Losing weight

-
For some reason I like body color bumpers on a 67-69 dart but not on a 70-72. Mine is also wearing its original paint and kind of a sleeper so I have to go chrome

REally depends on the build concept. My current 69 Gt would look dumb with painted bumpers. The other one I posted looked good painted

I just took out the rear window and deck lid.
Window and gasket was 24 lbs.
Deck lid was 42 lbs.
Grand total of 260 lbs. out.

Keep the door panels. The inner door structure has plenty of exposed edges and in a wreck....you don't want that next to you.

How well does a lexan windshield hold up visibility wise? Can you use products like rain x on it? Glare? Bow, bend or pop out at speed? Brand preference? Thanks!

How well does a lexan windshield hold up visibility wise? Can you use products like rain x on it? Glare? Bow, bend or pop out at speed? Brand preference? Thanks!
I've decided not to go with scratch resistant stuff.
You have to be careful no matter what. I'm using 3/16" for the windshield with plenty of screws. The rest will be 1/8".

I've decided not to go with scratch resistant stuff.
You have to be careful no matter what. I'm using 3/16" for the windshield with plenty of screws. The rest will be 1/8".
My side windows were made years ago from 1/8 lexan.
If I had to do it again I would go with 3/16. Too thin at 1/8 and they look wavy. Just my opinion.

My chassis fabricator tells me that a lexan windshield is highly flammable if you ever have a fire. He advised again doing the windshield. He says all others are ok. Just an FYI/ imho. Lol

I thought NHRA required 1/4 for windshield and 1/8 is ok for the rest.

A few doors down is a acrylic shop and the guy quoted me like 65 for the front and 100 for the 1/8th inch stuff.
That's scratch resistant.
Although he did say it will still scratch easy.

I'm gonna go with one of these in my car. I dont like fire.

(H) SPA AFFF Fire Suppression System - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

I thought NHRA required 1/4 for windshield and 1/8 is ok for the rest.

A few doors down is a acrylic shop and the guy quoted me like 65 for the front and 100 for the 1/8th inch stuff.
That's scratch resistant.
Although he did say it will still scratch easy.

I'm gonna go with one of these in my car. I dont like fire.

(H) SPA AFFF Fire Suppression System - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
I think NHRA only allows the fe36 systems now. That is the replacement for Halon. But fire system is a good idea.
Thinking about getting one myself.

My chassis fabricator tells me that a lexan windshield is highly flammable if you ever have a fire. He advised again doing the windshield. He says all others are ok. Just an FYI/ imho. Lol

When I called the lexan company they advised lexan for the rear window and rear seat windows. They said to pin the rear side windows or remove the handles.

They said you could get away with the front window BUT to use rain x and not used the wipers. They said other than full race applications to always use street weight (thicker) lexan.

Some stuff came in today.
Aluminum bumper brackets and aluminum bolts, glass bumper and kirkey seat with brackets and padded cover.
I just added a whopping 18.5 lbs. back onto the car.

20181211_124609.jpg

20181211_124548.jpg

Some stuff came in today.
Aluminum bumper brackets and aluminum bolts, glass bumper and kirkey seat with brackets and padded cover.
I just added a whopping 18.5 lbs. back onto the car.

View attachment 1715260808

View attachment 1715260809

Did you get aluminum bolts for the lingenfelter bumper brackets?
He did not have those big bolts in aluminum when I bought mine.
Does he have them now? That's a chunk of weight.

I've got the same seat. You'll love it, except when you need to back up...

I've got the same seat. You'll love it, except when you need to back up...
Actually I may have misunderstood which bolts he was referring too.
I would like to find the bolts that fasten the bracket to the frame in aluminum. Good chunk of weight there.
I have that seat too lol.

I have the aluminum carriage bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets, not the ones that bolt to the frame.

I’m looking at the antigravity atx20 lithium battery < 5lbs

Any idea of the weight savings on one?
Maybe next year on that.
No not sure on the weight savings, but it is light.
The vfn does not use a dash pad, it is sort of incorporated into the structure. So that is probably where a lot of the savings are.

Foam around the bar covered with vinyl wrap held on with velcro.
Did you make that or buy it. I was going to just use a Jerry Bickell carbon fiber tube on that bar as the Kirkey seat will not let your leg hit the bar in a crash I think lol.

-
Back