manual valve body shifting?

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, so bear with me because I am new to automatics. I have never had a car with an auto that I was intending to keep an auto till now.

the question is: if I put a manual valve body in this 727 it will have the pattern reversed which is ok, but how is that going to play out with a factory console shifter. It clicks when you push it up into the next gear and prevents you from moving down, meaning from d to 2 and 2 to 1 without pushing the little button.

Is there a way to modify a factory console shifter to work with a reverse manual valve body?

I will only use a factory part, I never use aftermarket stuff, I just mention that because I can already hear it LOL

you can get the man valve body in forward or reverse pattern.

there was a guy selling plates for factory shifters to make them more like a race shifter.

why ya going with a man valve body anyway?

unless you are planning on racing this thing I see no reason what so ever for a manual RVB. a trans go shift kit would be more than plenty , although you may not like the hard shifts on the street. my 727 is completely stock minus the 10 inch converter and shifts firm for daily use. my duster had a trans go II kit and it shifted a little too harsh for my liking being a daily driver.

it all depends on what you are using the car for. if it is just a DD, I would start out soft and work your way up if you aren't happy with it. it is easy to upgrade while the trans is in the car.... my $0.02

Is there a way to modify a factory console shifter to work with a reverse manual valve body?

No need Rani, your pattern would just be the opposite. 1st where Drive would be, 2nd where 2nd would be and Drive where 1st would be.

reverse valve body is a little funky on a street car: you wanna drop it down drom D3 to low fast? you have to put it between N and 2nd, not just down to the stop. Also if your in D, you have to go through 2 and 1st to get to N. You can do it fast enough so it doesnt actually go into those gears on the way but its just a hassle, ie. what if it does go into 2nd or first on its way to N while you are going 70? it is a full manual so it has no "idiot proofing" and they usually shift pretty hard too. There are also factory detents built into the stock shifter that will make going "up" into first picky as there is no stop into N. Na, stick with a MVB in stock pattern.

No need Rani, your pattern would just be the opposite. 1st where Drive would be, 2nd where 2nd would be and Drive where 1st would be.

As above, you don't HAVE to get a reverse pattern body. But I found mine to be a PITA with a stock shifter. You have to release the push button to shift from 1 to 2, and again 2 to 3, and it's WAY to easy to "miss" and slip from 1 to 3.

If you downshift, there are no locks, so it's WAY to easy to miss and go into 1 or N

I DO LIKE manual bodies. "Way more fun." But you really should have a shifter that allows some safety. With a forward pattern body, you can easily miss from 1 -2 and slip to 3 or N. At full throttle, my car "bangs" hard enough, even when the 318 was in there, that it's easy to miss with the stock shifter.

I've been using a RVM for decades,, and once you're used to it,, it's a piece of cake,, just like knowing how much brake/gas to apply, and putting you hand on the nec. switches at nite..

Outta Park , push the button and release past R,, and it goes into N,, here it will pull back into 1st (d), without a detent,, but you get used to that,,.. a little tug back from N is 1st,, for second a slight press of the button pulling back is 2nd,, a detent will stop it going into 3rd,, then a slightly longer push on the button, gets 3rd (1st)..

Going down is same thing push (without button)forward till it clicks is 2nd,, push forward till next click is 1st... Now my tranny freewheels in 1st,, so if you did accidentally shift into 1st coming down from high,, no biggy,, is just coasts..

The cool thing about the coasting in low,, is if you doing 20 mph in 2nd, drop it into 1st, it coasts,, but when you boot it,, the engine can jump from idle/whatever rpm up to second gear speed,, and the inertia of the rpm buildup nearly pulls the front wheels..

I luv my RVM,

The other bonus I didn't expect,, was being able to start out in second,, usefull in wet/slick conditions with drag radials,, and also for pulling a boat outta the water on wet launch ramps,,.. and outta the water box..

Go play with your shifter pretending it's reverse shift,, and use the palm of your hand to activate the button..

hope it helps

-
Back