Looking for a 71 Dodge Dart Chrome Side Trim?

-

DartGRRRL

Reaction score
Hi All! I just bought a 71 Dodge Dart, 318 :D It's pretty cute though I'm a sucker for those chrome side trims--is that even the correct tech term?--you see on most Swingers. Does anyone know where I can get them? And are they easy to afix? Many Thanks!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJEQFGRnJbcikBRlm50mt0g~~_4.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 202
i have a set ....if your talking about the one middle of the panels all the way down the side of the car with the little rubber strip in the middle.

Through '71, they attached with clips that went through holes in the body. I doubt you want to drill holes in the body, at least I hope not. Starting in '72, it was affixed with glue, so no holes. I'm sorry I don't remember where to find the generic stuff, but you can get something very similar to original in rolls to put on there with adhesive.

If it were me, I'd leave it as is. I understand you like the trim though. That's a beautiful Dart. Is that black with black top and black interior. OMG, holy crap, that's really a nice car!

Starting in '72, it was affixed with glue, so no holes.

Mr. 72Dodge is correct that in 72+ it was glued on (the yellow car is a 72).....but for 70 and 71 they had the stud gun nubbys with a plastic clip.

piece of cake to put the nubbys on if you have a stud gun or a body shop can do it piece of cake......in that case you are looking at grinding paint.

i have two cars with the 70/1 style trim so i can make you a complete set worth the clips and trim if you want ....just PM me. :toothy9:

Attachments

• CIMG2680.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 167
  • CIMG2681.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 268
  • CIMG2682.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG2683.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 168
Yes, some of them are nubs, but some are holes too. You will find that on '71-down, it was a combination of holes and nubs. I can show you pics of doors and fender with both holes and nubs if it helps. If they can be attached with all nubs, that's great!

Yes, some of them are nubs, but some are holes too. You will find that on '71-down, it was a combination of holes and nubs. I can show you pics of doors and fender with both holes and nubs if it helps. If they can be attached with all nubs, that's great!

yes you are correct ...on the ends are bolt through clips that reqiure a hole to prevent the trim from going into peel mode......but still would not be all that hard if the trim is something someone really wants.

and i have all the clips even the bolt through ones ....most of the trim is still on these cars i have.

Maybe some were different, but I have 3 '70 doors here and 2 '70 fenders. The doors each have seven holes. The fenders each have 6 holes, plus the one in the end cap. Maybe '71 was different, or maybe some cars were different, but I know for a fact that at least some were all holes on the doors and fenders.

Now, this is just academic to this discussion, because if one was adding them, they could certainly use studs instead I would think, that's a good plan.

I'm downloading the pics from my camera right now, will see if I can post them.

Maybe some were different, but I have 3 '70 doors here and 2 '70 fenders. The doors each have seven holes. The fenders each have 6 holes, plus the one in the end cap. Maybe '71 was different, or maybe some cars were different, but I know for a fact that at least some were all holes on the doors and fenders.

Now, this is just academic to this discussion, because if one was adding them, they could certainly use studs instead I would think, that's a good plan.

I'm downloading the pics from my camera right now, will see if I can post them.

ok then your on to something ....70 might be different. i assumed based on the outside of the trim being the same ...but either way the blue car in the pics is a 71 and thats what the OP needs

I totally agree. It doesn't make any difference what the one the OP has is, because since it has smooth sides now, she has several options to attach. Personally, I would not drill or add any studs and just use the 72-up adhesive style, but if one didn't want to do that, studs is definitely better than drilling holes, so thanks for pointing that out!

Just for completeness, I'll post pics in a few, have a screaming child right now! :)

I totally agree. It doesn't make any difference what the one the OP has is, because since it has smooth sides now, she has several options to attach. Personally, I would not drill or add any studs and just use the 72-up adhesive style, but if one didn't want to do that, studs is definitely better than drilling holes, so thanks for pointing that out!

