Magnum dyno videos

-

dusted

Reaction score
Richard Holdner on YouTube has posted two new 360 magnum videos. A good watch. Impressed with the results.
I will try to link the videos here unless someone more tech savvy beats me to it!

The Base is the 300hp crate engine which is a stock 5.9l Magnum with a 4bbl intake M1 dual plane and 750 holley and headers.
Seems about right with his 288 hp with beer barrel and manifolds. 300hp with headers imagine 4bbl intake for another 10-20 hp.

30b86e9e-6634-46f1-8ae7-8575bcae7dd8-png-png-png-png-png.png

(The mod is eddy heads air gap and a Comp 275 cam)

Here's different exhaust.

upload_2021-8-5_19-54-34-png.png

Interesting that in two different videos, if you compare the curves between the M1 dual plane and a 750, and the beer keg with stock injection the curves are damn near identical. And the peak numbers are within 1-2 hp/tq. Tells me the beer keg isn’t as bad as it’s reputation says.

that's the thing that always ticked me off about smog checks. if the car runs as clean as it's allowed, why care what i did to it :mad:
You’re assuming anyone at the EPA and CARB is logical and level headed. They are not.

Interesting that in two different videos, if you compare the curves between the M1 dual plane and a 750, and the beer keg with stock injection the curves are damn near identical. And the peak numbers are within 1-2 hp/tq. Tells me the beer keg isn’t as bad as it’s reputation says.
I would have liked to seen a 52mm/bored throttle body run with the factory keg .

That would be a interesting test. (sniffer with a hotter cam)

I would think a tighter than stock LSA (i.e., more overlap) would impact VOC/NOx emissions more so than duration or lift. Keeping the LSA nice and wide would probably give the best chance at passing the sniffer test. I agree - it would be interesting to see the test results!

COMP Cams 20-745-9 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
Cam specs from the above test. I’d say he nailed the cam choice on a daily driver type engine. Lost nothing down low and picked up ~70 at peak! That’s the cam the 5.9 magnum should have come with stock. I bet it would run good with factory efi and pass the sniffer test.
I run that cam in my 99 club cab r/t. It wouldn't pass a sniffer test from 60 feet in my truck. Lol but it does work very well 2k up

I run that cam in my 99 club cab r/t. It wouldn't pass a sniffer test from 60 feet in my truck. Lol but it does work very well 2k up
Are you happy with it? Would you use it again or go bigger? I’ve been thinking about going with a 224/244, 110 LSA, and .512 lift.

Are you happy with it? Would you use it again or go bigger? I’ve been thinking about going with a 224/244, 110 LSA, and .512 lift.
Well the cam itself is probably great alone. I did probably over port my heads & beer keg intake manifold, but if I tune it & put in a stall converter it should be very good. What are you doing with your magnum Carburetor or fuel injection ? If you're going carb & nothing computer controlled a bigger cam would probably be fine that duration spread sure seems like a big spread favoring the exhaust.

Look online at hypotek I think it's called ?
He makes custom grind magnum 5.9 cams.
Or I should say he specs them and comp grinds them.
Very knowledgeable with 5.9 and dakota stuff

Well the cam itself is probably great alone. I did probably over port my heads & beer keg intake manifold, but if I tune it & put in a stall converter it should be very good. What are you doing with your magnum Carburetor or fuel injection ? If you're going carb & nothing computer controlled a bigger cam would probably be fine that duration spread sure seems like a big spread favoring the exhaust.
I’m running a Chinese knockoff air gap and a carb in my Duster. Trailbeast is running a .214/.224, 110 LSA, .512 lift in his dart but he said he thinks he’d go with a .224/.244 setup if he had it to do over. The rest of his engine setup is very similar to mine.

I’m running a Chinese knockoff air gap and a carb in my Duster.
Yeah then as long as the rest of your set up will allow it a bigger cam will be fine. But as jimmer said check with hypotech or Hughes. There's a few really good cam retailers that know the magnum.

This where it comes down to intended use and preference.

Im going from the 380 hp create cam and M1 single plane to the Chinese air gap and smaller comp 265 roller, cause I plan on using it like a daily driver not a weekend play toy and don’t plan on racing it. But if was a weekend play toy and doing the odd racing and burning rubber all over town I’d with the larger cam your talking about especially if you got stall and gears.

The larger cam definitely will make more power over 3500 rpm with similar bottom but may have a slight loss down there and burn a few mpg’s more and have a more lopy idle.

This where it comes down to intended use and preference.

Im going from the 380 hp create cam and M1 single plane to the Chinese air gap and smaller comp 265 roller, cause I plan on using it like a daily driver not a weekend play toy and don’t plan on racing it. But if was a weekend play toy and doing the odd racing and burning rubber all over town I’d with the larger cam your talking about especially if you got stall and gears.

The larger cam definitely will make more power over 3500 rpm with similar bottom but may have a slight loss down there and burn a few mpg’s more and have a more lopy idle.
Primary use for my car will be a driver/street car as well. I’m running a 5 speed, the first gear is low enough that running 2.76’s is equivalent to running a 9.04 with 4.10s. I prefer a decent lope but performance is more important.

-
Back