Magnum replacement heads?

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
I have read somewhere that EQ discontinued their magnum replacement heads? Upon searching I've seen Speedmaster and Promaxx have a replacement Magnum head. Does anyone know if they are all about the same castings? I'm trying to build a real LOW budget 360 for my pulling truck for next year and the magnum replacement heads seem to be the best bang for the buck. Another question is does Indy still offer their line of LaX or MaX heads? I thought I seen they were discontinued as well.

I have read somewhere that EQ discontinued their magnum replacement heads? Upon searching I've seen Speedmaster and Promaxx have a replacement Magnum head. Does anyone know if they are all about the same castings? I'm trying to build a real LOW budget 360 for my pulling truck for next year and the magnum replacement heads seem to be the best bang for the buck. Another question is does Indy still offer their line of LaX or MaX heads? I thought I seen they were discontinued as well.
Hughes has stock replacements on their site with bronze guides for $1250. They say their Iron Rams are discontinued however

I talked to Charlie, one of Indys new owners. She said they are coming out soon with a new replacement head for the sb.

The EQ heads are still being cast, but they are not the old casting like everybody liked. So for just a stock replacement, you can still get them.
I talked to Charlie, one of Indys new owners. She said they are coming out soon with a new replacement head for the sb.
Are they still making the MAX and LAX heads?

From the Hughes site regarding the latest EQ magnum heads:

The High Performance EQ Heads (also known as the Iron Ram or "CH318B" heads) have not been available since about September 2019. Beware when buying the "CH318B replacement heads". They are very durable but NOT A PERFORMANCE HEAD! Don't be mis-led.

Seedblaster magnum heads are advertised as 179cc intake port. That's big, definitely not a stock copy head. 320.00 right now.

Wonder how long till they're available?

#4, I think are the new heads.
#2, 308s with the 2.02 intakes is the set I bought.

Chrysler LA Small Block Assembled – New 318 LA and Magnum Castings Avail. (Add $200.00)
ARO-CY-SB318 1968-1987 318 A-Engine Heads, 1.88X1.60 Stainless Valves (2.02 Int. Valve Not Available) 67-70cc Open Chamber Design, .509” Lift Springs........................... 399.00

ARO-CY-SB340 1968-1987 340-360 A-Engine 1.88X1.60 SS Valves, (2.02 Int. Valve add $100.00) 67-70cc Open Chamber Design, .509” Lift Springs, 160cc In. Port Volume........ 499.00

ARO-CY-SB915 Head-Same Features as Above 340-360 but Utilizes Select #915 or #587 Castings with a Larger Intake Port Volume ....................................................................... 699.00

ARO-CY-SB202 New LA Heads 2.02X1.60 SS Valves Hard Ex Seats 72cc Open Chamber 166cc Int Volume 59cc Ex Volume .525 Lift Springs ....................................................... 895.00

ARO-H3-144-3602 Head Bolts ARP OEM LA Heads .........

Last edited:
The Magnum head that is being so today...is made by Speedmaster79.....I have a set in the machine shop being assemble....

Big difference from the EQ head.....

pictures of speedmaster head vs eq head....the speedmaster is a very dark casting...
There is also a Indy MA-X head there..

20200413_154948_resized.jpg

20200415_155855_resized.jpg

20200413_155048_resized.jpg

20200413_155031_resized.jpg

20200413_155120_resized.jpg

20200413_155336_resized.jpg

20200413_155224_resized.jpg

just responded to your PM

Bought them for a pickup truck and price...not for performance.

Last edited:
just responded to your PM

Bought them for a pickup truck and price...not for performance.
You dont port your own stuff, right? So would you say you're a good eye to base your opinion on?

I see a good port...and hear a preference echoing for eq that overshadowing a potentially good head.

You dont port your own stuff, right? So would you say you're a good eye to base your opinion on?

I see a good port...and hear a preference echoing for eq that overshadowing a potentially good head.
I have no clue as to their performance potential.....bought for pick up truck and they were 40% off...

I would image that any head can be ported to increase it performance potential....but will they compare with the EQ?,,,,,,

need to ask one of the porting guys..

I know you guys love those Speedmasters cuz they are cheap...you still get what you pay for.

Any head that' s sold for 40% off should be viewed with caution especially one thats sold by a company with a tainted reputation.

AWh...yes of course.....360 Dart with Speedmaster heads runs 10.46 @ 125 two weeks ago in Bakersfield....
Got a couple more ported but no engine to put them on...Stock/Super Stock engine builder ported them....
Said he was impressed..but what he know...

Brian at IMM ported these...

As always I provide documentation or video....can load the video if you like...

IMG_6884.jpg

The Magnum head that is being so today...is made by Speedmaster79.....I have a set in the machine shop being assemble....

Big difference from the EQ head.....

Speedmaster has some incorrect specifications on their website on some items. Any chance of getting one of those cast iron Magnum replacements poured to check intake volume, to compare with their 179cc claim? I would not be afraid of them for a truck engine either, but I am curious to know if they really are 179cc.

I also wonder if these are the same as the ones tested and ported in another thread by RAMM a few years ago?
New Magnum heads for 347 with Flow data

Oops. I meant maybe you could do that when you get them back from the shop. Just with alcohol or even water to get a rough measure. Definitely not asking you to pay extra for that. Sorry.

Speedmaster has some incorrect specifications on their website on some items

This is true. Lots of incorrect specs for valve sizes, spring data, installed heights, etc.
I had a set of the cnc’d Victor copy BB heads here, advertised as 325cc.
Looking at them I could see they weren’t going to be that big.
Poured one...... it was about 25cc short.

I def wouldn’t assume the 179cc spec for the magnum replacements was correct.
It might be....... but it’s just as likely to not be.

Pour it, and iiwii.

If I were buying the replacement Magnum heads as something to use for a performance build........ I think I’d be inclined to spend the extra $16/pr and go aluminum.

6438F281-975A-43AA-B459-38CDAB9BE789.png

A9AC24EE-70D6-41F8-9577-77B0A3266A9F.png

-
Back