but I just dont. Never know when I might have to move either which poses another set of headaches. Here are the fender tag and VIN from the dash. Maybe someone can decipher these. I could see the ground through the front passenger floorboard. The airgrabber sections themselves had some rust holes on the underside big enough to put 2 fingers through. The car had 1984 inspection stickers. It also has what appears to be a correct for the time, bumper/frame mounted hitch on the rear. Rotted air-shocks and a dual exhaust could be seen. The owner said he couldn't get the trunk open. To be honest, I was afriad to get inside or under the car too much for fear of what might slither out and bite!

Fender TAG for RR.jpg

Vin # for RR.jpg

"Thats a rim blow steering wheel on there, anywhere from $125.00-250.00 depending on the condition of the spokes, the woodgrain, how many crackas in the rim and the condition of the trim ribbon around the inside and outside. If the wheel is sweet, I've seen them go for $700.00-800.00."
The steering wheel in the Dart caught my eye as well but it has what appears to be a cheap slip-on cover around the grip area. I don't believe he knows what he has there. The aluminum of the spokes looked real good though. I know the seats have been redone, but they sure beat the crap out of what we have which are dried out, ripped, and you sink to the floor when you sit down on them.

A36 is the performance axle package...3:55 suregrip with HD axle, max cooling with 7 blade fan, Hemi suspension, R22...AM stereo 8 track, E63...383, 335HP, D21...4 speed, N96 is the fresh air hood, M is mouldings, C55 is the bucket seats, C16 is the console with woodgrain, A37 is a taxi package, J25 is 3 speed/ variable speed wipers, RM21H9=...R= roadrunner, M=medium trim level, 21=2 door post, H=383, 9 is the year...1969, E is the plant of manufacture, L.A, the last 6 digits are the production sequence number. Geof

wow!That RR is for SURE worth that asking price and to be honest is VERY RESTORABLE and looks to be complete!Someone buy that gem fast if he dont.lol
Save that car!hurry hurry,someone load that car on a trailer and take it home.

That is a crazy color combo if I've ever seen one

Probably Green with a Silver interior

Has an axle package too.

A87 is the RR decor package.

Wonder if she looked something like this back in her prime.This is just a pic I Googled from the net.But this one looks more like the color it had
p1.4.jpg

-
Back