Magnum intake drilling plate project

-
I definitely understand about lending to someone with one post. That's crazy that the guy won't give the jig back it's like he has a lack of humanity and courtesy for his fellow mopar people.

I would use the intake you said but it's for a 2002 Dakota 5.9 with the factory fuel injection so I need to use the magnum intake which has the injector bosses already.
If using the keg intake I would drill out each hole and install steel sleeves because drill bit will cut into the aluminum. Do ends first then install a bolt to hold the intake square and not slip around. Intake should lay flat against the heads. Run the tap though the intake hole also to keep them straight

Ok I can try that.. these steel sleeves would I be able to find them in a home depot or autozone or something I gotta search for custom online somewhere?

What would be a good way to hold the intake still for those first maybe 3 or 4 holes to be drilled?

Ok I can try that.. these steel sleeves would I be able to find them in a home depot or autozone or something I gotta search for custom online somewhere?
Find the drill size for the thread tap, that will be the inside measurement for first sleeve. Second will be the tap size, ideal would be both pipes the same outside measurement or better yet small one fit in the big one, only would need one of each, then drill out intake for the larger one to fit. A machine shop could make both real quick, make up both about 12” to replace for wear. A heavy weight on top will hold it down to get first one made or long threaded rod thru intake and empty block, plate on top and on bottom of block holding the rod.

Does anyone know if a reverse jig exists to drill for a magnum style intake to be installed on an la style head? Want to install trick flows on a magnum block with a Mopar m1 2bbl magnum intake. Was thinking if not I can maybe use a spare magnum kegger intake as a jig but not sure how I would keep it in place while drilling...
The thing about redrilling a beer keg is, have you REALLY looked at it? Is there a way that the angled bolts can even fit without a bunch of milling, or crash through into a port runner? Is there even room to insert the bolts without cutting into the TB mount so you can reach bolts through from inside?

I would think it much easier to figure a way to mod an LA intake for injectors. TB and sensors are easy, by comparison

The thing about redrilling a beer keg is, have you REALLY looked at it? Is there a way that the angled bolts can even fit without a bunch of milling, or crash through into a port runner? Is there even room to insert the bolts without cutting into the TB mount so you can reach bolts through from inside?

I would think it much easier to figure a way to mod an LA intake for injectors. TB and sensors are easy, by comparison

He is talking about using a beer barrel intake only as a jig. He wants to use an aftermarket MP intake that is more like an LA intake, but with vertical bolts and injector bosses.

@Siciliano15, since you just need holes in the intake to match up to the holes in the cylinder head and don't need to thread them, not sure if it is all that important. Maybe just an intake gasket as a template? Mark the holes and maybe drill them a little oversized then clean up the top side and use a washer under the bolt head.

Edelbrock 28155

73CB6270-49D3-478D-AE06-C13EEF00FB62.jpeg

CCCAF3FC-B8D9-4361-80BE-2A7E1A2CB6F5.jpeg

Good idea with the weights on the intake I'll just throw a couple 45s on top and that should be good for me to drill the first few. I just got back from home depot I was actually able to find some brass or maybe copper threaded pipe in 1/8" size that is just small enough for a few threads to screw into the intake bolt holes and the inner part is a good size for the size F drill bit so it doesn't wiggle much. I found a kit it's a size F bit and 5/16" tap for the magnum sized bolts.

Yea I'm drilling the la style trick flow heads for the magnum intake not the other way around. Drilling a magnum style intake for la style heads wouldn't come out too nice it would look sloppy compared to when people drill la manifolds for magnums those come out better. That's the first I've seen of that edelbrock manifold if the ac bracket wasn't in the way that would be a great option.

Good idea with the weights on the intake I'll just throw a couple 45s on top and that should be good for me to drill the first few. I just got back from home depot I was actually able to find some brass or maybe copper threaded pipe in 1/8" size that is just small enough for a few threads to screw into the intake bolt holes and the inner part is a good size for the size F drill bit so it doesn't wiggle much. I found a kit it's a size F bit and 5/16" tap for the magnum sized bolts.

