Magnum shortblock capability.

-
I heard the magnum block is stronger from a local machine shop owner/ engine builder who has forgotten more than i know.
Is it OK if i repeat his info. Its the guy who built the stock stroke 360 with victor heads that made 771

It would be nice to see that dyno queen hit the track and see how it holds up to 7 years or so if racing. Be nice to see what numbers it could produce while building a track record

It would be nice to see that dyno queen hit the track and see how it holds up to 7 years or so if racing. Be nice to see what numbers it could produce while building a track record

Thats just sour grapes guy. Sorry to hear you talk like that. That motor was built to enter a dyno competition with. Nothing more. Slide that over into an R3 block that combo would run forever. Low compression, 255/265 cam.
Why buy a 3000 dollar block for a dyno deal when he could fill a 100 dollar block with concrete( which he did) and still get the results. You really disappointed me with that comment. Sounds very condescending

Thats just sour grapes guy. Sorry to hear you talk like that. That motor was built to enter a dyno competition with. Nothing more. Slide that over into an R3 block that combo would run forever. Low compression, 255/265 cam.
Why buy a 3000 dollar block for a dyno deal when he could fill a 100 dollar block with concrete( which he did) and still get the results. You really disappointed me with that comment. Sounds very condescending

No sour grapes but a few hits on a dyno proves nothing about durability and I think that's what this post is about. I know for a fact that an LA block can run 9's for well over 7 years and didn't fail because of the block. Heck even worn out it ran 10.08 at 3200 pounds in Pa's June weather. For us "budget racers" its about durability right? I would love to see what a Magnum block is capable of instead of a few dyno hits filled with concrete.

Yall wanna see what one will stand? Get @womanator in here and let him show you his stuff. That dude is the real deal. I think most of his is big block stuff, but that guy knows how to run fast and has done it a while.

I don’t read it as sour grapes but certainly he makes an extremely valid point. While the dyno engine is a pourpose built unit, Pittsburgh is right.

Don’t get me wrong! It is awesome to see what is being done. Now, how easy is that for me to replicate at home?
Can it be done for a reasonable price?
I see some interesting mods done to it. If your gonna feed me the BS line of “Speed costs money” meaning I should pony up to this guy, your not living in the real world and I’ll take donations from you to start.
:lol:

I don’t read it as sour grapes but certainly he makes an extremely valid point. While the dyno engine is a pourpose built unit, Pittsburgh is right.

Don’t get me wrong! It is awesome to see what is being done. Now, how easy is that for me to replicate at home?
Can it be done for a reasonable price?
I see some interesting mods done to it. If your gonna feed me the BS line of “Speed costs money” meaning I should pony up to this guy, your not living in the real world and I’ll take donations from you to start.
:lol:

If he builds 1 motor or 1000 doesnt effect how i pay my bills. Have zero to do with the place. Just a very nice local Mopar engine builder. Been friends with his dad for years.
He built the discussed motor to dyno only. Its not against the law to have that as your aim. 99% of what he does goes in cars. That motor has about 75 pulls on it at 4 different places
I have no doubt a production block wont last long making 800 horse( which that motor makes when he wrings it out) i dont see that being a big secret to anybody.
But again, i am sure if he sells all that stuff most anybody would put it in a race block so as not to drive over it.
I know what making steam and driving over a production block is like. I have done it
Not trying to feed ya anything

No sour grapes but a few hits on a dyno proves nothing about durability and I think that's what this post is about. I know for a fact that an LA block can run 9's for well over 7 years and didn't fail because of the block. Heck even worn out it ran 10.08 at 3200 pounds in Pa's June weather. For us "budget racers" its about durability right? I would love to see what a Magnum block is capable of instead of a few dyno hits filled with concrete.

If you want to see what a Magnum block is capable of build one. The 500/600 horse motors we are running arent likely to hurt one

A reply truly wasting cyberspace that’s to easy to have fun with. But I gotta ask, YOU think making this kind of HP is not a big secrecy?

Glad your so worldly on this topic and that reply was like it is easy to do that you wipe your *** with 1,000 HP builds.

Seriously, get over yourself.
Not everyone can whip out a recipe much less afford to do it.
With that Attitude, you are trying to sell a bill of goods. Who are you shitting!!!

Everything else in your post is a huge pile of fodder.

