Magnum MPG daily driver

-

Markrenner

Reaction score
okay so what is everyones gas mileage with their magnum swaps? i looked up the fuel econ for the dodge trucks and it seems the 5.2 only gets 1-2 miles better than the 5.9 according to the govt. If this is true into an Abody i dont see the point in waste it with a 5.2.

That would depend on what your looking for out of your swap. The 318 may get better mileage than the 360 by that 1-2 mpg tune, but if your really looking for power, it's the 360 your looking at. For a mild upgrade in power and just a cruiser, the 318 will do great.

Between the computer, EFI, overdrive and a better and newer engine, either engine is a winner.

EFI sucks balls for mileage. Go look at window stickers on new trucks and see. 15-19 is what you see as a general rule. It was the same 40 years ago. EFI ain't sheeot in my book...and that's what those figures are based off of you found. A good sized properly tuned carburetor will win out IMO over EFI. Especially a Thermoquad.

EFI sucks balls for mileage. Go look at window stickers on new trucks and see. 15-19 is what you see as a general rule. It was the same 40 years ago. EFI ain't sheeot in my book...and that's what those figures are based off of you found. A good sized properly tuned carburetor will win out IMO over EFI. Especially a Thermoquad.

I agree 100%.

My '92 4x4 Dakota (5.2L Magnum / A518) gets 14mpg (highway) on a good day. Truck weighed in at 4,200 pounds when i was getting those numbers

In an '85 D50 4x4 i used to own (318 with a 4bbl intake & 800 TQ / TF904) got 19 - 20mpg (mixed city & highway) and weighed in at 3,900 pounds empty

Even my dad's '75 D300 Dumptruck (318 / NP435) gets better mileage than my 5.2L Magnum, and the D300 weighs in at 8,500 empty

15-19 is what you see as a general rule. It was the same 40 years ago. EFI ain't sheeot in my book...and that's what those figures are based off of you found.

MPG is figured differently now. all vehicles dropped advertised mpg over night when they started calculating the new way. and on top of that the vehicles weigh a lot more now then they used to.

i agree efi and carb can be damn close maybe even exactly the same at times. difference is on that 60* day that the carb was tuned it was perfect. today at 80* its rich. the efi adjusted itself... advantage efi. :)

MPG is figured differently now. all vehicles dropped advertised mpg over night when they started calculating the new way. and on top of that the vehicles weigh a lot more now then they used to.

i agree efi and carb can be damn close maybe even exactly the same at times. difference is on that 60* day that the carb was tuned it was perfect. today at 80* its rich. the efi adjusted itself... advantage efi. :)

I'm curious, whats the difference in the old way and the new way they calculate MPG?

..complicated subject.
..we have all seen a big engine get better mileage than a small engine in some vehicles.
..someone should start a mileage thread.

Mileage threads have been done a few times with big *** liars claiming 35+ MPG's out of there /6 engines 27 + from there 318's.

ESP, IIRC, the new way to calc mileage is over various terrains and heights. Sea level to the mountains. The issue was complaints from people not getting there advertised mileage, which was tested on a flat surface in the best of conditions, not the actual environmental it drives in.

Lets face it. MY mileage will probably be best living at or as close as possible to sea level. While those who drive in the mountains are less likely to get great mileage going up, but get starlet mpg's going down....LOL!

..complicated subject.
..we have all seen a big engine get better mileage than a small engine in some vehicles.
..someone should start a mileage thread.
That is just what we need, another hip wader thread.....the kind that the s&*t is deep you need waders to post on it.....

Mileage threads have been done a few times with big *** liars claiming 35+ MPG's out of there /6 engines 27 + from there 318's.

ESP, IIRC, the new way to calc mileage is over various terrains and heights. Sea level to the mountains. The issue was complaints from people not getting there advertised mileage, which was tested on a flat surface in the best of conditions, not the actual environmental it drives in.

Lets face it. MY mileage will probably be best living at or as close as possible to sea level. While those who drive in the mountains are less likely to get great mileage going up, but get starlet mpg's going down....LOL!

Right it's all subjective. You gotta trust people to tell the truth. Yeah ok....LOL As usual my yankee friend, you're dead nuts on the money.

Right it's all subjective. You gotta trust people to tell the truth. Yeah ok....LOL As usual my yankee friend, you're dead nuts on the money.
And there is so many damn variables. My diesel, in the heat of AZ would do no better than 17, up here in the cooler Pacific Northwest, even with the funky blended stuff that is sold up here it gets 19.......

someone should start a mileage thread.

i kept a close eye on my darts mileage last year when i did the Ocean city md cruise in oct. it got a consistent 15mpg no matter what i did to it. the highway on the way there 15 mpg. a hundred mile cruise through md mainly on back roads but some high speed runs it got 15mpg. my odo is pretty damn dead on when i compare it to two different gps units. not bad i guess, could get more if i actually wanted to play with the carb or finally put my ez efi on the damn thing.. now if i used the winter crap they sell during the winter months mpg would drop and not run near as well..

...not to find out what everyone gets, but a discussion on how to increase mileage from those with first hand experience.
...most don't care,but some might

So has anyone done a magnum swap and looked at your mpg? I want a powerful Daily driver so I'm leaning toward 5.9 with a 5 speed or keep my A833?

IMO, if you can get the 5spd in there and working, GO FOR IT! And the 5.9.

ir, what is the engine your messing with again? Mileage increases can be easy or hard depending on the system that operates the engine/car. The newer the computer, the better it SHOULD be for mileage. But then again, swapping a truck computer into a much lighter car should call for a re calibration of the computer. You could be looking at a drop of 2,000 lbs.

I have the 318 magnum hooked to a 5 speed manual and 3.25 final gears. I have checked the mileage several times and usually it is around 20.

That's completely illogical. Look at the weights of modern trucks. They've increased and so has power.

40yrs ago a 400hp truck wouldnt be pulling 15-19, it'd be more like 10-12.

Thanks kennygene Atleast one person stayed on topic.... Anyone else?

umm, give me 2 weeks? I have a magnum 360 swapped in my car, but i made a mistake on my electric fuel pump install and didnt use a regulator(per the summit/holley instructions).

Which has led to my carb pumping way too much fuel into the cylinders and making it run rich. So i have a regulator coming tomorrow and hopefully in 2 weeks i can get a more accurate gauge of the mpg

-
Back