Lug pattern help.

-

pachink13

Reaction score
I searched everywhere so if I missed it just point me to the link.

I bought a bitchin 8 3/4 rear end and installed it. I was so stoked I missed the fact that I have 14inch 5 lug rallye rims, and now they don't fit the 4 lug pattern obviously. I can't find 4 lug to 5 lug adapters anywhere online.

I don't have the money for new axles or used ones, so is there some kind of adapter\spacer thing that exsits so I can have matching rims all the way around and finally get this thing on huge road?

The car is pretty painful looking already with all the body work on it and the last thing I want to look at every day is different rims on the back than the ones on the front.

i believe you should have said the 4 inch bolt pattern instead of the 4 lug pattern. And the wheels you have are presumably the larger 4 1/2 pattern. I hope it is not a 4 lug rearend {that could not be a mopar rear with 4 lugs} but then again, some ford rears kinda look like mopar rears [like an 8 inch rear] and some did have the 4 LUG patterns. Any way, just for temporary, I would just find some wheel that fit for now to the pattern that you have. this will at least get the car on the road. then save up for the better axles or have the new pattern drilled to your axles AND drums.

lets say for sake of argument he means 4 inch
a set of steelies can be had for next to nothing

I would suggest you got through the "wheels and hubcaps for sale" section and look for something labelled "SBP" (small bolt pattern)

Ima guessing that's what he means, but that isn't what he wrote so I was curious.

There is a set of adapters for sale here, or there was, that would fix him up temporarily, but the OP needs to come back, lol.

Hold on i might be completely wrong in left field here. Let me look at it and measure everything myself and see if Im just wasting everybody's time.

My buddy helping me called me and told me this and I'm not near the car right now so I must have misheard him. Sorry guys

I'll get back to you as soon as I find out myself.

Hold on i might be completely wrong in left field here. Let me look at it and measure everything myself and see if Im just wasting everybody's time.

My buddy helping me called me and told me this and I'm not near the car right now so I must have miss heard him. Sorry guys

I'll get back to you as soon as I find out myself.

So are you talking about lug pattern size? As in small bolt pattern to big bolt pattern?

If you measure here's a chart so you can be sure.

Attachments

• tech-boltcircle.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 375
Thanks ya I found how to measure the lugs online. Helpful cause I would've done it wrong without it. My buddy had a typo and sent 4x4 and really confused me. Lol

Turns out I have lbp in front and sbp in the back.

Any cheap way to fix the rears so I can have all my rally rims?

I'm running really low on budget money and I still have to get a drive line resized, rebuild the all the steering, and order a manual valve body cause I tore out and don't wanna deal with all the kick down linkage.

Any cheap way to fix the rears so I can have all my rally rims?

Is it an A body rear?

Anywho, either new axles, or you can send them to Moser and they can re-drill them to larger bolt pattern provided there is enough meat left (as in they haven't been messed with).

I think it's 65 bucks for the pair, plus shipping both ways.

Or you can use adapters. I don't like them but some folks use them.

There was a pair here for sale a week or so ago.

I'm in SoCal, what's this moser you speak of? I'd rather avoid spacers. They seem expensive anyways.

Indiana.

I would call them and ask them what they need in regards to the measurement on the axle end. They will tell you if it's enough or not. I don't like the spacers myself, because they can crack. I ran a pair of them about 35 years ago and mine cracked, haven't used them since.

http://www.moserengineering.com/

I am only guessing on shipping, but probably 50 bucks each way maybe. And another 65 (pair) for them to re-drill them.

I don't know if there is anyone closer to you, maybe one of the Cal. guys knows.

Spacers/adapters will be around 1" thick. You will lose 1" of clearance at the fender/tire because the adapters push the wheel out 1". You'll probably need wheels with more backspacing than normal to compensate for the adapters, so you might as well just get some SBP wheels that fit.

Also, if you redrill the axles, you have to redrill the brake drums too.

back in the "old days" we used to find some pickup truck axles and have them shortened [i believe some station wagon axles could work also]. I believe now there are axles the are cut to fit with the big pattern but they dont use the tapered factory bearings. the problem now is finding any old 8 3/4 axles. And then finding someone to shorten them. drilling the old axles is ok but then there is the small register for the wheel. you should use a register adapter when you go from the small to the large bolt pattern. so all in all there are some thinggs to consider.

IMO
The easiest solution is probably new/used wheels or rallys.
The best is lbp axles. Be they;Suitable axles cut and resplined, or aftermarkets.
The worst is spacers.
The second worst is re-drilled axles and drums,plus centering-rings. To drill the small axles out for the lbp,does't leave much meat to retain the studs. And then, like mentioned, theres the centering problem

So I guess I'll just get some used rally's? Wanna be better safe then sorry. Guess I have a reason to get bigger tires in the rear and not be rotatable.

Dammit I didn't think of that, I just want one spare. I absolutely need my truck space as I haul my guitar rig and/or drums to and from my gigs.

Trunk*

Soooo I need my axles and drums drilled..

Well where I thought I saved money on the rearend totally screwed me now.

I'm in SoCal how much would that cost to ship?

It really depends on how cheap you wanna go. A new set of axles isn't going to break the bank so to say. A quick look on summit yielded this:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/msr-a30-cst-a451/overview/

Now, this is assuming you have an actual A body setup. Which you should with the 4" pattern buttttt weirder things have happened. I'm not sure with these new axles if you can run your current brakes? I would say yes but I'm not a brake man, they always bored me. I do know if you get truck axles and cut em down, you have to use the truck brakes. Which as others have suggested is an option. But honestly for 200 bucks you get nice fresh axles, not to bad really.

EDIT: Also check out this link. Lots of handy info about the 8 3/4 setup - http://www.mymopar.com/Mopar8_75RearEndGuide.htm

I've run big n littles, 2 bolt patterns, since 99..........................and no spare.
My thinking was; how often in my lifetime have I ever had a flat at speed. Yup,zero. The flats have almost always been discovered after sitting overnight, or a low tire during pre-trip inspection. I don't even carry a jack.
Since that time, I've had exactly one on-road flat, just 3 miles from home. I was barely out of the car, and a good Samaritan was pulling over to give me a ride. I love this country.

Most people have towing on there insurance. Or they have other means, The American motorcycle association gives free towing to all members on anything there driving or riding in membership is like $25 a year.

-
Back