Long! Ford Explorer! Related DD help.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
My go to site for my explorer seems to be down. Having a starting issue! Get in hit the key and clicks once. Checked all cables and connections and cleaned posts. The battery that was in it I believe is bad. Ive tried another Known good battery and experieced same issue. I can tap on the starter several times and it will fire up with the good battery wont with the weak one. Thinking I have 2 issues a battery that's going bad and starter that is bad. I noticed the other day i had to get a jump start and it wouldnt start till i tapped with a hammer till i got the rapid click. Then jump it. Any help or advice?

You could check the battery cable connections especially the ground cable at the block but... your best bet is buy a starter.
The clowns at part stores cant check the starter properly. My nephew took his starter off and put it back 3 times because 3 different part stores said it was good. When he called me I took the starter off again for him and stuck the jumper cables to it right there in front of the Exploder. The starter ran. He says, "So its good" I said "No its not. This little bugger should start with so much torque it would nearly roll itself over. What we see here is a like fan motor, not a engine turner'. New starter, end of story.

You could check the battery cable connections especially the ground cable at the block but... your best bet is buy a starter.
The clowns at part stores cant check the starter properly. My nephew took his starter off and put it back 3 times because 3 different part stores said it was good. When he called me I took the starter off again for him and stuck the jumper cables to it right there in front of the Exploder. The starter ran. He says, "So its good" I said "No its not. This little bugger should start with so much torque it would nearly roll itself over. What we see here is a like fan motor, not a engine turner'. New starter, end of story.

Not a bad idea wont take much to clean the ground down below. Seems I have starter trouble about once a year around this time. Ill give it a shot. And yes I do know just cuz it spins dont mean its right. There is a point where they draw too much. Thanks Redfish! gives me something else to try.

Usually when that happens it is a bad spot on the starter armature. Amazingly, similar to engines themselves, electric motors often stop in the same spot.

OK , once a year can be related to the source/quality of reman'd starters. Poor connections can shorten their life though.
Ford would place the toothed washer against the block with wire lug between washer and bolt head.
Remove the bolt and wire brush its threads, and both sides of the copper lug, and wire brush away the black paint around the bolt hole. Lug against block, toothed washer between lug and bolt head.

Sounds like the starter is plum worn out, remove the starter and I bet the shaft will wiggle side ways, shaft bearings or shaft is worn out.
I have jumped under a few car/trucks with a hammer (in park/emergency brake) on
And hollered try it know and hold the key on while I beat on the starter ..
Told them to drive it home and do not shut it off!! get a new starter :glasses7:

OK , once a year can be related to the source/quality of reman'd starters. Poor connections can shorten their life though.
Ford would place the toothed washer against the block with wire lug between washer and bolt head.
Remove the bolt and wire brush its threads, and both sides of the copper lug, and wire brush away the black paint around the bolt hole. Lug against block, toothed washer between lug and bolt head.

Thank you for this info, I have beat the dog water out of a farmers chevy to get it to start not long ago, I asked him if I could take the time to remove it and replace it, Heck Yea Mr Haynny!! (my nick name to some folks ) go for it he said, I bet it had a 1/4'' wiggle on the shaft :D

This just happened to me 2 weekends ago,right in the stageing lanes.Got a hammer,held the key on and away I went.My friend brought me a new mini starter the next morning.

I figured it was the starter. But I still believe the battery is bad as well. Its only showing about 11.5v and in about 30s of holding the meter on it I can watch it dive below 10v. The good battery i used to rule out the battery is from the Scamp. Ill source a good used starter and move on.

The voltage means nothing if you don't know "under what conditions" you are getting that voltage

Low voltage AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS and I'm not talking about on the battery terminal clamps, I'm saying with the meter stabbed directly into the battery POST

1--can be a discharged battery, or one going bad

2--can be a hell of a lot of current being drawn by the starter or whatever, or just a "cheap" low current output battery

============================================

Low voltage right at the starter could be

1--again battery, which is why you must measure battery voltage, CABLE voltage and figure voltage drop, and figure "is this at the starter, through the cables, or at the battery

2--If battery v is a little higher but starter is low, could be terminal clamps, internal corrosion inside cables, or other bad connections. or

3--a hell of a lot of current being drawn by the starter, in this case the battery is new, 'up' and can put out enough current that the voltage does not drop

==============================

I've preached this before. You can either throw parts at it all day, and if it's cheaper to buy parts than troubleshoot, that's OK. Otherwise, scare up what is known as a "carbon pile" tester and someone who knows how to use it

What you are looking at below ( a random pic I found) is that the battery is being dragged down to 10 v AT SEVEN HUNDRED AMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carbon-pile-tester.jpg

Have the battery load tested for free at an auto parts. They are quite expensive these days. Must be a large demand for lead.

Is it an older one that still used a relay? Don't know what year they changed but our old one had the old Ford style starter....

-
Back