If he builds 1 motor or 1000 doesnt effect how i pay my bills. Have zero to do with the place. Just a very nice local Mopar engine builder. Been friends with his dad for years.
He built the discussed motor to dyno only. Its not against the law to have that as your aim. 99% of what he does goes in cars. That motor has about 75 pulls on it at 4 different places
I have no doubt a production block wont last long making 800 horse( which that motor makes when he wrings it out) i dont see that being a big secret to anybody.
But again, i am sure if he sells all that stuff most anybody would put it in a race block so as not to drive over it.
I know what making steam and driving over a production block is like. I have done it
Not trying to feed ya anything

A reply truly wasting cyberspace that’s to easy to have fun with. But I gotta ask, YOU think making this kind of HP is not a big secrecy?

Glad your so worldly on this topic and that reply was like it is easy to do that you wipe your *** with 1,000 HP builds.

Seriously, get over yourself.
Not everyone can whip out a recipe much less afford to do it.
With that Attitude, you are trying to sell a bill of goods. Who are you shitting!!!

Everything else .
in your post is a huge pile of fodder.

Pretty much every single thing in that build was spelled out with a good bit of detail.
Victor cnc heads that were massaged. Ross pistons. 3.55 stroke crank. 100 overbore 360 magnum block . 255/265 roller cam 775 lift. Holley W2 intake he welded on to get to fit victor heads( oval to rectangular... lots of labor. 11.66 compression.
Not trying to sell anything guy. You sometimes have a warped sense of reality. Usually late in the evening..... drinking?
Who said anything about 1000 horsepower builds? This build is stock stroke, compression limited.
You have heads that flow 380cfm plus it isnt ulra hard to make good power with them. These Victor heads seem to be very nice

LMAO, thanks, don’t drink.
“Who said anything about 1000 horsepower”
Your right, I should have read the article and quoted his exact power levels. Everything is spelled out but it took him to do it and then you make light of it like it is easy and affordable.

OK , OK we get it, you pittsburgracer are thee bestest, most amazingest, incredible-est, thriftiest, wisest, quickest, fastest, head/intake porterest, LA engine guru of all.

Us pleebs have to remind ourselves of the honour you bestow unto us just to read your posts that you grace us with. We forgot our place-sorry. J.Rob

200w_d.gif

I think the "common" belief is that a production LA block would fail anywhere north of 600HP pretty much instantly (ie on the dyno) Also most people don't set out to build an 800HP smallblock based on a production block.

It is sourgrapes on full display here. I'm not sure why you have such a disdain for dyno's/dyno testing or building anything newer than an LA. You hate the G3 and now you can't even get behind the "ultra modern" Magnum--. Nobody likes change, you could be a poster child for #stationary or #stuckinthepast.

FWIW your car is extremely well set up and light, I bet a 2bl 318 would run 13's in it. BFD if YOU run 9's. YOU could run 7's in a pipe rack. J.Rob

Pretty much every single thing in that build was spelled out with a good bit of detail.
Victor cnc heads that were massaged. Ross pistons. 3.55 stroke crank. 100 overbore 360 magnum block . 255/265 roller cam 775 lift. Holley W2 intake he welded on to get to fit victor heads( oval to rectangular... lots of labor. 11.66 compression.
Not trying to sell anything guy. You sometimes have a warped sense of reality. Usually late in the evening..... drinking?
Who said anything about 1000 horsepower builds? This build is stock stroke, compression limited.
You have heads that flow 380cfm plus it isnt ulra hard to make good power with them. These Victor heads seem to be very nice

I have watched this closely and was not surprised to see it down on power at the REC, however I WAS surprised that it still made 740ish . No way would I have had the sack to even mentally entertain a Magnum block .100" over even with a fill. Very impressive build, and I'm sure in PB's Duster it would run bottom 8's if his near 600hp runs 9's like he so often reminds us.

Wasn't this thread about Magnum block durability? I'd say a near 800hp build put forth as an example is a pretty good testament. Would it last 7years as PB wants to know? Don't know don't care myself as there isn't any R3's available. How many runs in 7 years anyways? 10-20-50-100-1000? Doubt it's a thousand--even then that's a paltry 250 miles at WOT with full cooldown and maintenance in between. Try your hand at circletrack where one engine can and often do perform for THOUSANDS of laps (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 mile) in a season before a refresh. Always pounding your chest about your 9 sec smallblock duster with Edelbrock heads. Good for you-we get it. J.Rob

OK , OK we get it, you pittsburgracer are thee bestest, most amazingest, incredible-est, thriftiest, wisest, quickest, fastest, head/intake porterest, LA engine guru of all.

