magnum heads

-

kempi

Reaction score
i saw on ebay a company that sells reworked magnum heads,
does anyone have experience with this company - CLEARWATER CYLINDER HEAD INC. ?
They sell one head for 175$ without core charge - seems very little to me, so i´m wondering if they do a good job or better to leave hands off them?

Any experience and advice highly appreciated.

I bought reworked magnum heads about 2 years ago, but not from that company. The price was about the same and their work seemed pretty decent.

If no core is returned, there is a $75.00 corecharge put on your credit card.

My instincts say "you get what you pay for. With no core, to me even $425 is low. For performance work and parts (meaning springs more than anything else...) I cant see that as realistic. But I'm also told fairly often here my $$ experience is highway robbery in it's most basic form ;) .

I had my machinist check out the heads, the only thing he found he didn't like, was when they decked the heads the cut was a little rough, but otherwise nothing wrong with it, mopar springs, valves and seals

whitey said:
I had my machinist check out the heads, the only thing he found he didn't like, was when they decked the heads the cut was a little rough, but otherwise nothing wrong with it, mopar springs, valves and seals

Hi Whitey,
what company did you get your heads from?

I heard these heads were prone to cracking between the valves.
Are they differences in casting thickness between various years , so I should look heads from certain years or are they all the same?

kempi said:
I heard these heads were prone to cracking between the valves.
Are they differences in casting thickness between various years , so I should look heads from certain years or are they all the same?

Yes, cracking between the valves is a problem. There are a few differant casting numbers but I dont think one is less prone to cracking then the others. I do think one casting flows a little better.

There is a company that is casting new upgraded Magnum heads also. I'll see if I can find the nfo on them.

Thanks everybody,

I checked out the site of EQ - make a good impression on me, does anyone else have experience with these heads?

if you look in the "where to purchase", clearwater cylinder heads is one of them...

Steve

It looks like the Mopar ones are not new castings, that's mainly a Chevy site. You may want to ask that. Because adding new seats, and guides to cores, will cost much more than $310 for a set of bare castings. Pro Action was/is one of the better aftermarket heads for GMs. Very nice stuff as cast.

The $175 ones aren't new but the $265 ones are..if you go down on that page it will show related parts.

They also have 302 heads for $155 each.

Steve

I had a bad experience with "remanufactured heads" from Alabama Cylinder Heads. I bought a pair of 302s for my 318 and took them to a local shop to get alittle port/polish work done. Turns out they only had a 1 angle valve job, the valves and valve springs were used and the roundness of the valve stem was way way off. I would DEFINATLY get a reputable cylinder head shop to go through them and I would expect at least a good valve job to be done.

-
Back