Lunati Voodoo roller cam - HELP!

-

Old Country

Reaction score
Is anyone out there running one of these Lunati cams?

Lunati Voodoo Solid Roller
1) Old# 60433 / new# 40200733 (.585"/.600" - 249/255 @ 0.050")
or
2) Old# 60434 / new# 40200734 (.600"/.600" - 255/263 @ 0.050")

I'm planning to use one of these in a future 416 stroker project, and don't want a full-on race engine.. more like 70% race 30% street = still streetable...ie: raw but within reason, and doesn't load-up the plugs in 5 miles... know what I mean?

Anyone running one of these on the street? Please share whatever you're willing about your engine. I'll be using a set of the lifters MRL Mike sells (best out there!)

Mike of MRL fame (much deserved) has had stellar results with the 60434, BUT that's a big cam, and I've no clue how it behaved/performed on the street - thus I'm looking for help from you to aid in this decision.

Many thanks!

30% street... you could probably get away with either of them. I'd go with the smaller of the 2. Those are pretty healthy cams especially for that cubic inch. Both have a 110LSA, which is ok. It will help the Streetability some.

3/4 race...? LORD... haven't heard THAT in a great many years, ha, ha... is this high school?:cheers:

Yea - Mike at MRL knows his stuff, and uses the bigger one in his 'healthy' builds, especially his 400/470 strokers (+600 hp) and claims there is still a "margin" of streetability.... but his margin might be over my tolerance line...

Thanks for the comments fellas... food for thought.

SO... "no body is running either of these on the street"... That's telling.

I'll leave this here, and let this cook for a while, see if I get any other hits.:happy1:

I run the 60433 in my 360. It's more street able than you think.
Idle is not very rough, at least by my standards. LOL
Idles at 800 rpm in drive... It's actually very street able, but I do have
a 3800 stall converter and 4:56 gears. :glasses7:

Check with Rodzilla.....I think he is running something similar - 98% street driven.

ive got the 434 in my 416 pump gas motor and works awesome , and is actually more streetable than my 340 with a 540 549 lift solid that i used to run. mike pointed me in the right direction he knows his stuff great to deal with , the setup is completely streetable and fun to drive , for performasnce, went a 6.69 at 104 all motor on pump gas full weight street car, 74 duster:blob:

ive got the 434 in my 416 pump gas motor and works awesome , and is actually more streetable than my 340 with a 540 549 lift solid that i used to run. mike pointed me in the right direction he knows his stuff great to deal with , the setup is completely streetable and fun to drive , for performasnce, went a 6.69 at 104 all motor on pump gas full weight street car, 74 duster:blob:
Any more details on your build?

If your worried about the way it "behave" on the street, error on the side of caution. Even the 732 cam makes good power. Either way you go your just shifting the power curves around. Bigger cam, more top end, mid size more mid range, smaller more bottom end. But they all make good power. It really will depend on the car setup. What gear, what trans, what convertor, tire size ect.

Wow - now THAT's more like it! Thanks for all the responses everyone.

OK - The plan.... 416 stroker, Scat forged crank / 4340 I-beam rods, 10.80:1 flat tops, Eddie RPM Performer heads & intake, ported & port matched, 0.208" intakes, Holley 850 HP carb with 3/4" spacer, one of these cams with Mike's lifters, all the usually other engine do-dads... etc.

My ride is a 72 Duster, 28" MT ET streets, 3.73 gears, 3400 stall 727. Currently running a sweet 408, solid cam with a 6-pack (dyno'd +530 HP) and 4-speed, great street package, but I'm a drag racer at heart, and this ain't doin it! So anyway... thx.

Laying the plans, establishing the budget, dream'n of this NEXT build.... :burnout:

On a different note:
I'm 56, not my first rodeo by any stretch, and have seen plenty of premier engine builders come and go. I do not know what makes guys like MRL Mike tick, but they are RARE! Whatever it is we of the Mopar clan are damn'd lucky to have him! I have purchased zero from him$, but hope to become a costumer soon. I have followed his engine builds for a few years now.... and have found nothing even remotely negative about his engines, his business practices or his tireless & freely given support of folks like us (on the web/race tracks/word of mouth). His impromptu advice has been and continues to be invaluable to many of us, and he benefits nothing...ie: "what makes him tick"?. I'm not trying to manifest an "aw shucks" moment for Mike, but just wanted to thank him for all he does! BTW: Having said all that - I'm still pondering your advice to switch to that FABO Box vs my MSD... BUT you are so certain it's a better unit.. it's hard to argue against MRL, ha, ha... I just cant' find much supporting your observations good or bad, so here's my leap of faith - FABO Box here I come!

scat 4.00 kit , 10.3 comp, fully worked eddies 2.08, mrl lifters and cam, victor 340 intake, 926 carb, 3800 convert, no transbrake, simple set up street car, you will be happy with your new build , its soungs like my motors twin lol

Hey Rodzilla - I just read your ENTIRE thread building your monster Demon & 416. Crap how awesome can these things get? Well you've shown us! Magnificent sir... :prayer:

Well..... Ya know we're all horrible copy-cats at one level or another, ha, ha... Why go thru all the trial & error expense$ when what you're looking for has already been built & refined countless times? All one has to do is ask a TON of questions to those in the know, and eventually the recipe will be there.

.... now I just need a tad more money. :confused:

Wow - now THAT's more like it! Thanks for all the responses everyone.

OK - The plan.... 416 stroker, Scat forged crank / 4340 I-beam rods, 10.80:1 flat tops, Eddie RPM Performer heads & intake, ported & port matched, 0.208" intakes, Holley 850 HP carb with 3/4" spacer, one of these cams with Mike's lifters, all the usually other engine do-dads... etc.

My ride is a 72 Duster, 28" MT ET streets, 3.73 gears, 3400 stall 727. Currently running a sweet 408, solid cam with a 6-pack (dyno'd +530 HP) and 4-speed, great street package, but I'm a drag racer at heart, and this ain't doin it! So anyway... thx.

With this info, I would not go any bigger than the 733 cam, and lean more towards the 732 if you want more driveability.

Thanks Mike - much appreciated. This takes much planning to 'get it right'. I've learned of a couple mopars in town running big rollers, and already have feelers-out to find them, meet them, ride in their rides...etc...

So in your opinion what changes should I be considering? Stall? Tire size? Gearing? All the above? What 'should' I move too to better align with the 733 / 734...? Showing pure humility on my ignorance in some of these areas. ...732? That's teeny-tiny, ha, ha... and don't see the mojo in that one.

They say "It's the journey".... or is it THAT sickness we all suffer from.....#-o

Hey Rodzilla - I just read your ENTIRE thread building your monster Demon & 416. Crap how awesome can these things get? Well you've shown us! Magnificent sir... :prayer:

Very much appreciated! Thank you kindly :)
Best of luck with your new new build!

-
Back