Yea I'm drilling the la style trick flow heads for the magnum intake not the other way around. Drilling a magnum style intake for la style heads wouldn't come out too nice it would look sloppy compared to when people drill la manifolds for magnums those come out better. That's the first I've seen of that edelbrock manifold if the ac bracket wasn't in the way that would be a great option.
Brass will wear just like aluminum, look in their metal rack sometimes they have tubing of different sizes

Oh for real? Ok I'll go check again tomorrow to see if they have anything in steel in that size.

Mopar made the M1 intakes in a whole bunch of configurations. A few had LA intake bolt pattern with Magnum thermostat housing and bypass fitting locations. These were also available with bosses for fuel injectors and some part numbers were even drilled for the injectors. I cannot remember for sure if there was ever a 2 barrel version for the throttle body with these configurations. Too bad these are not still available. Here is a thread with a picture of the four barrel, LA intake bolts, Magnum thermostat housing and bypass, without injector bosses. It is the first picture I could find, in post number three. Once in a while these show up for sale.
Mopar P4532851

I thought of that intake as well.

Unfortunately, that intake would not allow for the FEAD to bolt on. Thermostat housing is in the way of the alternator and/or AC compressor. Really has to be a Magnum intake.
The alternator clears. The A/C compressor won't. My buddy is running the Edelbrock EFI intake on his Dakota R/T. He ditched the A/C earlier. I'm planning to do something similar for my Shelby Dakota.

Wow I've never seen that! An m1 4bbl for an la with no injectors but magnum bypass that's crazy but a thing of beauty. Mopar Performance was on fire 20 years ago they were making amazing parts. It's a shame that today their parts division is like a shell of itself.

I think it’d be easier to add LA bolt holes to the M1 intake rather than drill the heads. Kinda like speedmaster does on their knockoff air gap.

I looked into that initially but because the magnum intakes already have bosses and holes for vertical bolts there would not be a flat location for the la style bolt head to tighten against the manifold. Lots of cutting and reshaping of the bolt areas would be needed.

No problem. With all these different scenarios it gets hard to follow after a while.

On a slight side note, has anyone seen a Mopar head that came machined for dual angle (magnum & la) style intake bolts? Like the bolts could be screwed in at either angle. I could have sworn I saw one online somewhere not sure what brand. Unless it was a dream lol.

Lol well it wasn't a dream I finally found what it was that I saw it was on Hughes website they modify heads and redrill them. No head comes automatically with both. Here is the picture I saw: https://hughesengines.com/Upload/Images/art103f.jpg
Are you keeping the air conditioning? Do you already have the intake you plan to use?

This is probably a good candidate for its own thread for fuel injection with Magnum intake and accessories on LA heads.

Yea keeping the ac. Sorry I guess it was kinda a thread hijack. I do have the intake already

Just as an update to anyone wanting to install magnum intakes on la heads, dont do it. I had all the parts ready to go the drill bits the clamps the tap kit, and was like let me just look this over really good before i start.... well, the ports do not match between an la and magnum. the magnum port is a good amount shorter but slightly wider than the la and the ports are spaced slightly further apart so it would not be a smooth flow of air.

I was able to find a used la bolt & port style m1 intake with the magnum style thermostat & bypass exactly like the one Bobzilla mentioned so i got that and I am going to have injector bungs welded onto it next week that way no drilling of the head or intake bolts and the ports match up perfectly. Just gotta see how it goes with the bung welding since theres no bosses on it. I have a really good welder/machinist near me so hopefully he can do it.

apparently all the intakes ever made with bosses were magnum style bolts/ports. actual drilled intakes there were only ever 4 types made. 2 4bbl magnums one with the original thermostat one with magnum style and 2 2bbl manifolds thats it. will know more this coming week and will send pics when done.

-
Back