manual steering advice

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok thinking of going manual. I have a 72 Scamp with a DC BB spool mount K frame all 73+ BBP disc brake steering and suspension. Will any factory box and pitman arm work with my set up? Or should I be looking at specific years?

I think technically as long as you get a matched idler and pitman you can use either the 68-72 stuff or the 73+ style. The only difference between the two is one has the centerlink on top of the arms and the other below (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Pretty sure the link is in the same position from the ground or oil pan on either setup, the pitman and idler just wrap around different.

So just the correct pitman arm? Will pitman arms from different years fit on all years of manual boxes?

If you are using the 73-76 center link, and idler arm, then you need a 73-76 pitman. They MUST be a matched set. You cannot mix these 3 components between 65-72 and 73-76 series. The tapered holes prevent that because one style mounts the pitman and idler on top and one mounts on the bottom.

IIRC, the early 60's a-body boxes used plain sleeve bearings. Then later they changed to ball or needle bearings. I think C-bodies used larger splines on the pitman arm, not sure. I think if you used a box from a mid 60's through early 70's A or B body, you should be alright.

If you have more than one to choose from, usually the one with more threads showing on the sector shaft adjustment screw will have less wear. Typically, as they get used, that screw is adjusted inward to remove some of the slop so a higher mileage one will have fewer threads showing.

-
Back