Manual Tranny Oil temp preparation

-

DieWilde13

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i have a question to you Stick shift racers. How do you manage to get a good temperature in your tranny oil?
I mean, i´m in Germany and weather here is not as warm as in the us.
Sometimes we sleep at the track and when you wake up in the morning, its about what...6°C.
To get temp in the motor is clear, just let it run. But in the tranny is nothing really moving. And then i get pretty hard shifting.
Any idea how to heat up the tranny oil? Or have a idea for better Oil? I use 85W90 right now.

you could run a lower viscosity oil in it the factory service manual recommends using automatic trans fluid in the gear box in colder climates.

and it´s mandatory to have a driver on the drivers seat when doing this. or you could do some donuts and powerslides in the morning, just like the last time :D

What I do is with my first fire up at the track. I put the car in neutral fire up the engine keep it running till it warms up enough so it has a steady idle, with the trans in neutral and clutch out it will be spinning the input shaft and cluster gear shaft which gets the trans fluid churning. Then when the engine is warmed to a steady idle I take the car out for a few laps around the pits shifting all 4 gears up and down to get the warm gear oil through the whole trans. This also gets the rear axle gears and oil moving and puts some heat in the whole driveline.
Now this is my way, not saying it's the right way or wrong, but it has worked for me for the last 20 years with a stick car at the track.

richmond gears, told me, drive the car around, donot, run gears on stands, can cause gears to slap, and develop hot spots on ring gear, i've done both, us gear wants you to run them on stands, just food for thought, the 75/90 syn gear oil lubes faster, ,

-
Back