Making my own upper control arms

-
Well here is the first set tacked up and getting mocked up. The width was perfect, but not sure about the angles of the tubes, but I am kind of liking it. Looking at the RMS arms the ball joint angle is different (meaning less), but if you look at the pics with the suspension compressed it looks right. I know these will work and alignment won't be an issue.

I just wanted to check clearance. The wheel is a 15"x7" with 4" of back space and there is plenty of clearance with the tube. The pic was at full lock also. Tomorrow I will fab up some gussets to go on the inside and test fit again.

Attachments

• Jigs2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 691
  • mock.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 708
  • mock2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 690
  • mock3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 687
  • mock4.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 682
  • mock5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 684
I am just amazed with the level of fabrication skills members on here have. Props to you sir!

Damn John. You must have had a late night. They do look good and I'm glad that the fit. Awesome work!

sweeet!! what backspacing do you have on your wheels? will they clear a 17x8 with 5.75" backspace (common mustang wheels guys use on here).

Can you make em so you dont have to take off to adj like the magnum force double adj. Most alignment shops charge by the hour so thats alot of pulling the arm off to adj.

subscribed,, nice work john and a great guy to deal with,,,not like the others out there,,,

Great work! I think we were ALL hoping you'd do this. ;)

Will these work with SB disks?

As long as it will take a big ball joint. I know that some guys ream out the taper bigger.

sweeet!! what backspacing do you have on your wheels? will they clear a 17x8 with 5.75" backspace (common mustang wheels guys use on here).

These wheels are 4" of back spacing. I don't know if that much back spacing will work. I would need to test fit one to make sure. The arms aren't any wider than the RMS arms, but the rear arm does sit up a little higher.

Can you make em so you dont have to take off to adj like the magnum force double adj. Most alignment shops charge by the hour so thats alot of pulling the arm off to adj.

I have thought about doing that, but you could get center the eccentrics and get your camber close at home with the rod ends then all they would have to do is move the adjust the eccentrics like a stock arm.

Now I remember why I didn't do this. I want mine to work with coilovers too. It looks like the magnumforce double adjustable control arms won't work with a coilover.

Very impressive fab work. Quick question, where did you get your threaded shafts for the ball joints.

Looking gooood, now all you have to do is figure out how make some knuckles that will work with the rest of the stuff and a rack and pinion. Then build a K, and oh happy days. Lol.

I am also going to make a set with just straight arms and factory style bushings that will be cheap. Over the next couple of days I will make those jigs.

Looks like you have another winner. I need to start saving money again.

-
Back