LOOK!!! What not to give your son at 17

-
It doesn't necessary have to be a fast car with built motor. My friends son at 17 rolled a Isuzu Rodeo. If you saw the vehicle you would think someone had got killed in it. He was ok however.

That is hard to see/hear......not just because such a nice car was ruined but because of what happened to those involved.

its a shame and sad.

I have to admit I was not the "smartest" driver growing up but I still respected the power, my first car was a 400 hp Z28 t-top camaro.

I did burnouts from stop sign to stop sign and was constantly changing tires and I pushed it passed 100 mph a few times aswell, sideways on corners, rev the piss out of it when I seen "competition around" and so on.

I can say however that if my town had a drag strip close by that I most likely would not have been so ballsy with my driving.

BUT I did however learn how to handle and respect the power.

But , I am sure alot of us all had a little fun with our rides when we were young.

I don't drive with as much "balls" as I use to anymore.....I drive slower and I am more cautious.....not to mention ...tires are expensive LOL.

I suggest to anyone,young or old.....as Memike would say "keep it neat on the street" ......save the fast paced stuff for the track.

Be smart and safe.....in these old cars you can look cool going 5 mph......but imagine how dumb you would look if you were going 25 mph reved out and tires spinning and you lose it and spin out into someones mailbox or something! lol

WOW
Thats sucks, my deepest regards to the family.
Remember that can happen to anyone at any age if do not respect the power and older technogly in the 70's era mussle cars.

Guys and gals of all ages respect your rides so u don't get killed.

your story brought tears to my eyes. i m very sorry for your loss. and you are 100% correct about giving a kid even a 5.0 mustang. some rich kids were getting these and 4 out of 5 wrecked within 2 weeks. mostly spun out because of the limited slip.hell alot of adults cant even handle power
mikeView attachment 178570

Sorry to hear of stuff like this, Parents oughta know better, when kids that age get friends in their car they`ll tend to show off, or peer pressure? I told both my boys,you`ll wreck your first car. They did. luckily they come out ok. When I first started driveing, Moms old rambler, 15 with permit, I found out how easy it was to do a 180 around a wet turn, that scared me and petrified a girl I was letting ride along to school. She started takeing the bus. Couple years later, I bought my first car, A 55 with a pretty spiffy 327. I was afraid of that car8) I learned early how expensive transportation was and could`nt afford to rip up my rides. condolance`s to the family.

I don't think giving a high HP car to a teen is a big deal- it's teaching them to respect what a car can do to you, One of my classmates in high school was killed in a subaru when he lost control of it at 105mph, it had a 4 cyl boxer with 100hp at best- it looked similar to the Demon in the pics that were in the newspaper.

When I was 16-18 I had a Duster with a 360 making about 375-400hp and never put as much as a scratch on it, there were 12-15 kids in my school that had old cars or newer 5.0's or Z28's and I can't think of any of them being in accidents or other mishaps that were their fault, my friend Pete got in an accident with his Comet but it was because he got hit by a Jeep Cherokee with 7 kids in it that ran a stop sign.

One of the guys with the 5.0 had it running in drag radial a few years ago, low 7's @180mph and it was the same car he drove to school in 95-97.

I can't see the pictures....

Here on long island we once had 45 racing facilities.

We now have 1 1/4 mile oval.

We also have maybe the largest motorsports community in the US.

We also have a very high fatality rate among new and young drivers......

The reason for these high fatality rates are a few things

1. the states simple licensing requirements
2. the drivers ed classes
3. the lack of facility to properly train kids to drive.

Since the loss of our last drag strip and road course i had started the Long Island Motorsports Association or L.I.M.A. www.limotorsports.org

What we do is bring the importance of a need for motorsports facilities and how they help a community
1. they slow street racing
2. they are a economic generator for the area
3. off hours they can be used for drivers ed classes and save lives

Starting a _________ motorsports association in your area and giving kids the opportunity to have a place to learn to really drive, understand what happens with cars and suvs in different weather conditions, and how speed effects vehicles will leave them less likely to push issues as you see in this story here has shown...

Wouldn't it have been great for this kid to have his GSS at a road course, where he could have slid off the track and YOU being a instructor can lean over and say, "look at me, if this happened on ________ road you just killed yourself, and possibly someone else" those words right there to a young impressionable kid that thinks there Dale Earnhardt or Michael Schumacher are extremely powerful.

Unfortunately i see and hear this all the time in my area...

Even more unfortunate is we have a builder and property in a town here, 755 acres, but we have a stupid, bigoted town board that fails to see the importance and need for such a facility....

If you have this in your area now, start something to get the kids in drivers ed, start something to protect your track so they don't become like our area....

We had 45, we now have 1..... We have to many deaths do to street racing and improperly taught kids..

My first and second cars were both 35hp Hondas. Then Dad sinned and bought me a 340 powered '65 Barracuda but kept the title. He told me straight up, "I pay the insurance, you pay for the gas. Any speeding ticket you get will be your last in that car." He also told me "keep your bicycle". I never got a speeding ticket in that car...Dont know what my kids first car will be, either a slant 6 A or a VW Bus, air cooled of course.

i cannot see what the op had put up. anyone else?

-
Back