Us pleebs have to remind ourselves of the honour you bestow unto us just to read your posts that you grace us with. We forgot our place-sorry. J.Rob

View attachment 1715252866

Wow you dyno heads should get out of the shop for some fresh air. Again no sour grapes as I love the Victor heads, big roller cams, and horsepower. All I’m asking for is to see the track record of the allmighty magnum block. Not some concrete filled dyno mule. Don’t any of you dyno heads race to show what they are and are not capable of. Let’s see some more name calling out of you now.

Wow you dyno heads should get out of the shop for some fresh air. Again no sour grapes as I love the Victor heads, big roller cams, and horsepower. All I’m asking for is to see the track record of the allmighty magnum block. Not some concrete filled dyno mule. Don’t any of you dyno heads race to show what they are and are not capable of. Let’s see some more name calling out of you now.

Hope you arent calling me a dyno head..... lol. Been drag racing 47 years whenever i can, am a Monster Mopar race sponsor. Dont know what else i can do....

I have watched this closely and was not surprised to see it down on power at the REC, however I WAS surprised that it still made 740ish . No way would I have had the sack to even mentally entertain a Magnum block .100" over even with a fill. Very impressive build, and I'm sure in PB's Duster it would run bottom 8's if his near 600hp runs 9's like he so often reminds us.

Wasn't this thread about Magnum block durability? I'd say a near 800hp build put forth as an example is a pretty good testament. Would it last 7years as PB wants to know? Don't know don't care myself as there isn't any R3's available. How many runs in 7 years anyways? 10-20-50-100-1000? Doubt it's a thousand--even then that's a paltry 250 miles at WOT with full cooldown and maintenance in between. Try your hand at circletrack where one engine can and often do perform for THOUSANDS of laps (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 mile) in a season before a refresh. Always pounding your chest about your 9 sec smallblock duster with Edelbrock heads. Good for you-we get it. J.Rob

Ramm. For some reason at that competition they made the competitors putt mufflers on them. If you look on his site( Jack’s) you can see the muffs on it on the dyno. He also said it was 95 degrees and humid in there. Unsure why that was the case, but it was. Neither of those factors could have helped power output much.....lol
They stopped those pulls, per the rules at 7500 rpm. When Jack made the 771 he said it busted 800 wringing it out over 8k. I dont doubt it. Stock stroke with that big of head is gonna love rpm.
Imagine that thing at 14 to 1 with a bigger roller... probably push the crank out the bottom of it

Hope you arent calling me a dyno head..... lol. Been drag racing 47 years whenever i can, am a Monster Mopar race sponsor. Dont know what else i can do....

No you aren’t and I enjoy reading your posts but on this subject you are kind of a repeater of the same info from your builder. I just question guys that say the magnum blocks are so great compared to the la blocks but have no concrete proof. Lol. Get It!!! Now the name calling Canadian I am talking about

No you aren’t and I enjoy reading your posts but on this subject you are kind of a repeater of the same info from your builder. I just question guys that say the magnum blocks are so great compared to the la blocks but have no concrete proof. Lol. Get It!!! Now the name calling Canadian I am talking about

Haha. Jack said the Magnums he has built are harder than LA blocks are. Better in the main webbing area too. I have never been a believer using splayed caps on an LA block. Neither is he.
That said, he ran splayed caps on this magnum. Said there is the extra meat to make doing it worthwhile

Now the name calling Canadian I am talking about

First of all my Mom is an American (Wisconsin) and she holds dual citizenship as can I at anytime I wish. (You know what that means) I have more US family than I do Canadian.
I align myself more with American values and beliefs than this ever more left leaning PC country.

Please PB provide me with my name calling quote. J Rob

Good to learn a few things even thougth some are alitle derailed here.
There is always things to learn here and there is alot of different ways to reach a target and its obvious that durability will be affected,im not the kind of guy who thinks a realy hard running engine has to last forewer,especialy not if its one that has been put togheter on some kind of budget.

-
Back