Major Brake Problem!

-

blano86

Reaction score
I just got my cuda running today and took it out for a test drive. I had it parked for two months working on the engine and transmission. It drove great but stopping was a little worrisome. The brakes worked fine at first but they began too get stuck when I would brake for a stop sign. I would have to stomp on the pedal to release the brakes. When it gets stuck, lifting the pedal does nothing, you have to press it down to the floor then a little more to release the brakes. At high speeds it is even scarier, I was going about 50MPH when I pressed the brake to slow down but the brakes went in further and stopped the car totally. They did not lock up the wheels but they slowed the car to a complete stop without me pressing on the brake any more. My foot was completely off the pedal. Once again I had to stomp on the pedal to make the brakes release and for the pedal to come back. I can barely get the car out of the driveway with out stomping on the brakes to release them!

I have 4 wheel drums with a power booster. I did nothing to the brakes when I rebuilt the engine/trany. So what could have changed or went bad? Is it the booster or maybe the proportioning valve going bad? Has anyone had this problem? I want to get cruising but this is definitely not safe on the road. Braking too much when I don't need to can put my rear end in some ones grill!

Any help diagnosing this will be much appreciated.

Blane

I would bleed out all the old fluid and add new,then rebleed the whole system for starters.Good luck.

PS Check your booster hose for air leaks too!

sounds like the shoe and the backing plate contact point where they meat maybe rusted up and binding
not a mopar but you get the idea
Pic12.jpg

see the lube points?

change the front rubber lines....they are collapsing inside and holding pressure

My best guess is a failing booster. Most other conditions that cause grabbing brakes can't be cured with a pedal kick.

locate a 1/4 inch boxend wrench and take it with you on your next drive, shouldn't
take long until this event happens again..when it does, stop the car (in a safe place)
go out and open the bleed vlave on the back of the front brakes.
tell us what happens.

This is a problem in the booster

Disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the booster, and make a short test drive on a deserted street. I think you'll find that the car stops with much more pedal effort (no boost) but that it does not "stick"

I also think your booster is sticking. Take it apart, you may find your problem. I know they use a special grease for boosters only but cannot tell you where to get it.

Agree. It does sound like some sort of mechanical problem. Check the pedal linkage under the dash, linkage behind the booster, and pull the master cylinder off the booster, make sure the push rod is seated correctly.

If you do need a booster rebuild, check out booster Dewey. He does excellent work, fast turnaround, and you get your original booster back, not a swap.

I used him last year for my 69 Dart. Highly recommended.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

what was the solution?
..for future reference

Sounds like a booster also. I have a 65 that I need to pull apart yet to check out but it is a bolt together booster with a can on the fender and it sticks like you describe.

-
Back