Lookin for a recipe!!

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Ok guys Im plannin on buildin a BB for my pullin truck, I know its not A-Body but still mopar. I need to build somethin round 412CI but no more then that. So technically I can use a BB but limited to 400CI because of the rules. I need to build somethin with balls of torque, but have to run a dual plane intake and must use iron heads. I currently hav a BB 400 (406) but lookin for alittle more. Id like to be around 600-650HP with as much torque I can get. Any help would be greatly appteciated

so are you limited to 412" or 400"? anyway put as much compression in it as possible, use a new forged crank, the lightest pistons you can find, aluminum rods, biggest valves the fit and call a cam manufacture for a roller cam.

so are you limited to 412" or 400"? anyway put as much compression in it as possible, use a new forged crank, the lightest pistons you can find, aluminum rods, biggest valves the fit and call a cam manufacture for a roller cam.

412 is CI max. But 400 would be biggest BB I can use cause the 413 is 1 CI too big :(

Well if you are serious about torque and you aren't afraid to open the pocketbook, you use a 413 block and offset grind the crank to 3.735" stroke with Chevy 2.20" rod journal size, use a custom piston in standard bore and you have 412ci. Probably best to go a little shorter in stroke to CYA in the cubic inch maximum.

But in any case you better find somebody who is really good with iron heads if you want around 1.6 hp/ci from your build.

But in any case you better find somebody who is really good with iron heads if you want around 1.6 hp/ci from your build.[/QUOTE]

I was tryin to look for a set of Indy 440-C heads or I seen MP has a stage III Max wedge iron head?

No input, but would like to see some pictures of your pulling truck.

Well I do have my current 400 plus a spare block. But I seen a 361 for sale for $100? Can you make anything out of a 361??

Yes you could because it can use any stroker crank for any big block BUT Pistons will be a custom order. $$$! You also have a small bore on this engine so valve sizes are an issue... Not to big.

I liked the video. The max wedge sized Indy ports would seem
a good advantage. Do the ford guys have as good of a iron head.
Just wondering what your competition would be.
That looks like fun.

You're welcome and thanks. But a lot of the chevy and ford guys have aftermarket iron heads. My buddy's runnin a 427SB Chev with Motown block and fully ported Motown heads. Now he hasn't got caught yet but its a matter of time because he usually places 1st everyplace we pull less he breaks or screws up, and guys are startin to throw up a *****. Now he did show me the dyno and his SB was up round 700HP and alil over 600 torque. Reality is his truck is a HO truck not a street truck. My 2nd and final pull this year I was only 3 feet behind him cuz he was over powered but still cool that my 3,500ish dollar engine got that close to his 12,000+ engine

With all the drag racers using alum heads for weight,, there should be some good used iron heads for sale.

that's what I thought so that leaves me with the BIG question.....Whats my other option for a Aftermarket iron head if there is one?

I think the Mopar Performance Stage V iron cylinder head is still available, it is very much like the 906 but with a better exhaust. If you run the Max Wedge iron head you must find a dual plane intake of Max Wedge size for a 383/400 block. I can't think of one offhand.

Read this carefully, http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?64775-Pop-s-440-is-near-ready-to-dyno&highlight=Pop%27s+440 there is a great deal of information on what kind of horsepower you can get with a small flat tappet hydraulic camshaft and the factory 346 iron head and a dual plane Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The Stage V or the 906 is capable of 25-40 cfm more than the 346. Problem being, the Stage V or 906, fully prepared to produce those flows, will cost you as much as your present engine.

here is a wild idea. find a 1959 windser 383 that has the 3.75 stroke with the small bore. OR make one your self. use reg 413 crank in a reg 383 block. by grinding the crank OR boreing the 383 block crank main bores. OR take reg 440 and sleeve the cyl bores it to 400. the walls will be so thick you will not blow them out.

here is a wild idea. find a 1959 windser 383 that has the 3.75 stroke with the small bore. OR make one your self. use reg 413 crank in a reg 383 block. by grinding the crank OR boreing the 383 block crank main bores. OR take reg 440 and sleeve the cyl bores it to 400. the walls will be so thick you will not blow them out.

umm not sure what your getting at..... also 400s have a bigger bore then the 440???

start looking around for the 440-1c heads on the used parts market. you won't find a better flowing iron head any where. use the 400 block at .060" (should be a 409" motor)over as the bore is larger and the heads will flow better.

can't edit that post today for some reason. disregard that .030" over statement. a '060" 400 would be a 409" motor if i'm thinking correctly.

well it did edit.

I have a 383 steel crank that is off set ground to 3.450 with 2.2 chevy throws
in 30 over 400 is 415 ci but in a 383 ?
Not using it might work for you?

Heres my first pull of the year since converting it to 4x4

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=jon firestone&sm=1

Seen the video......... was this "pull" at the Somerset County Fairgrounds in Meyersdale, PA??????

I have to go watch the video to see it as thats where I grew up!

EDIT:
To answer your question on does a 400 have a larger bore then a 440. YES! The 400 B motor had the largest bore of ANY "stock" Mopar B block. The 440 isn't a B block tho, its a RB block.....A bit different BUT the heads are the same only the intake are different! Which would allow you to use the RB heads from a 440, I'd look into seeing what Stage 5 might have for low dollar stuff, and go with whatever they can help you with their. BUT I'm not sure I think all their heads are aluminum, not Cast iron! I'm not 100% familiar with them....BUT the guys chip in here, but wouldn't the 906 heads be a good flowing head for this application? No?

The 400 block has some thick cylinder walls and if you go as said with a B block 400 and a B block 383 crank, the crank on both engines is the same they're both "B" block mopar engines! He'dhave to go with a custom grind to get more stroke on that 400... if he bored it .060 over it be the following:

Bore = 4.4
Stroke = 3.375
Over Bore = .060
Over Stroke =
Cylinders = 8
Cubic Inches = 410.543327971114
Litres = 6.72768182441234

Next question would be, what is the intake specs they allow? Try the highest carb you can, and for GODS sake put some good flowing headers on whatever motor you have planned to use!

-
Back