Longer offset shackles?

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
I’ve got the offset shackles on my demon but wondering if they make longer rear offsets to raise the back a bit? Thanks

The term "long shackles" (extended) brings back non-fond memories. Juz sayin you don't see any on my old car from "back then," do ya? (Taken in 73 or 74)

70RR.jpg

I’ve got the offset shackles on my demon but wondering if they make longer rear offsets to raise the back a bit? Thanks
Take them to a good welder and they can be as long as you want. If the joint is beveled correctly, there shouldn't be an issue with strength.
Or, get the springs re-arched or add a helper leaf.

Ya' could check with a local machine shop and have 'em make a set out of flat stock. Way back, we had Raboine bend a set for us.
Maybe Jakes on Lake St.

I wouldn't use shackles to raise a car. It puts more stress on the leaf springs and can ultimately lead to them bending backwards. I've seen it on a lot of older hot rods with long shackles. The best way to raise one is a spring with more arch, like the SS springs, for example.

I
I wouldn't use shackles to raise a car. It puts more stress on the leaf springs and can ultimately lead to them bending backwards. I've seen it on a lot of older hot rods with long shackles. The best way to raise one is a spring with more arch, like the SS springs, for example.
i have a pair of SS springs on it now probably 30/40 years old. Seems to not have much of an arch, I’d like to raise it about an inch. Shackles are almost straight up and down. 28” drag radials on it

7595118C-87EB-42FC-9366-CAF71737C4E7.jpeg

B51F2B97-C1AB-42A4-9D7C-C2CBB9562BB4.jpeg

3D740FFD-86DF-427D-AFB0-F0006EB69145.jpeg

Yeah if those are 28” tires with super stock springs and that’s your ride height your springs are toast.

As stated, get a pair machined just to length
I always thought the unused part hanging down did not look
right, not neat or tidy

Just be aware that an extra inch of shackle length, MIGHT get you an extra 1/4" of height.
As above, if new ss springs are not in the cards, I would use a quality air shock. Well under 50 psi should get you the inch your looking for. (And if you don't like it that high, you could adjust the pressure to get the exact lift you want).

If air shocks raise your ride height they’re supporting weight that the shock mounts were never intended to carry. Air shocks are a band aid and pumping them up to raise the ride height will just destroy your shock mounts over time and result in lousy handling all the time.

Do it right and spend your money once on new springs. Or spend money on band aids, and then spend more money repairing the stuff the band aids will break in addition to spending the money to do it right later anyway.

72bluNblu knows what he's talking about, I can personally attest to that.
I wouldn't have been able to CORRECTLY set my suspension up without his knowledge

Also agree with 72bluNblu. I'm all for 70's and 80's speed parts and styling but the long shackles were a bandaid at best. Call Mancini and they will recommend the correct SS spring # for your application.

-
Back