Just for completeness, I'll post pics in a few, have a screaming child right now! :)

very cool ....you learn something new everyday.....plus your info will help me ....when i said above that i have two cars worth the trim .....i have one 70 and one 71 .......but the 70 i have never had any trim off the car so i dont really know whats behind it ........so maybe we can determine together if the the 70 and 71 trim will interchange despite differences in mounting methods :D

OK, so below are 2 pics of one of the doors that was definitely 70. 7 holes on each, no studs. The last pic is a bad picture of a 70 fender. Six holes plus the one in the end cap, so seven holes total. The quarters on a 70 were something like one stud after the door, then the rest holes... something like that, I don't remember for sure, but it was mostly holes, but at least one stud like you're showing.

Yes, this is very interesting to me too, because I always thought they were all the same until '72 when they went to the adhesive system. Learning new things is good! This makes me like '71's even more, because of fewer holes to fill in! Lack of any holes or studs is actually one of the things I like about the '72 specifically.

The way I remember the 70 attaching with the plastic clips is that it would be the same trim either way, because the plastic clips that attach to the studs would attach to the trim in the same way that the clips that go through the holes would. The trim itself just has the "rails" on the inside that clip onto one or the other. This is pure conjecture on my part though, since I've never compared 70 trim to 71 trim (obviously).

No matter what though, for DartGRRRL's Dart (is it blue or black, now I'm really wondering!) I'd strongly suggest adhesive trim if one were to put trim on it. I'd always use the least intrusive method. At least that way, there's a chance at not damaging the paint if one were to remove the trim later, whereas with drilling holes or attaching studs, it's 100% guaranteed that the paint is ruined there. Keep in mind, most people want to go the opposite way, they want to REMOVE the trim, not add it. No judgement here, I like the trim on a grocery getter type Dart, but on a cruise night or muscle Dart, definitely no trim. I would not in ANY case drill holes or add studs to that beautiful car when there's no need to.

That is such a nice car... and in Chicago! I wish I had found and bought that one! Very jealous DartGRRRL!

img1865smaller.jpg
[/URL]

img1866smaller.jpg
[/URL]

img1867smaller.jpg
[/URL]

Hi All! I just bought a 71 Dodge Dart, 318 :D It's pretty cute though I'm a sucker for those chrome side trims--is that even the correct tech term?--you see on most Swingers. Does anyone know where I can get them? And are they easy to afix? Many Thanks!

Thats weird...Most cant rip the side molding off quick enough.
Your car looks great/better without it.

I know, me too. But a lot of the desire to remove them comes from the fact that they are never really nice.....and having them redone to MAKE them really nice tends to be very pricey.

If they were available new, and reasonably priced, I might want it on my car. Not my hot rod A-body, but a daily driver.

That's a beautiful Dart. Is that black with black top and black interior. OMG, holy crap, that's really a nice car!

Uh huh tripple black. When I'm in it I feel smug :glasses7:

Your car looks great/better without it.

I like having my contours defined, that's my only defense. I may be swayed to keep it as it is though, especially if it's too finicky a job....

Personally, I would not drill or add any studs and just use the 72-up adhesive style, but if one didn't want to do that, studs is definitely better than drilling holes, so thanks for pointing that out!

Yes that sounds the best method––I don't want to any holes anywhere. I should have posted an image––here's what I'm looking for (not ones with the rubber in them):

Attachments

• 396831_14700529_1972_Dodge_Dart.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 132
That is such a nice car... and in Chicago! I wish I had found and bought that one! Very jealous DartGRRRL!

Thank you––I bought it in South Carolina and had to drive it all the way back up. The original owner had it for 25+ years and was a woman too. I'm carrying on its female driver tradition ;)

Uh huh tripple black. When I'm in it I feel smug :glasses7:

here's what I'm looking for (not ones with the rubber in them):

You should feel smug driving that :)

Oh this is totally different than what I (and I think everyone else) was thinking. I'm not 100% sure from that pic, but I believe that's just pinstriping. You could have it painted or use the fine line pinstriping tape. I don't know that I'd do either of those to your car either, but neither one would do any serious damage to the car. I think it might look good though, set off all the black I guess.

Triple black... wow :glasses7:

You want to do something to make that car look sick ! (Sick is good).
Put a matt black bumble bee stripe on it.

I watched that car on Ebay and really wanted it........ Glad it went to a nice home. Please leave the side moulding off of it. That car does not need it at all IMO.

If you need more bling on the side, put on a silver pinstripe along that edge and/or some wheel opening moulding and/or rocker moulding.

Very nice car.....

-
Back