man am I having trouble getting motivated

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
As some of you know I'm turning a 74 dart into a 72, but latly I've had a hard time getting motivated to work on it. I went through chemo last year and am now in remission, but have just had one hell of a time wanting to work on the dart.
Last month I lost my job of 38 years but now have another job for a little less money doing something I enjoy doing.
Hopefully I get to wanting to work on the dart this spring and summer, but right now just don't feel like it.
I look at it and know what I want it to look like, but the desire to get it done just isn't there.

I painted it last year and it turned out like crap as far as I'm concerened. So I'm in the process of sanding it back down to do it again. I think that is part of my problem I'm tired of screwing around with the paint and want to get on with something else.

I have painted a couple of cars with little problem but this one is giving me fits.
Anyhow thanks for letting cry on your shoulders for a little bit here. :D

I'm thinkin a serious illness or other health problems can do that. Best wishes to you. I'm not too sure I'd worry much about motivation with what you are going through.

Agreed!! 1st priority is your health!! Give it time that bug will bite and BITE HARD!!
Keep your head up you got another 150 years to finish the dart.

I think we all go through this from time to time. Sometimes the best thing to do is take a break from the cars. Enjoy some other interests. Eventually the bug will bite again.
Hope your feeling better. Take care.

Yeah, everybody is on the money with their advise. Sometimes you just have to step back for awhile. Good luck with your health. Jerry

I get that way sometime, usually it's one of my boys that gets working in the garage which gets me out there then i find I'm out there for hours. The warmer weather with the garage door open always seems to get me going.

Give yourself a break Stan, you've been thru a tough spell and are on the mend. My car sat in untouched my garage for 25 years then I found this place and now draw my inspiration from YOU and all the others to put her back on the road. You'll get your mojo back brother, no worries! Dan

Hay buddy Ive been going though some thing like that u look at the car .. And just just get depressed ... If u need some one to talk to pm me for my number ..

Sometimes it's best to step back and take a break. Get your health together and try to get to feeling good.

Then go to a swap meet/car show and look around. That should help get your motivation back. You can always pay someone to paint your car if that is what you are worrying about.

I have gone thru the same on not being motivated,not to health issues but due to being exhausted and stressed from work.I am now working on my darts one hour after work everyday.I have gotten a lot done in the last three weeks and believe it or not ,it has reduced my stress and I kind of forget about my business problems...
On the weekends,I try to at least get an hour on Saturdays and I end up getting four hours.(I reserve Sunday for maintaining my property and church)
Man,I can not imagine what you have been thru,and stepping back for awhile maybe what the doctor ordered !!!
Martin

Stan i too have lost my motovation on my dart for the last 2 and half years ive been trying to get my car painted with no luck every income tax i get screwed on last year i worked at a restoration speed shop and was actullay thinkin i might have gotten my mojo back the boss offered to put my car in epoxy primer so it would start rusting again well that was just a test rat for the new painter to see if he was experainced enough that lesson cost me 1300 bucks and it aint even a yr yet and there are rust spots showin threw went to work at another place and they got slow so they laid a bunch of people off me included dec 16th then to top it off the doctors tell me the reason why my arm are always sore and shaky is because i have bone spurs in my vertabrae that are pushing on the nerves that go out into my hands. recently i got another dart just to tinker with and its been a challenge aswell but a upside to this since my new dart isnt road worthy yet i drive my 70 dart daily now and it helps with some motovation
goodluck
Terry

Stan,
Glad to hear that you have your health turned around and headed in the right direction. Same with your work.
Now, the Dart...
From your post, sounds like you would like to get motivated. I agree with Karl here, go to a couple car shows and look & talk with some folks. A car show on a beautiful day might just be the shot in the arm (or kick in the pants) you need.
As for paint, you will be your own worst critic. I describe my Duster as a good 20 footer. I know where every run, nick and scratch is in it. But, I got a "First Lady's Choice Award" at a car show yesterday. Maybe you can network at a car club or car show and locate someone that can repaint it for you. Seeing it in color should also be some motivation.
At our local Ace Hardware, on the bulletin board where folks post their business cards, I spotted one that said any tractor painted for $400. This was after I had already painted my Duster. Had I seen it earlier I would have at least checked the guy out. A deal might have been made with me supplying the paint, doing the body work and taping and let the painter do what he does best - shooting paint.
Good luck with it.
C

Stan
Don't feel to bad.... I couldn't seem to get motivated myself awhile back but it slowly went away. I worked in the yard all day yesterday. My boss said he was having the same problem. We both agreed its the weather or something lol!

I just didn't want to anything much less work on my car. Once I moved my car into my new shop it changed it... gave it a better out look. You might want to move your car around a little, make sure the shop is spotless and organized.. just a thought.

It's a beautiful day here in western Washington today. Been out in the shop for a few hours helping my son-in-law put new belts on his BMW. Man what a chore!
I think as the weather gets better I'll get motivated to work on the dart. Thanks All!

Put a "For Sale" sign on it with a really good price. The first serious buyer will get you motivated. It happened to me. The thought of losing the car I had so many years of blood, sweat, tears, and money invested in, got me off my backside REALLY QUICKLY!

-
Back